Who you were then, is who you are now.

Booman

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2003 05:21 pm
Visitor,
..Kids are so much more advanced today. Plus people don't underestimate kids like they used to. All kids coming up in our household now, are started on their ABC's, at age two. A two year old neighbor who spends a lot of time here, Types, and identifies letters on my computor. ....When I was in kindergarten, we colored , and played games. now they have reading basics.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2003 06:36 pm
Yeah, Boo. My son was playing computer games at 3. Pre-reading games. And operated the mouse as well as I do. By the time he got to kindergarten, he already knew the phonetic sounds of most of the letters. However, he still wasn't ready to read on his own until first grade. Which they tell me is typical...
0 Replies

nextone

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2003 10:10 pm
Booman wrote:
Sometimes I'll pronounce a persons name I've never seen before, and they are amazed, because other people, more educated than I, always have trouble with it if they haven't seen the word before. This amazes me, because, I'm not that bright, I just remember the rules, my heroine, Mrs. Carter taught me....Excuse me if I rambled, that's a pet peeve of mine. Embarrassed

Booman, Have found pronouncing names can be tricky. What you see may not be what you get right.....Is Stein stine or steen? And where do the syllables break....Li ber ace (also foreign pronunciations.....Camus.)

Always enjoyed meeting students at the start of a term and learning their names. Once I was so focused on a girl's polysyllabic surname that I misread/missaid her three letter first name: Tea. Yup, called her the beverage instead of Tay a.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2003 11:02 pm
I've always heard it as "Leberachi." c.i.
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2003 11:41 pm
Names are the trickiest. I confess that studying a foreign language, gives me an edge, but the main point is; there's a difference in not getting a name, or word wrong because it doesn't go by basic reading rules, and not being to pronounce a strange word, because, you don't know the rules.
..For instance, if you know how to read, I can understand you mispronouncing, poignant, or Francais., but not antidisestablishmentarianism. There are no unusual syllabic sounds, in the latter. It's a simple word.
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2003 11:44 pm
I just had to check and see what the heck the topic was. Very Happy
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2003 05:17 am
Boo, the topic is people. Razz

The basic thing we are looking at here is early environment and how it influences who we are today. In between, of course, there is education of every kind. Vocabulary and pronunciation are part of it.

We had a friend who was a lawyer who insisted that the word was gaze
bo. Someone didn't get encouraged to listen as a child. Laughing
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2003 12:03 pm
I know I've shared this before on another forum, but I must share it here, because it's about 'pronunciation' of names. During my first class in philosophy, the professor asked me to read from the texbook, and I pronounced Socrates as - "So-crates." The whole class including the professor laughed. How can I forget? c.i.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2003 12:34 pm
I have been listening to people butcher Quinney all my life and to me, it sounds just like it looks, but what do I know, I heard it around the house a lot.

I also have no trouble with little bastard. Mr. Green
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2003 12:52 pm
Bi and CI. Life's embarrassing moments.

Bi, don't laugh; please pronounce Quinney for me. Embarrassed

My brother-in-law said when he was a kid, he got into this book about a villain whose name was "Roger". He thought it was pronounced RO-GAR.
When he found out the name was harmless Roger, he never finished the book Razz
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2003 01:01 pm
Quinn knee
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2003 06:31 pm
That's (kwen nee) right?
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2003 06:49 pm
ah, nee. Leave it to Boo.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2003 07:23 pm
no, kwinn nee. short i.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2003 08:04 pm
somebody all happy with herself.

Boo, Bi is just a wuss at heart. Razz
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2003 10:11 pm
Short i, short e, basically the same thing. anyway, I would have pronounced it right. It's so easy. (Me having graduated from elementary school and all Cool )

Letty!...Behave!.. Twisted Evil
0 Replies

williamhenry3

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2003 10:26 pm
Wheww!

Glad the Quinney pronunciation has been settled.

What's the next word on the list . . . Question
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2003 10:31 pm
Slow down WH,....I've strained my brain enough, for the week. Confused
0 Replies

sweetcomplication

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2003 12:00 am
how about those confusing words in the Pledge of Allegiance?

. . . government for Richard Stands, . . . :wink: Laughing
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2003 06:04 am
Hey, sweetcom, great! It's obvious that you have a left coast sense of humor Cool
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/17/2024 at 10:53:04