Leave no child where?

New Haven

Reply Fri 23 May, 2003 06:39 am
I went to "inner city schools", and I turned out fine. What's the big deal about "inner city schools"??
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Fri 23 May, 2003 06:44 am
I think the phrase denotes an acceptable -- inevitable -- underclass. Time to end that cr*ap.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Fri 23 May, 2003 06:46 am
Tartarin wrote:
Why do we take for granted -- accept -- the concept of "inner city schools"?

What's the concept of "inner city schools"? I'm a product of 12 years of education in the inner city, prior to my 9 years of college, likewise in the inner city.

What's the deal, here?
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Fri 23 May, 2003 06:47 am
Tartarin wrote:
I think the phrase denotes an acceptable -- inevitable -- underclass. Time to end that cr*ap.

"UnderClass?

Don't you mean "middle class"?
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Fri 23 May, 2003 07:18 am
"Inner city schools" doesn't refer to, for example, the central city private schools in New York (Dalton, Brearley, etc.) but underfunded, unpopular (to teachers and students) crumbling structures in economically depressed neighborhoods. That's how the phrase is used in discussions of the public school system. What troubles me is that the existence of these places has become acceptable, and along with it the concept of a permanent underclass in America. "It's their fault."
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Sat 24 May, 2003 07:07 am
Drove past the big high school in a neighboring county seat yesterday. The sign usually posts scheduled events. I'm reproducing yesterday's message as accurately as I can -- there was no punctuation, not the slightest hint of cheer or humor:

YOU ARE THE
FUTURE DO YOU
LIKE WHAT YOU
SEE
0 Replies

Anon

Reply Sat 24 May, 2003 01:45 pm
Dys:

So this is the law Bush pushed for accountability, etc? It doesn't sound like anyone wants to be accountable!

Anon
0 Replies