What Is The Difference Between Catholic And Prodestant?

Reply Mon 17 Jul, 2006 11:32 am
Why are they different, and do they have different Bibles?

I had a conversation about this in very short, and it was said that the Catholic bible is different. It has more Books? They also said that the King James version is a Prodestant bible. Is that true?

Educate me please.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 8,269 • Replies: 18
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 17 Jul, 2006 11:41 am
If you have to ask a question like that, i doubt that you'd be ready for the answer.

To even begin to explain the differences would require pages and pages of detailed response.

Here's some things for you to look up:

Avignon Papacy
Simony
The Great Schism
Jan Hus
The Waldensians
The Council at Konstanz (you'll probably find the Council of Constance more easily, though)
Martin Luther
The Ninety-five Theses
The Imperial Diet at Worms
The Augsburg Confession
Jonh Calvin and Ulrich Zwingli
The Geneva Bible
The Institutes of the Christian Church
John Knox
Henry VIII as Defensor Fidelis, and then as founder of the Anglican Church
Predestination
Arminianism
The Puritans
The Presbyterians
John Wesly, Evangelism and Methodism
Joseph Smith, the Angle Moroni and Mormonism

And that will only scratch the surface . . .
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 17 Jul, 2006 12:01 pm
I Googled 'Prodestant' thinking you were referring to some sort of deterministic philosophy.

As near as I can tell, the word 'predestant' would refer to the seemingly random outcome of a chain of events, where 'prodestant' would refer to some eventuality deliberately caused, no matter how far in advance. Neither word is widely used, however, so the definitions are unclear.

Catholics, with their belief in reprobation, would be prodestant by this reckoning. Wouldn't you agree, Set?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 17 Jul, 2006 12:03 pm
Would i agree that the thread title is hilarious? Definitely . . . but i was trying to be polite by taking no notice . . .

(Pssssst . . . that's Hey-Zeus behind those shades . . . careful what you say . . . )
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 17 Jul, 2006 12:04 pm
I think it's something that prodes you.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 17 Jul, 2006 12:08 pm
You know, i was thinkin' about somethin' else . . . you ever notice how Hey-Zeus pictures always look like some kinda surfer dude, and not a Jew?
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 17 Jul, 2006 12:12 pm
Indeed. 'Twould be fun to see a pictorial history of how JC's image evolved to the Western fella we know and love...
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 17 Jul, 2006 12:15 pm
Setanta wrote:
Would i agree that the thread title is hilarious? Definitely . . . but i was trying to be polite by taking no notice . . .

(Pssssst . . . that's Hey-Zeus behind those shades . . . careful what you say . . . )
Stuff always goes over my head. Where would I be without you to explain?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 17 Jul, 2006 12:16 pm
I just don't want you to do yourself an injury, Boss . . .
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 17 Jul, 2006 12:17 pm
I think I'll go buy a six pack of coke in case you want to come over.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 17 Jul, 2006 12:18 pm
How about this guy . . . is this more plausible?

http://www.publicpixel.com/mesp/photos/photoz/jew.jpg
0 Replies

lightfoot

Reply Sat 22 Jul, 2006 10:44 pm
Why the kids building block on his head???
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 22 Jul, 2006 11:23 pm
Ain't that a phylactery?
0 Replies

Tico

Reply Sun 23 Jul, 2006 12:19 am
Seriously, guys ~ I'm sure the difference between a protestant and a catholic is about $10, otherwise known as a 'tithe'.

Razz
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 23 Jul, 2006 12:23 am
Set, your guy is too old. Right amount of grumpiness though.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 23 Jul, 2006 08:27 am
Jeremiah- I am assuming that you really don't know much about the two faiths, and want a simple, straight forward explanation.

http://www.religioustolerance.org/chr_capr.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Books_of_the_Bible
0 Replies

Colleenanne112

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 11:27 pm
Rude. Let's show a little Christian compassion
Or at least show some humanity...this must not be a forum for evolved species:
I didn't know how to spell it either, Jer.

Top 10 signs that you are in the wrong church:

:: 10. The church bus has gun racks. :: 9. The church staff consists of senior pastor, associate pastor and sociopastor. :: 8. The Bible they use is the Dr. Seuss version. :: 7. There is an ATM in the lobby. :: 6. The choir wears leather robes. :: 5. The worship services are B.Y.O.S. (bring your own snake). :: 4. There's no cover charge but communion is a two-drink minimum. :: 3. The pastor regularly attends meetings in Las Vegas and Atlantic City. :: 2. The ushers ask, "Smoking or non-smoking?" :: 1. The Women's Quartet are all married to the pastor.
0 Replies

Bartikus

Reply Wed 2 Aug, 2006 09:10 pm
Re: Rude. Let's show a little Christian compassion
Colleenanne112 wrote:
Or at least show some humanity...this must not be a forum for evolved species:
I didn't know how to spell it either, Jer.

Top 10 signs that you are in the wrong church:

:: 10. The church bus has gun racks. :: 9. The church staff consists of senior pastor, associate pastor and sociopastor. :: 8. The Bible they use is the Dr. Seuss version. :: 7. There is an ATM in the lobby. :: 6. The choir wears leather robes. :: 5. The worship services are B.Y.O.S. (bring your own snake). :: 4. There's no cover charge but communion is a two-drink minimum. :: 3. The pastor regularly attends meetings in Las Vegas and Atlantic City. :: 2. The ushers ask, "Smoking or non-smoking?" :: 1. The Women's Quartet are all married to the pastor.

Now that is funny! Laughing

Welcome Colleen....
0 Replies

quiconnait

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2009 05:08 pm
@Jeremiah,
At the time the King James was made, several books were dropped as they tended to promote the Catholic view of things. These are usually referred to as the apocryphal books.
The main differences in Catholicism and protestantism are theological. Catholics believe the miracle of the transubstantiation, that during mass the bread and wine literally become the body and blood of Jesus in all important aspects. Protestants tend to believe this is symbolic, and that the bread is still bread, the wine, still wine.
Many protestants go with just the Bible as their source of faith. "If it isn't in the bible, then it's not divine word." Catholics also respect holy tradition as a manifestation of God's Will. In ways, the Catholic Version is more American, as we don't just go by the book in our legal system, but also allow for precedent and common practices which may not be recorded.
Hope this helps!
0 Replies