London's new work by Rem Koolhaas

Reply Fri 14 Jul, 2006 12:45 pm
Two articles about it, starting with

Mushroom or Muffin, Rem Koolhaas's helium-filled "Non-Pavilion" for the Serpentine Gallery in London
link -
http://www.hughpearman.com/2006/22.html

http://www.hughpearman.com/2006/illustrations/RemSerp%20003a.jpg
photo by Hugh Pearman

A speech bubble for London
By Edwin Heathcote
Published: July 4 2006 18:00 | Last updated: July 4 2006 18:00
(in Financial Times)

"Architecture," Rem Koolhaas once said, "is lethally slow." In his latest building, just completed in London's sylvan Kensington Gardens, Koolhaas has made an almighty effort to speed it up with an extraordinary balloon, constructed in super-quick time, tethered to the grass and sheltering a translucent structure below. This is the new Serpentine Pavilion, a temporary building to sit beside the eponymous gallery, commissioned each year by its director Julia Peyton-Jones from an important architect who has yet to build in the UK. Those featured include Zaha Hadid, Daniel Libeskind, Oscar Niemeyer and Alvaro Siza.

The new building evokes a thousand metaphors, from the hot air of interminable architectural theory to Chaplin's great dictator toying with the globe, from Renaissance domes to the enduring visionary idiocy of future worlds sustained in great bubbles on alien surfaces. And they are all appropriate.

Link for rest of article --
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/f0bfca52-0b7c-11db-b97f-0000779e2340.html

I found these articles via the online newsletter for architectural news from archnewsnow.com.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,770 • Replies: 3
No top replies

kitchenpete

Reply Tue 19 Sep, 2006 09:23 am
I've seen it from the outside and it looks very cool.

It is normal to have changing large scale installations on that site each year.

KP
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Tue 19 Sep, 2006 09:40 am
Haven't seen this one yet, Steve, but last years (or was it the year before) looked like a bloody great wooden armadillo, to me.

This looks a lot "cooler". Nice.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 19 Sep, 2006 09:46 am
I've often liked Koolhaas' work, not that I can name specific places right this minute - though I think he did the new Seattle library.

I'm remembering a house that had a glassed in something-room that could move vertically from upstairs to down; seemed cool (heh) at the time.
0 Replies