god and creation- a dualistic notion?

Cyracuz

Reply Tue 11 Jul, 2006 02:12 pm
Whenever I discuss the idea of god with someone I get the impression that most people think in terms of god and creation.

There is god, and then there is creation- what god made.

But on my mission to understand the truth in all the different stories I hear I've come to thinking about the issue god/creation as one dualistic notion, where we are simply looking at the same thing from different angles.

Any thoughts?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 809 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Cyracuz

Reply Thu 13 Jul, 2006 01:42 pm
No thoughts?

Feel free to tell me how silly you think this notion is if that's what you're thinking....
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 13 Jul, 2006 02:24 pm
I don't necessarily think it is silly--i can't imagine anyone believing in a deity and not believing the deity were a creator. However, i don't know that it is an example of dualism. Generally, when i think of dualism, i think of a dichotomous description of equal and polar opposite concepts. So, i wouldn't consider a deity and a concommitant creation to necessarily be dualistic.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Thu 13 Jul, 2006 02:28 pm
Well, I'm thinking that the deity is the creation.

Think of any tool. A hammer doesn't get it's value from what it is made of. It gets it's value from what it can do, and the houses you assembled using it stand as testament to it's worth.

Similarly, the greatness of god is creation, and that is how I see the two ideas as dualistic counterparts.
0 Replies

BDV

Reply Thu 13 Jul, 2006 06:24 pm
Isn't a living earth the "Gaia Hypothesis"? remember something about it but can't be bothered looking it up again.

Anyway Dualism in christian religion is good god vs bad god, gnosticism & Marcionism believed in that. Old testament = Bad God & new testament = Good God. I have probably over simplified it, but I hope you get the idea......
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Sun 16 Jul, 2006 10:26 am
I get the idea BDV, but I think it's a bit beside the point.
Good and bad, regardless of context, is a subjective verdict, and the aspect in it's entirety is contained in one side of the notion god/creation. In creation.

In terms of art, we are all familiar with how an artist can make a painting, but also with how a painting can make the artist. The identity of both is closely linked.
0 Replies