The Blinding Speed of Media

Reply Sun 25 May, 2003 04:58 pm
Now I just went on line and passed as usual through the Apple default site in my particular startup routine. And there, in the AMAZING NEWS position of the apple page was a headline: Who Knew That Garlic Did That? Being on the worshipful side of Garlic, I chedcked out the story and reading it I discovered that The Experts were amazed to discover that garlic had strong anti oxident and in particular anti-cancer powers.

Rolling Eyes

Problem with this Amazing News: I knew that garlic did that. And it wasn't and kind of news to me. I learned that years ago in my wanderings through this world. So I wonder: did you know this? Did you know garlic for thousands of years (perhaps tens of thousands) has been considered more of a medicine than a food. Its chemistry strengthens the heart, the circulation, the clarity of the brain and the All Important Sex Drive. Garlic is one of nature's wonders.

But the experts are just finding this out.

So I guess my question is: who made these people the experts?

Question
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,122 • Replies: 17
No top replies

Beedlesquoink

Reply Sun 25 May, 2003 05:12 pm
Here I prove but a fledging in this forum. I did not mean to enter this post in this particular forum.

My bad...
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Sun 25 May, 2003 05:21 pm
Well.... I never pay attention to catagories anyway, so who knew.

Garlic is great stuff (even though I forgot to put any in the chili today.)
0 Replies

Beedlesquoink

Reply Sun 25 May, 2003 05:27 pm
Very Happy

Seal Poet, just the sort I was fishing for! How are you? Last time I heard you were thinking of picking up the guitar... What came of this?

A domestic sort of question: What's the time span of chili in your house? Here it lasts four days. Shopping I think in terms of cooking sessions per week. I think three per week is tolerable and even fun.
0 Replies

cobalt

Reply Sun 25 May, 2003 05:31 pm
Well Squeedle or Boink or whatever - I might not
have found this topic if it was in "Food" or "General" or "Human Interest", so I think it is fine right where it is. After all, many folks would think the topic quite trivial. Unless, of course, one was a great big fan of garlic!

I agree with you that the "blinding speed of media" would be a good title for this inquiry. "News" seems to be that which someone doesn't know already or that which attracts attention for some reason known to the provider of the item.

What's that saying about "nothing new in the world"? Variations, minutia, trivia, whatever!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 25 May, 2003 05:45 pm
Where would you like it to be, Beedle? It can easily be moved by a Moderator.

I knew that garlic was supposed to be an anti-oxidant and a natural antibiotic and such. I did not - other than via its role as an anti-oxidant - know that it was supposed to have a role with cancer.

I ought to go out and get some kyolic garlic right now, to help me shift this terrible lergy I am burdened with!

The thing is, the media pick up this and that fad and fancy, and pretend it is new and news - or they know no better - or perhaps there has been some new and respectable scientific study done on garlic? it would be interesting if there had been, since many herbal and natural medicines are now being subjected to the rigours of scientific method.
0 Replies

Beedlesquoink

Reply Sun 25 May, 2003 05:46 pm
Hey Cobalt. Yah. It is ever thus. Now I recently read that moderate excercise is prefereable to strenuous... stren-strain-pain... yes, I already visited that one without the experts.

Now the question is: how do those as sensible as we get declared the experts?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 25 May, 2003 05:47 pm
Yup, it isn't news. :-) Want me to move it?
0 Replies

Beedlesquoink

Reply Sun 25 May, 2003 05:55 pm
Dlowan--

Indeed, many of the (often placebic) herbals are being subjected to the scientific method.

Now this lethargy of which you speak... Perhaps it is not a bad thing. I have an uncle who ran a moving company for many years, til his doctors told him it was wearing him down. So he left that work and opened up a stationary store. He's doing splendidly.
0 Replies

Beedlesquoink

Reply Sun 25 May, 2003 05:56 pm
Craven--wave your cyber wand old bean!

I do so admire you all powerful sorts...
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 25 May, 2003 06:04 pm
LOL, where to?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 25 May, 2003 06:04 pm
That is lergy, beedle! As in bug - tis an old Goon show thing - they had a show about a terrible epidemic, known as The Dreaded Lergy (hard "g") - lergy is quite often used to describe an illness that is "going around".

And - never put down the wondrous placebo! Even western medical drugs are measured only for their effect above what is to be expected of a placebo - and some perform only minimally above that line - and this with the whole glamour and, somewhat fading, tinsel and glitter of western medicine behind them!

If I can heal myself with my own mind, well, that is a lovely thing, and not to be sneezed at - achooooo....
0 Replies

Beedlesquoink

Reply Sun 25 May, 2003 06:06 pm
At you as well
0 Replies

Beedlesquoink

Reply Sun 25 May, 2003 06:07 pm
Craven--Human Interest.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 25 May, 2003 06:10 pm
Ok, I moved it.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 25 May, 2003 06:13 pm
.....makes a fairish Puck, don't he Beedle? ; )
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 25 May, 2003 06:35 pm
We need an addictions category. Garlic falls into the land of addictions for me, especially roasted garlic with anything or nothing, or baby bok choy - steamed and served with a sesame oil/garlic dressing.

I'd heard it was good for me, but I was raised to avoid garlic at all costs, as it really wasn't for decent people. Learning about the wonders of garlic was probably one of the significant outcomes of a university education.
0 Replies

Beedlesquoink

Reply Sun 25 May, 2003 06:36 pm
Dlowan: ...all is mended. Craven: Dude, I'm putting up a shrine! (Oooma Bonga Ooooma Bonga he be heap mumbo mojo!!) OK, OK, I'll calm down, it's justa bit of sleight of hand, or a hand of sleight of bit. Whatever. There. I'm all Categorically Correct. I haven't felt as comfy in years. Now, Garlic. You were all sayin'...?
0 Replies