The Religion of Myths

xingu

Reply Sat 15 Jul, 2006 07:51 am
Quote:
Were elements of Jesus' life copied
from other saviors/god-men/heroes?

Quotations

"The devil, whose business is to pervert the truth, mimics the exact circumstances of the Divine Sacraments...Thus he celebrates the oblation of bread, and brings in the symbol of the resurrection. Let us therefore acknowledge the craftiness of the devil, who copies certain things of those that be Divine."
Tertullian, late 2nd century CE, commenting on the many similarities between Mithraism and Christianity.

"...are our..[beliefs] to be accounted myths and theirs [the Christians'] believed? What reasons do the Christians give for the distinctiveness of their beliefs? In truth, there is nothing at all unusual about what the Christians believe..."
Celsus, late 2nd century CE, commenting on the similarities between the beliefs of Christians and followers of other religions.

"He who will not eat of my body and drink of my blood, so that he will be made on with me and I with him, the same shall not know salvation." An inscription to Mithras which parallels John 6:53-54.

"What profit has not that fable of Christ brought us!" A quote attributed to, but apparently not made by, Pope Leo X

"Jesus is a mythical figure in the tradition of pagan mythology and almost nothing in all of ancient literature would lead one to believe otherwise. Anyone wanting to believe Jesus lived and walked as a real live human being must do so despite the evidence, not because of it."
C. Dennis McKinsey

"There is not a conception associated with Christ that is not common to some or all of the Savior cults of antiquity."
J.M. Robertson

SOURCE
0 Replies

Jason Proudmoore

Reply Sat 15 Jul, 2006 03:45 pm
There are tons and tons of examples that I didn't include in the thesis because I didn't want it to be extremely long for SOME readers.

But I have more trivias for you, guys:

you notice how the Devil is depicted as being half-man half-goat? This idea is also taken from Greek mythology, from a creature called "Satyr."
A Satyr is a creature much like a Faun… but a Satyr is bigger and stronger, and it has strong sexual urges, a "corrupt" being…though considering evil. Fauns are small versions of Satyrs; they are mischievous, innocent creatures who carry around long flutes with them all the time, getting into trouble.

(I remember when I watched the film "The Chronicles of Narnia," my former Literature professor (still in contact with) asked me if I thought that Tummus the Faun was going to rape Lucy when he took her to his house…and I said, "it crossed my mind." And my Professor told me, "Fauns don't do that. They're innocent creatures.")

Prometheus, one of the Titans who stole fire from Mount Olimpus and gave it to humanity, has a parallel connection with the Devil in the Bible. They both interfere with the plans of their gods for the benefit of humanity. While the Devil rebels against whatever God stands for and is thrown to hell to be imprisoned for a thousand years as a consequence, Prometheus is chained to a rock in a Caucasus mountain for all eterniny, where a vulture comes every day and eats his liver that regenerates (that is until Hercules comes and frees him.) There is another character in Greek mythology who acts against the main god for the good of humanity: Ishtar, who likes humanity very much, warns Utnapishtim about Enlil's plans for a flood… and because of Ishtar's warning, humanity is saved from total destruction. Similarly, the Devil affirms Eve that she would not die if she ate from the Tree of Good and Evil…and that they would gain knowledge if they ate from the tree. They did not die when they ate from the Tree, and the Devil saved Adam and Eve from being "kept in darkness" forever by a childish god who lacked proper training. And Lucifer also proved god to be selfish and a liar, two of the many attributes that the Greek gods posses.

I have asked this questions many, many,many times and nobody has ever given me a logical and sincere answer: why did God demand the sacrifice of animals in His name in the Old Testament? Did He feel joy in the display of blood and agony from the subjects? How was sacrificing animals necessary? Why doesn't God require the sacrifice of animals anymore? Well, if the Christians can't provide a logical answer to those questions, maybe Greek mythology can explain why their gods demanded humans to sacrifice animals in their names. The only reason why sacrifices took place in ancient Greece was that every time an animal was put to death and a ritual took place in the name of the gods, it was believed that the fat and certain parts of the animal turned into nectar and ambrosia, which are know as foods of the gods…simple. But since God doesn't require sacrifices anymore, does it mean that he used to eat nectar an ambrosia and now He doesn't? Interesting…
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 15 Jul, 2006 03:55 pm
You're mixing Sumerian mythology with Greek mythology there, but you appear to be sorta on the right track - cultures and their mythologies go inextricably together; they are symbiotic, interdependent, growing out of one another.
0 Replies

Jason Proudmoore

Reply Sat 15 Jul, 2006 04:07 pm
timberlandko wrote:
You're mixing Sumerian mythology with Greek mythology there, but you appear to be sorta on the right track - cultures and their mythologies go inextricably together; they are symbiotic, interdependent, growing out of one another.

Oops...I know what you mean. I'm too consumed with the Greeks lately. I think I can fix it:

"There is another character in Sumerian mythology who acts against the main god for the good of humanity: Ishtar, who likes humanity very much, warns Utnapishtim about Enlil's plans for a flood."

Much better.
0 Replies

Jason Proudmoore

Reply Fri 21 Jul, 2006 03:15 pm
I wanted to add one more thing:

The following is Lord Raglan's hero pattern, where he takes the basic models of the "typical" hero and assigns them scores…as how many of these events they have in their lives.(Lord Raglan's hero patter was taken from the texts "In Quest of the Hero" and "The Hero").

(1) The hero's mother is a royal virgin;
(2) His father is a king, and
(3) Often a near relative of his mother, but
(4) The circumstances of his conception are unusual, and
(5) He is also reputed to be the son of a god.
(6) At birth an attempt is made, usually by his father or his maternal grandfather, to kill him, but
(7) He is spirited away, and
(8) Reared by foster-parents in a far country.
(9) We are told nothing of his childhood, but
(10) On reaching manhood he returns or goes to his future kingdom.
(11) After a victory over the king and/or a giant, dragon, or wild beast,
(12) He marries a princess, often the daughter of his predecessor, and
(13) Becomes king.
(14) For a time he reigns uneventfully, and
(15) Prescribes laws, but
(16) Later he loses favor with the gods and/or his subjects, and
(17) Is driven from the throne and city, after which
(18) He meets with a mysterious death,
(19) Often at the top of a hill.
(20) His children, if any, do not succeed him.
(21) His body is not buried, but nevertheless
(22) He has one or more holy sepulchers.

Below, on the left, are many heroes who fit Raglan's hero pattern. And the numbers [on the right] represent how many of the above attributes and events these heroes are identified with.

Heroes
(1) Oedipus (22 points)
(2) Theseus (20 points
(3) Jesus (19 points)
(4) Romulus (17 points)
(5) Heracles (17 points)
(6) Perseus (16 points)
(7) Jason (15 points)
(8) Bellerophon (16 points)
(9) Pelops (13 points)
(10) Asclepios (12 points)
(11) Dionysos (19 points)