What aspect of prayer is the beneficial one?

aperson

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2006 11:04 pm
As you say, Infrablue, prayer is a lot like meditation. Apart from one thing - prayer gives you hope in times where you lack it.
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Sun 25 Jun, 2006 01:17 am
I think any benefit that comes from prayer stems from the belief that it will work.
Focused belief, regardless how erroneous, has been repeatedly shown to be a powerful medium.
Case in point - the effectiveness of placebo within the medical profession.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 25 Jun, 2006 12:04 pm
I think if it works, that's more important than understanding why.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 25 Jun, 2006 12:24 pm
snood wrote:
I think if it works, that's more important than understanding why.

Precisely!~
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 25 Jun, 2006 12:39 pm
Well, hello there; we're back and it must have been the prayer. <smile>
0 Replies

Greyfan

Reply Fri 30 Jun, 2006 06:02 pm
Chris Isaak on the Chris Isaak Show expressed the position closest to my own (paraphrasing):

Prayer is a little bit like kicking a dead horse. Might not do any good, but then again, it doesn't do any harm either.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Sat 1 Jul, 2006 07:53 am
Why would you want to kick a dead horse? Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 1 Jul, 2006 10:10 am
<smile> Cyracuz, that's an idiom, Norway. It simply means doing something that is not necessary. Greyfan was observing that prayer may or may not work, but either way, it cannot hurt.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Sat 1 Jul, 2006 01:16 pm
Are idioms related to idiots? :wink:

I am an idiot. It means a person who is politically independent. Smile
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sat 1 Jul, 2006 01:23 pm
I'd prefer a comparison to something like wishing on a star to kicking a dead horse, personally. I think its just the aesthetics of the visualizing one or the other.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Sat 1 Jul, 2006 01:34 pm
How about "flogging a dead horse"? Smile

Although wishing upon a star is more in tune with the subject I guess.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sat 1 Jul, 2006 01:37 pm
Hmmmm.... nope - I like the star thing better than the dead horse thing.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 1 Jul, 2006 01:40 pm
Y'all are funny. Wells are for Disney; stars are for counting; and dead horses are for glue factories.

How about hope, a thing with feathers. <smile> Now we're out of idioms and into metaphors.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Sat 1 Jul, 2006 01:49 pm
I think hope is a good thing. But you mustn't ruffle it's feathers...

And a curious thing is that while I consider myself to be rather sceptical of nature, I've experienced situations where hope won out over logic.

Maybe it's a force of nature.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sat 1 Jul, 2006 09:24 pm
Yup, hope is good, IMO.
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Tue 11 Jul, 2006 04:10 pm
Re: What aspect of prayer is the beneficial one?
Cyracuz wrote:
It is my claim that prayer is not beneficial because of the entity you're praying to, but because of the act itself.

It is an act of humbleness, of reminding oneself that there are greater forces than want and need.

But could prayer be even more beneficial if we were to exclude the aspect of a higher entity from them? I think that would be meditation.

Any thoughts?

I think hope is what makes prayer beneficial. I think everyone needs hope. Though I'm certainly not implying that prayer is the only way to find it. The most angry, bitter, depressed, sad, people I have personally met have been those who have held no hope that their situation could change. So, most of the time it doesn't. Hope is a motivator. It helps someone to look outside of the current circumstance and see the possibility of something more. Something better.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 12 Jul, 2006 03:26 am
Re: What aspect of prayer is the beneficial one?
hephzibah wrote:
Cyracuz wrote:
It is my claim that prayer is not beneficial because of the entity you're praying to, but because of the act itself.

It is an act of humbleness, of reminding oneself that there are greater forces than want and need.

But could prayer be even more beneficial if we were to exclude the aspect of a higher entity from them? I think that would be meditation.

Any thoughts?

I think hope is what makes prayer beneficial. I think everyone needs hope. Though I'm certainly not implying that prayer is the only way to find it. The most angry, bitter, depressed, sad, people I have personally met have been those who have held no hope that their situation could change. So, most of the time it doesn't. Hope is a motivator. It helps someone to look outside of the current circumstance and see the possibility of something more. Something better.

Some of the most angry, bitter, depressed, sad, people I have personally met have been those who have held no hope that their situation could change....and instead of working to change it...sit around praying to their gods to have it change for them.

People who "pray" have no lock on hope.
0 Replies

BDV

Reply Wed 12 Jul, 2006 07:35 am
Surely if God is Omnipotent, Omniscient & Omnipresent, then praying is pointless as he already knows you need help, what is gonna happen to you and that you are/where going to pray in first place.

I would agree with the idea that you should get off your ass and actually do something about your situation rather than moan to God.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 13 Jul, 2006 12:44 am
Okay - got it. Prayer sux. I think we can move on now....
0 Replies