It's a philosopher's job to tell people how to live

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 26 Jun, 2006 05:18 am
coberst wrote:

Like Yitwail…I question this.

What makes you suppose we (or you, for that matter) "know" any of that stuff????

Quote:

Why you would say such a think I find amazing. Do you not regard learning to be of any value? Perhaps it is that you have not studied philosophy. Of course that is not anything to be ashamed of. I was totally ignorant of philosophy until I was almost forty.

I suspect this is a case of you underestimating.
0 Replies

coberst

Reply Mon 26 Jun, 2006 05:57 am
Frank asks--"What makes you suppose we (or you, for that matter) "know" any of that stuff????"

Because everything we experience and know requires our input and our input is greatly determined by our environment and our environment is greatly determined by philosophical theories. If you speak English you think in English. If you think in theories you cannot remove yourself from the makers of theories.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Mon 26 Jun, 2006 06:11 am
Quote:
If you speak English you think in English.

Do you?

I don't think our mind works in languages. That is applied by us. How else could I explain that the thoughts I have sometimes are easier to express in different languages. I might read something in english that sparks a thought, although the thought may be in norwegian, and vice versa.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Mon 26 Jun, 2006 06:12 am
Coberst

I'd think all of that would only confirm the appropriateness of frank's question.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 26 Jun, 2006 07:35 am
Cyracuz wrote:
Coberst

I'd think all of that would only confirm the appropriateness of frank's question.

Thanks, Cyracuz. And Amen.

I have no idea of why Coberst thinks he answered (or even responded) to my comments with that last post.

Coberst....take another look at what I said.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Mon 26 Jun, 2006 08:58 am
Cyracuz wrote:
Quote:
If you speak English you think in English.

Do you?

I don't think our mind works in languages. That is applied by us. How else could I explain that the thoughts I have sometimes are easier to express in different languages. I might read something in english that sparks a thought, although the thought may be in norwegian, and vice versa.

or even for someone who's monolingual, surely there are times when one cannot "think of" the exact word. also, Noam Chomsky's theory of transformational-generative grammar, a forerunner of cognitive science with its emphasis on innate knowledge, seems to be at odds with coberst's claim:

Quote:
transformational-generative grammar, linguistic theory associated with Noam Chomsky, particularly with his Syntactic Structures (1957), and with Chomsky's teacher Zellig Harris. Generative grammar attempts to define rules that can generate the infinite number of grammatical (well-formed) sentences possible in a language. It starts not from a behaviorist analysis of minimal sounds but from a rationalist assumption that a deep structure underlies a language, and that a similar deep structure underlies all languages. Transformational grammar seeks to identify rules (transformations) that govern relations between parts of a sentence, on the assumption that beneath such aspects as word order a fundamental structure exists. Transformational and generative grammar together were the starting point for the tremendous growth in linguistics studies since the 1950s.

transformational grammar." The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, Sixth Edition. Columbia University Press., 2003. Answers.com 26 Jun. 2006. http://www.answers.com/topic/transformational-grammar
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Mon 26 Jun, 2006 11:15 am
Coberst,

Firstly, let me congratulate you on finally getting a thread off the ground. The continuity is a direct result of the contentious claims which you appear to support....this will always attract a reaction....a point worth noting perhaps.

To get to the actual proposition about "a philosophers job" this may simply be "to question the assumed" especially questions concerning "knowledge" and "existence". Now it may be that the "critic" of lifestyles becomes the "setter" of lifestyles...I'm thinking of Marx here...but the danger is of course that the detailed thinking is glossed over by "the masses" in a parody of "one liners".

It IS the case that professional philosophers sit on ethics committees and help to steer discussion of complex issues like "cloning", but this could hardly be called telling people how to live their lives. The umpire does not decide the rules of the game, only their resolution in cases of dispute...and this judgement even if arbitrary merely functions as a form of conflict resolution.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Mon 26 Jun, 2006 11:20 am
Coberst,

Firstly, let me congratulate you on finally getting a thread off the ground. The continuity is a direct result of the contentious claims which you appear to support....this will always attract a reaction....a point worth noting perhaps.

To get to the actual proposition about "a philosophers job" this may simply be "to question the assumed" especially questions concerning "knowledge" and "existence". Now it may be that the "critic" of lifestyles becomes the "setter" of lifestyles...I'm thinking of Marx here...but the danger is of course that the detailed thinking is glossed over by "the masses" in a parody of "one liners".

It IS the case that professional philosophers sit on ethics committees and help to steer discussion of complex issues like "cloning", but this could hardly be called telling people how to live their lives. The umpire does not decide the rules of the game, only their resolution in cases of dispute...and this judgement even if arbitrary merely functions as a form of conflict resolution.
0 Replies

coberst

Reply Mon 26 Jun, 2006 02:00 pm
My computer is down. I will be back shortly. I hope!
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Mon 26 Jun, 2006 06:07 pm
I've been having problems too. A2K is just slooooow. I have trouble loading threads and replies. At times I just get the message that the page doesn't exist. Confused
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 26 Jun, 2006 06:51 pm
It's been happening to everyone - on the Announcements page, it says A2K will be slow the next few days...
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Mon 26 Jun, 2006 07:48 pm
I think a good philosopher can relate to people using modern day situations in contrast to ancient rules of thumb. If your handy with both aspects of culture then you can point these things out using your index finger for punctuation.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Mon 26 Jun, 2006 07:48 pm
Good to hear it's not my newly installed firewall that's acting up..
0 Replies

coberst

Reply Tue 27 Jun, 2006 05:28 am
0 Replies

coberst

Reply Tue 27 Jun, 2006 05:31 am
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 27 Jun, 2006 11:37 am
Coberst wrote:

Quote:

I assume you think all this is correct.

If so…why are you not agreeing with me that the statement: It is a Philosophers job to tell people how to live….is bullshyt???
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Tue 27 Jun, 2006 11:41 am
The business of philosophers is the acquisition of wisdom. Doctors of Philosophy in Philosophy are seldom much more than a repository of Philosophical writings. So called "philosophers" may be less entitled to the classification than the janitor who cleans up after you. Few philosophers are terribly successful, though they may be very influential. Some become wise and provide an example for us to follow. Some go to their graves unmarked and never known.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Tue 27 Jun, 2006 04:18 pm
Coberst,

You seem to have little idea of what academic philosophers actually do. Most of the time they do not advise on anything but argue amongst themselves as to the nature of fundamental concepts such as "knowledge" (epistemology) "existence" (ontology) "morality" (ethics) etc. This "standing on the shoulders" is a naïve and misguided view of the paradigmatic and spasmodic progression within the philosophical literature.
The philosophical corpus is as much influenced by external cultural and scientific and mathematical developments as it is by its own incestuous debate. Such external "nourishment" from others is rightly recognized in my opinion by the awarding of the degree "Doctor of Philosophy" to those working at the limits of there own fields..
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Wed 28 Jun, 2006 06:49 am
coberst, went back & read your answer. i'll comment on 2 passages:

coberst wrote:

if that was just the first step, it's going to take a long time for you to retrace the journey to its destination, correct? so i'll have to content myself with asking you for references. in the meantime, though, i'd like to know how you account for free will. since your original post asserted that philosopher's should tell people how to live, it implies that people can choose how to live.

Quote:

i think i understand your example, but you've introduced a new concept, cultural belief, which you haven't explained. also, introducing culture complicates your earlier characterization that "human reason is a form of animal reason," does it not?
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Wed 28 Jun, 2006 09:30 am
coberst wrote:

That's quite a romanticized view of philosophers. It may be true that the mere act of reasoning means we are indebted to Aristotle, but this thread purports to be about "living life," and the act of reasoning doesn't even begin to approximate what "living life" involves. What's missing is what conclusions are being drawn--again, you demonstrate your lack of concern for specificity, for actual examples. "Living life" happens only when ideas are put into practice, and it's only through practice that these ideas can prove their merit. If "the act of reasoning" is the closest you can get to "living life," well, then it's no wonder you can believe as ardently as you seem to in the ideas you're presenting in this thread.

You put it best when you wrote:

Quote:
If you think in theories you cannot remove yourself from the makers of theories.

There was a time when a "theory" was a way of organizing one's observations. You're proceeding in the opposite direction: you're shaping your observations to fit the theory. "Thinking in theories" is another way of saying "letting theories do the thinking for you."

It is both the luxury and the curse of abstract philosophizing that it has no negative repercussions: when you hover so high above the real world, anything goes because you've turned your back on testing. This is what enabled you to write "I guess
0 Replies