just a question...

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2006 12:05 pm
I've got a question that came upon me this morning. Say you're at war. If you shoot and kill someone, would you be considered a murderer in God's eyes? Why or why not?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,158 • Replies: 12
No top replies

snood

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2006 12:06 pm
Man, that's a serious question. Pretty simple and to the point, but still one I have to think about before answering...

anyway until I do -
welcome to A2K...
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2006 12:11 pm
God is not a concept to which human activity can relate to.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2006 01:11 pm
Re: just a question...
baseballchic wrote:
I've got a question that came upon me this morning. Say you're at war. If you shoot and kill someone, would you be considered a murderer in God's eyes? Why or why not?

Depends upon god's definition of "murderer."
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2006 01:14 pm
Are they shooting back at you? If your life is in danger, then it's self defense and no, it's not flat out murder.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2006 01:21 pm
Bella Dea wrote:
Are they shooting back at you? If your life is in danger, then it's self defense and no, it's not flat out murder.

That's my thinking too...

what if they were getting ready to shoot other people? You'd be saving a bunch of other lives. no, i guess that doesn't work too well does it.

You know what...?

This is the question I always think about...

What if you're in a war (or other circumstances for that matter) and another person is so badly injured there's no way they could live, and were in horrible pain.
Would it be murder to put them out of their misery, as opposed to living a few more minutes, with no chance that help will come, or if it did, no chance of saving the person?

Remember in the movie Saving Private Ryan? The medic giving overdoses of morphin to guys blown to bits?

I'd do that. Or I'd shoot them if they asked.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2006 02:24 pm
The more interesting question is this one.

Quote:

If you are at war and someone shoots and kills you are they a murderer?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2006 05:45 pm
Chai, I was thinking along the same lines the other day after reading an article about the New Orlean's doctor and a couple of nurses who are being investigated to overdosing some patients during the Katrina hurricane.

If charges are brought, that's a jury I wouldn't want to be on.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2006 07:40 pm
boomerang wrote:
Chai, I was thinking along the same lines the other day after reading an article about the New Orlean's doctor and a couple of nurses who are being investigated to overdosing some patients during the Katrina hurricane.

If charges are brought, that's a jury I wouldn't want to be on.

OMG Boomerang!

When I was writing that, that situation was in my mind also!!!

Shortly after Katrina I was listening to an NPR interview with the dtr of one of the women in a nursing home. She stayed with her mother as long as she could, but was finally forced to leave. She was saying how the last thing her mother asked her was to sing her her favorite gospel song.

I think about this, the heat, the storm, the frailty of the elderly, who had been bed bound for a long time before this. I think to myself...if I were there, would I want my last hours to be in the hell, or to quietly go to sleep in peace. Was the doctor and the nurses really fulfilling the oath of first do no harm by keeping these people from the final delerious moments? Would they have been doing harm by not helping them go on to the next stage?

I too thought about having to serve on that jury.
wow.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2006 08:19 pm
Freaky!

I thought the same things as I read the article.

That is one sleeping dog that should be left entirely alone.

I worked at the evacuation center in your city during the hurricane aftermath and saw the desperation and exhaustion and downright dismay of the people from New Orleans.

I don't know the entire situation but off the top of my head I'd say the doctor and her nurses did a profound service to the people that they allowed to die with some peace and dignity.

Of course.... I live in the suicide state... and I have voted to allow doctors to help people die (twice)....

..... anyway....

I hope charges are never brought against any of them.
0 Replies

EpiNirvana

Reply Tue 25 Jul, 2006 09:49 am
The bible does not ever says that self protection, war, death pentalty is murder, as you can see in the entire old testament and parts of the new. Murder is defined as the vengful or thoughtless killing of another. which does sound alot like this war.
0 Replies

najmelliw

Reply Tue 25 Jul, 2006 10:02 am
There is another issue at stake here: Can anything be more important then a human life in the eyes of whatever god you believe in?
If not, then no. If yes, then yes.
Frankly, this stands on par with the trials of the Nazi soldiers after the war. When they say: Ich habe es nicht gewust. Or Befehl ist befehl.
Same issue. Is there an excuse for atrocious behavior?
0 Replies

baseballchic

Reply Wed 26 Jul, 2006 03:47 pm
najmelliw wrote:
There is another issue at stake here: Can anything be more important then a human life in the eyes of whatever god you believe in?
If not, then no. If yes, then yes.
Frankly, this stands on par with the trials of the Nazi soldiers after the war. When they say: Ich habe es nicht gewust. Or Befehl ist befehl.
Same issue. Is there an excuse for atrocious behavior?

this is true. i personally dont believe that there is an excuse for atrocious behavior, but what about those who believe there is? it doesnt excuse them but they may believe that it does.
0 Replies