I NEED HELP IN UNDERSTANDING LATVIANS

Reply Thu 22 May, 2003 03:01 am
When I think about Latvians, this is what comes to mind:
* Pointy noses and small chins.
* Mousy quiet people who walk along the sidewalk, blending in with the buildings (so as not to be followed by the KGB?)
* Old cobblestone streets and black-market vendors (turned Capitalist now!)
* A flat land, dairy, forest, bakeries, a few MIG's and not much else.
* Good beer. No. Really good beer.
* Everybody looks and sounds just like ... my Dad.
* Technically educated and motivated people. For pretty cheap too!
* One point on the Triangle of Triumph: Lithuania, Estonia, and the indominatable ... Latvia!
* Amber. Need I say more? Baltic Gold!
* Janis Vakars, Midsummer Night's Eve. Ah, the ... the... well it was something I tell you.
* Did I say good beer?

To those of you who have lived in or near Latvia or who have just visited the country, is any of what I have said true? Help me to understand the Latvian people.

(No stereotypes, please).
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 12,205 • Replies: 83
No top replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 22 May, 2003 05:48 am
[I'm just wondering: do you get money for every 'click' on this thread? :wink: ]
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 22 May, 2003 07:29 am
You've nailed it CodeBorg. A perfect description of every Latvian I've ever met, keeping in mind that Merry Andrew and I did not quite connect the last time he was in New Mexico.

I have to wonder if they don't share an interesting trait of Native Americans. Each one of them, of course, walks in single file.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Thu 22 May, 2003 07:48 am
Re: I NEED HELP IN UNDERSTANDING LATVIANS
CodeBorg wrote:
When I think about Latvians, this is what comes to mind:
* Pointy noses and small chins.
* Mousy quiet people who walk along the sidewalk, blending in with the buildings (so as not to be followed by the KGB?)
* Old cobblestone streets and black-market vendors (turned Capitalist now!)
* A flat land, dairy, forest, bakeries, a few MIG's and not much else.
* Good beer. No. Really good beer.
* Everybody looks and sounds just like ... my Dad.
* Technically educated and motivated people. For pretty cheap too!
* One point on the Triangle of Triumph: Lithuania, Estonia, and the indominatable ... Latvia!
* Amber. Need I say more? Baltic Gold!
* Janis Vakars, Midsummer Night's Eve. Ah, the ... the... well it was something I tell you.
* Did I say good beer?

To those of you who have lived in or near Latvia or who have just visited the country, is any of what I have said true? Help me to understand the Latvian people.

(No stereotypes, please).

I'm still trying to understand New Englanders!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 22 May, 2003 08:05 am
To understand New Englanders you must first understand Latvians.

<Is that deep, or what?>
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 22 May, 2003 09:19 am
Ahhhhhhh, sweet Latvia.

Never been there. It sounds like somewhere with good bread.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 22 May, 2003 10:06 am
<grin>
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 22 May, 2003 10:09 am
goodness - I haven't even understood Finland yet!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 22 May, 2003 10:13 am
Nobody ever thinks about the Island of Yap, do they <sob>
0 Replies

Sugar

Reply Thu 22 May, 2003 10:45 am
I can speak to one point. My tech company has a few ISP contracts in Latvia. Any contact I have had with them are incredibly pleasant and they are very technically savvy and have a great work ethic. It's always a pleasure to deal with my contacts there.

Maybe that sound a bit 'stereotypical', but that's just my professional experience.
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Thu 22 May, 2003 10:55 am
I visited Latvia in May 1990, three months prior to having left the USSR. At that time the separatist trend there was very strong, and the fact of my speaking Russian made me some problems: the salespersons in the shops tended to ignore me pretending to having not understood (this was not true, since in the Soviet time everyone there knew Russian). The similar situation happened when I needed asking the way: I could not get an answer until I met the local Russian man. But, a positive point: unlike savage Chechens, the civilized Latvians never resorted to violence (I am not talking about 1944-52 when there were several foci of guerilla activity in the forests), either verbal or physical. They just ignored Russians.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 22 May, 2003 11:13 am
steissd wrote:
But, a positive point: unlike savage Chechens, the civilized Latvians never resorted to violence

Unlike vice versa, the year after ('91) ...
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Thu 22 May, 2003 11:30 am
And what exactly happened in 1991? Did Latvians commit any terror attack against the USSR?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 22 May, 2003 11:43 am
steissd

Since you like -as you said on another thread- to hear the opinion of people, living actually there:
January 1991: A dream came true.. by Irina Jakovleva
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Thu 22 May, 2003 11:57 am
Well, I never opposed Latvians' claims for independence, even when I was a Soviet citizen (I did not support this either being a loyal citizen of the USSR, but I did not have any principal opposition to such an idea). Unlike Chechens, they are mature and civilized enough to have a self-rule without becoming troublemakers and terrorists.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Thu 22 May, 2003 12:16 pm
Before they broke up with Mother USSR, I thought Latvia, Lithuania and Estonia were the names of the mean step-sisters of Cinderella.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 22 May, 2003 12:17 pm
baez, there's only two of them: labia and lungia.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Thu 22 May, 2003 12:20 pm
Well, not really.

I knew they spoke different languages and were forced to "Russification", following Stalin's linguistic theories (steissd, you can find that sort of stupid reluctance to understand in Catalonia, Spain: some of them "forget" Spanish untill they realize you're not Castillian and suddenly remember it, and turn nice).

I knew Latvians like wrestling, Lithuatians like basketball and Estonians like nordic skiing.
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Thu 22 May, 2003 12:44 pm
Latvians like ice hockey as well. In the Soviet period they had quite a decent ice hockey team in Riga.
By the way, do Catalonians respond when they are being addressed in English? And who are Castilians? Are not they just "regular" Spaniards, since Castilia is an area in Spain?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 22 May, 2003 12:45 pm
I could get into nekkid skiing, too . . . no doubt about it . . .

Oh . . . nordic skiing . . . never mind . . .
0 Replies