Norewegian TV/ Blue Tits Have their Own Reality Show

Reply Sun 18 May, 2003 05:57 am
Norwegian TV audiences, bored by the spate of reality shows, have something new, and certainly much more exciting to watch. A photographer specializing in bird life has set up a pair of Blue Tits, in a living room environment. TV watchers can observe the birds mating, laying eggs, and raising the young chicks for the next two months:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/3037563.stm

What do you think of this idea? Last year, I had seen a webcam of nesting storks, and I found it fascinating. I think that it is a great show for the kids to watch, both to learn about reproduction and nurturing of the young, and gaining an appreciation for wildlife.

What do you think?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,304 • Replies: 1
No top replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 18 May, 2003 06:41 am
Last year the New York City Parks Department had a program to release four Bald Eagle chicks into the wild. They had a webcam installed to watch the platform where the chicks had to learn to fly. It was fascinating to watch.
There were four chicks, one really smart one, two about average and one dumdum that everyone loved. One dramatic moment: She couldn't get her courage up for two days just to get back onto the platform after she had hopped to nearby branch. We watched as she sat there while the others happily ate her food.
Finally, she jumped. It was like seeing one of your own kids make it home safely.

It was great on the net but I don't see Fox going for it this summer.
0 Replies