If you have problems with popups read this

Reply Sat 8 Jul, 2006 05:09 am
So far, not a single case of users blaming A2K for their spyware problem has been caused by Able2Know. Before you think your problem has attained this unique distinction please take a moment to think about what's really causing your problem:

- If you can be infected merely by visiting websites, the problem is that your computer is wide open and exploitable. It needs to be patched, or your settings need to be set to secure settings. A more common vector for spyware installation is through bundling with other software (some that you may want) or tricking the user into doing it themself. You need to find out why your computer is getting infected, because websites have no possible way to infect a patched computer without critical vulnerabilities.

- A lot of the more complex spyware these days is activated by certain common markup strings (code that all websites generate). This is used to disguise client-side (on the user's computer) spyware with server-side (on a website's server) sources. This is aimed at getting users to try to fix websites instead of remove the malicious software from their computers. Just because visiting A2K causes your symptoms to appear doesn't mean you don't have the problem right on your computer itself. This behavior is aimed at diverting you from removing the malware and you should not fall for it.

In short, get help from computer experts (try the computer forum on Able2Know, many many people have been helped with spyware removal there). I have spent a lot of time fighting malware at work and here on A2K and am a wee bit miffed when people try to blame A2K for things it just isn't responsible for doing to them, so I'm going to just refer you to this thread if you are barking up the wrong tree instead of repeating myself (sometimes to the very same people over and over again who are, themselves, the problem with their computer).
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,274 • Replies: 1
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 8 Jul, 2006 06:34 am
I've had a few of these pop ups appear on a2k, but have been here long enough to know to fix my computer instead of blaming this site. In each case it was not that difficult to solve.
0 Replies