Bird Flu Pandemic? Not at all. Read on....

Reply Wed 12 Jul, 2006 09:20 pm
Subject: bird flu
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 19:34:09 +0000

Who knew?
Now that CBS has scared the daylights out of us with their
"Bird Flu Pandemic" two hour atrocity, you might read the following...sent
on to me by a friend.

It was written by a Doctor...and presents a more sobering
view of the threat. "Bird Flu"

Do you know that 'bird flu' was discovered in Vietnam 9
years ago?

Do you know that barely 100 people have died from it
throughout the whole world in all that time?

Do you know that it was the Americans who alerted us to the
efficacy of the human antiviral TAMIFLU as a preventative?

Do you know that TAMIFLU barely alleviates some symptoms of
the 'common' flu?

Do you know that its efficiency against the common flu is
questioned by a very large part of the scientific community?

Do you know that against a SUPPOSED mutant virus such as
H5N1, TAMIFLU barely alleviates the illness?

Do you know that to date Avian Flu affects birds only?

Do you know who markets TAMIFLU?

ROCHE LABORATORIES !

Do you know who sold the marketing rights for TAMIFLU to
ROCHE LABORATORIES in 1996?

GILEAD SCIENCES.

Do you know who was the then president of GILEAD SCIENCES
INC. and remains a major shareholder?

DONALD RUMSFELD, the present Secretary of Defense of the USA!

Do you know that the base of TAMIFLU is crushed aniseed?

Do you know who controls 90% of the world's production of
this tree?
ROCHE.

Do you know that sales of TAMIFLU were over $254 million in
2004 and more than $1000 million in 2005?

Do you know how many more millions ROCHE and GILEAD can earn
in the coming months if this business of "Bird Flu" fear and panic
continues?

So the summary of the story is as follows:

Bush's friends decide that the medicine TAMIFLU is the
solution for a pandemic that has not yet occurred and that has caused only a
hundred deaths worldwide in 9 years. (In normal conditions the virus does
not affect humans.)

This medicine doesn't so much as cure the common flu.

Rumsfeld sells the marketing rights for TAMIFLU to ROCHE for
which they pay him a fortune.

Roche acquires 90% of the global production of crushed
aniseed, the base for the antivirus.

The governments of the entire world are threatened by a
"possible" pandemic and then buy industrial quantities of the product from
Roche.

So we end up paying for medicine while Rumsfeld, Cheney and
Bush continue to spread pandemic fear in order to do their
business...along with their other big one...oil.
Might anyone like to challenge these assertions with facts to the contrary?
As I've said, the American propaganda machine is alive and well. Cool
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 555 • Replies: 2
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 12 Jul, 2006 10:02 pm
I don't know if this conspiracy stuff holds together or not. I do know that bird flu has affected humans already... it is just not in its present form very transmissible, though I know I saw once or twice recently that there are indications of its human to human transmission.

There have been a few articles I've run across by reputable folk (sorry, I'm not much of a link collector) about the long time seeming inertia of the virus to jump to a more transmissible state from human to human.

But... your conspiracy filled link missed on the obvious, about transmission to humans.

It seems the equivalent to me of the fear mongering about the bird flu (I'll agree I've seen fear mongering), in that it is fear mongering in the other direction. Or reads like it. It may pan out, but the hysterical tone isn't in itself a convincer.
0 Replies

pachelbel

Reply Wed 12 Jul, 2006 10:44 pm
ossobuco wrote:
I don't know if this conspiracy stuff holds together or not. I do know that bird flu has affected humans already... it is just not in its present form very transmissible, though I know I saw once or twice recently that there are indications of its human to human transmission.

There have been a few articles I've run across by reputable folk (sorry, I'm not much of a link collector) about the long time seeming inertia of the virus to jump to a more transmissible state from human to human.

But... your conspiracy filled link missed on the obvious, about transmission to humans.

It seems the equivalent to me of the fear mongering about the bird flu (I'll agree I've seen fear mongering), in that it is fear mongering in the other direction. Or reads like it. It may pan out, but the hysterical tone isn't in itself a convincer.

Thanks for your input.

I do not think this is a conspiracy theory; it is documented that Rummy owns the stock. It should make people fearful, but I do not see a hysterical tone in it. Perhaps you will like the cnn article; it says the same thing. Why is it hard to believe that such a twisted human being like Rumsfield would conjure up a scam like this?

There are countless sites and articles about it. Here are some to check: www.willthomas.net, www.technocrat.net, www.snowboard-mag.com and this from cnn and Fortune Mag. writer. No hysteria there.

Rumsfield Spinning Bird Flu Story for Profit?

As seen in this cnn article:
http://money.cnn.com/2005/10/31/news/newsmakers/fortune_rumsfeld/

Rumsfeld's growing stake in Tamiflu
Defense Secretary, ex-chairman of flu treatment rights holder, sees portfolio value growing.October 31, 2005: 10:55 AM EST
By Nelson D. Schwartz, Fortune senior writer

NEW YORK (Fortune) - The prospect of a bird flu outbreak may be panicking people around the globe, but it's proving to be very good news for Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld and other politically connected investors in Gilead Sciences, the California biotech company that owns the rights to Tamiflu, the influenza remedy that's now the most-sought after drug in the world.

Rumsfeld served as Gilead (Research)'s chairman from 1997 until he joined the Bush administration in 2001, and he still holds a Gilead stake valued at between $5 million and $25 million, according to federal financial disclosures filed by Rumsfeld.

The forms don't reveal the exact number of shares Rumsfeld owns, but in the past six months fears of a pandemic and the ensuing scramble for Tamiflu have sent Gilead's stock from $35 to $47. That's made the Pentagon chief, already one of the wealthiest members of the Bush cabinet, at least $1 million richer.

Rumsfeld isn't the only political heavyweight benefiting from demand for Tamiflu, which is manufactured and marketed by Swiss pharma giant Roche. (Gilead receives a royalty from Roche equaling about 10% of sales.) Former Secretary of State George Shultz, who is on Gilead's board, has sold more than $7 million worth of Gilead since the beginning of 2005.

Another board member is the wife of former California Gov. Pete Wilson.

"I don't know of any biotech company that's so politically well-connected," says analyst Andrew McDonald of Think Equity Partners in San Francisco.

What's more, the federal government is emerging as one of the world's biggest customers for Tamiflu. In July, the Pentagon ordered $58 million worth of the treatment for U.S. troops around the world, and Congress is considering a multi-billion dollar purchase. Roche expects 2005 sales for Tamiflu to be about $1 billion, compared with $258 million in 2004. Rolling Eyes

Rumsfeld excused himself from any decisions involving Gilead when he left Gilead and became Secretary of Defense in early 2001. And late last month, notes a senior Pentagon official, Rumsfeld went even further and had the Pentagon's general counsel issue additional instructions outlining what he could and could not be involved in if there were an avian flu pandemic and the Pentagon had to respond.

As the flu issue heated up early this year, according to the Pentagon official, Rumsfeld considered unloading his entire Gilead stake and sought the advice of the Department of Justice, the SEC and the federal Office of Government Ethics.

Those agencies didn't offer an opinion so Rumsfeld consulted a private securities lawyer, who advised him that it was safer to hold on to the stock and be quite public rather than sell and run the risk of being accused of trading on insider information, something Rumsfeld doesn't believe he possesses. So he's keeping his shares for the time being.

Convincing, don't you think so? I challenge anyone to find evidence to the contrary. That BushCo is a bunch of money grubbing carpet baggers is evident. That the American public is swallowing their lies and eventually their phony flu remedy is also evident. They are all laughing all the way to the bank.
0 Replies