Can a Christian be a good American?

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2006 06:58 am

Recently, an email chain letter has been spamming its way into countless thousands of inboxes around the world. No, this one isn't about erectile disfunction or low-rate mortgages - it's titled "Can a Muslim be a good American?" It attempts to make the case that Muslims can never become "good Americans" because of their religious beliefs (including, ironically, the fact that they are "intolerant"). I've seen this message several times in the last week and I'm already very, very sick of it. So, in the interest of fairness, here is my tongue-in-cheek response.

Theologically, no, because his allegiance is to Yahweh, the ancient Hebrew god.

Scripturally, no, because his allegiance is to Christianity and the bible.

Geographically, no, because his allegiance is to Israel, the home of "god's chosen people".

Socially, no, because his allegiance to Christianity forbids him to make friends with Muslims or Jews.

Politically, no, because he must submit to his spiritual leaders, who teach annihilation of all who do not share their faith.

Domestically, no, because he is encouraged to take slaves and beat them if they are disobedient.

Religiously, no, because no other religion is accepted by his Yahweh except Christianity - intolerance.

Intellectually, no, because he cannot accept the separation of church and state - a founding principle of the USA.

Philosophically, no, because Christianity, Yahweh, and the bible do not allow freedom of religion and expression.

Democratically, no, because Christianity and democracy cannot coexist.

Spiritually, no, because the Christian god is neither loving nor kind.

http://www.noreligion.ca/index.php?topicID=47
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,308 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Cyracuz

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2006 10:59 am

You're really asking if christians can be trusted. The most disturbing of all the beliefs is the belief that their religion is certainty. That is the only belief I feel I have some right to protest, because it has indirect effect on me, who has to live next to someone running on remote control...
0 Replies

EpiNirvana

Reply Tue 25 Jul, 2006 10:11 am
i think freedom has got it so far, but my only question is what would make a good american?
0 Replies

real life

Reply Tue 25 Jul, 2006 10:25 pm
Re: Can a Christian be a good American?
freedom4free wrote:

Recently, an email chain letter has been spamming its way into countless thousands of inboxes around the world. No, this one isn't about erectile disfunction or low-rate mortgages - it's titled "Can a Muslim be a good American?" It attempts to make the case that Muslims can never become "good Americans" because of their religious beliefs (including, ironically, the fact that they are "intolerant"). I've seen this message several times in the last week and I'm already very, very sick of it. So, in the interest of fairness, here is my tongue-in-cheek response.

Theologically, no, because his allegiance is to Yahweh, the ancient Hebrew god.

Really? So America demands allegiance to a god of some kind, and you are saying this would be a conflict? Which god does America demand allegiance to? I thought you were all about separation of church and state?

freedom4free wrote:
Scripturally, no, because his allegiance is to Christianity and the bible.

So America has a different scripture that it demands allegiance to? What is it?

freedom4free wrote:
Geographically, no, because his allegiance is to Israel, the home of "god's chosen people".

This is probably the silliest of the list, since nowhere is the Christian commanded to hold allegiance to the turf in Israel.

freedom4free wrote:
Socially, no, because his allegiance to Christianity forbids him to make friends with Muslims or Jews.

Ok, so THIS is the silliest. Or the stupidest. Where did you get such an idea?

freedom4free wrote:
Politically, no, because he must submit to his spiritual leaders, who teach annihilation of all who do not share their faith.

Where is the Christian taught to annihilate those who aren't Christians?

freedom4free wrote:
Domestically, no, because he is encouraged to take slaves and beat them if they are disobedient.

Apparently you are quite creative at making things up, or incapable of understanding what you read, but Christians are not encouraged to take slaves.

freedom4free wrote:
Religiously, no, because no other religion is accepted by his Yahweh except Christianity - intolerance.

Ok so Christianity is not accepted by America? Is that what you are saying? Or are you again claiming that to be a worthy American one must hold to a religion which is not Christianity? (You also seem rather intolerant of Christians, or hadn't you noticed?)

freedom4free wrote:
Intellectually, no, because he cannot accept the separation of church and state - a founding principle of the USA.

Where is the phrase "separation of church and state" mentioned in either the Declaration of Independence, the Constitution or the Bill of Rights? Surely a 'founding principle' would be referenced repeatedly. Where?

freedom4free wrote:
Philosophically, no, because Christianity, Yahweh, and the bible do not allow freedom of religion and expression.

Odd isn't it that nations such as the U.S. which have the strongest influence from Bible-reading and Bible-believing people , also have the strongest traditions and laws protecting freedom of religion. The atheist countries ( the Soviet Union and Communist Europe of a few decades ago, Communist China today, etc) , on the other hand..........

freedom4free wrote:
Democratically, no, because Christianity and democracy cannot coexist.

You might want to read the Bible sometime and notice the many times the people chose their own leaders.

freedom4free wrote:
Spiritually, no, because the Christian god is neither loving nor kind.

Not feeling the love from you, that's for sure. You sound angry and bitter. Only your pretension to 'tolerance' provides any comic relief.
0 Replies