World Heritage in Germany

Reply Sat 24 May, 2003 03:42 am
This weekend, the German towns of WISMAR and STRALSUND will get their charters for being in the UNESCO list of World Heritage.

Stralsund and Wismar town centres are typical examples of the Hanseatic towns at the peak of their development during the prime of the Hanseatic League in the 14th century. The ancient town centres have retained their medieval layout and bear wit-ness to the establishment of towns thriving on shipping business according to the "Law of Lübeck".

The original buildings, amongst them a number of distinctive monuments, serve to illustrate the political impact and the extraordinary wealth of the medieval Baltic towns. Wismar is the most authentically preserved Hanseatic town on the southern Baltic.

Stralsund is marked by its characteristic insular location between the Strelasund and the 13th century lagoons. A cluster of six monumental redbrick churches affords a frame of reference concerning the renowned sacred architecture typical of the Hanseatic towns.

http://www.unesco-welterbe.de/en/pics/staedte/bilder_760/stralsund.jpg
above:
GOTHIC CURCH AT STRALSUND
below:
HISTORIC TOWN CENTER WISMAR
http://whc.unesco.org/sites/images/1067g.jpg

The complete list of towns - with more in Germany and Europe, is to be found here:
List: World Heritage

For more information, have a look at this site:
History full of life
where you'll find route-suggestions, descriptions etc.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,991 • Replies: 6
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 29 May, 2003 10:39 pm
Walter, My interest surged as soon as I saw your name on this forum. I've been one of those very lucky blokes in this world that have traveled to many World Heritage Sites. Your intro to WISMAR and STRALSUND whet my appetite for more travel to Germany, but as you know I'll be tied up until next summer. I hope you're still around to provide some 'first hand' orientation when I next visit your country. c.i.
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Fri 30 May, 2003 12:39 pm
Well, the pictures provided by Mr. Hinteler prove that these wonderful places really deserve being on the UNESCO list.
By the way, C.I., are you British or American? You called Mr. Hinteler a "bloke", and this sounds very much British...
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 30 May, 2003 12:43 pm
steissd

When you go to "Member's profile", you can read that c.i. is " 67 year old male of Japanese American ancestry living in Silicon Valley of California".

(What can be witnessed by me, since I've met c.i. personally.)
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 30 May, 2003 01:25 pm
steissd, "Bloke" just means man, but in my use, it was an endearing title for Walter - since our meet was in the UK. c.i. Wink
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Fri 30 May, 2003 01:27 pm
I know what does the word "bloke" mean, but I considered it being an absolutely British term for a man, along with "lad" for a guy/boy and "lass" for a girl/young woman.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 30 May, 2003 01:52 pm
Wink c.i.
0 Replies