Sick joke (or art?): Fans injured kicking concrete footballs

Reply Wed 5 Jul, 2006 09:53 am
Quote:
July 4, 2006

Sick Joke in Berlin

Fans Injured Kicking Concrete Footballs

Pranksters in Berlin took things a step too far when they filled footballs with concrete and displayed a sign goading fans to kick them -- with inevitable results

http://www.spiegel.de/img/0,1020,658415,00.jpg

OK, so not everyone is into football, and to those who are not enthusiasts this must feel like the longest month ever, but that hardly justifies the sick joke that unknown perpetrators played recently on football fans in Berlin. Someone seems to have gone out of their way to cause people genuine harm by placing six footballs on the capital's streets and a sign asking people to kick them. The catch? The balls were filled with concrete.

"Can u kick it?" was written on a poster near the innocuous looking footballs. So, probably without thinking too long about it, two young guys, aged 21 and 23, took up the challenge and gave the balls a good kick. Unfortunately the leather balls had been filled with concrete and weighed around 10kg each. The men sustained foot injuries so severe that they had to go to hospital.

According to the police, the balls were tied to lampposts, banisters and trees near the Fan Mile in the city center, a spot where thousands of football fans pass through each day.

Police spokesperson Hansjörg Dräger told Spiegel Online, "Unfortunately we have no information about the suspects." He confirmed that they are being sought for assault. The police are still not certain if all the balls are out of circulation, and have asked Berliners to report any suspicious looking footballs immediately.
Source

According to latest news, two young Austrians (29 and 26 years old) were arrested this afternoon.
Police found several already completed concrete balls plus more not yet finished.
They are charged on bodily injury caused by negligence, attempted seriusly body injury and dangerous interference in road traffic.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 597 • Replies: 8
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 5 Jul, 2006 10:13 am
negligence?
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Wed 5 Jul, 2006 11:11 am
That is a premeditated intent to do harm. Sick is the only word for it.

Isn't the foot the part of the body with the most bones? Imagine what these poor guys are in for to get everything healed. Awful.
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Wed 5 Jul, 2006 12:13 pm
Not that this excuses the perpetrators in any way, but if you saw a football tied to a lamppost with a sign saying "Can u kick it?", wouldn't you at least give 'em a little tap before kicking them with all your might--assuming you even bother to follow the sign at all?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 5 Jul, 2006 12:18 pm
Yeh, I would, but still...
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 5 Jul, 2006 12:56 pm
Well, each evening, there are some 100,000 mad people around in Berlin, mad about footbal and certainly a bit tipsy (yesterday more than 1 million) .... and then such happens easily I think. (The World Championship is the reason, why the State Security police was investigating and not the normal CID.)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 5 Jul, 2006 02:14 pm
I was thinking that too, Walter... one's natural good sense sometimes flies away after a bit of beer, etc.

Oddly, I can see it as almost art, if it didn't have the intent to harm element to it..
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 5 Jul, 2006 02:28 pm
nobody quetioned the chains and the nut on the footballs> "How do they attach a nut to a leather ball and still keep it inflated" In US they would have picked the balls up to steal them and then it would have been clear.

We glue giclees of 20$ bills to the concrete and watch as people try to pry em up.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 5 Jul, 2006 02:30 pm
My mental association when I saw the Ball & Chain picture was a Georgia Convict's wardrobe.

Different countries, different customs.
0 Replies