Teen Who Fed Cat to Gator Could Face Five Years

Reply Sun 18 May, 2003 05:37 am
A teenage boy in Florida stole his neighbor's cat, stunned it, and threw it in a lake to feed to the resident alligator:

Link to cat/alligator story

If tried as an adult, he could get up to 5 years in jail, and a $10,000 fine.

I have a different condern. Although this boy has not been in trouble before, his behavior disturbs me beyond the outrage that I feel about the act itself. There is a strong correlation between children who are cruel to animals, who go on to commit heinous acts against human beings later on in life. I am also concerned that the boy took his neighbor's cat, showing callous disregard for the neighbor's feelings.

IMO, before the law looks to put this kid in the pokey, he needs to be evaluated, carefully, by a psychiatrist. If he does show signs of an anti-social personality disorder, I think that he needs to be put in a place where he can't do any more serious harm, possibly to people.
What do you all think?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,388 • Replies: 4
No top replies

roger

Reply Sun 18 May, 2003 12:06 pm
A satisfying solution, Phoenix, but aside from a sentence resulting from a specific crime, this sounds a little like preventative justice. Hasn't it been determined that people abused as children are likely to be abusers as adults? How far do we want to go with this idea?
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Sun 18 May, 2003 12:20 pm
Does he have any brothers or sisters?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 18 May, 2003 01:41 pm
This 14-year-old child--bratty child--should not be tried as an adult! Phoenix, I agree with you that someone should order a thorough mental evaluation.

He was not only spectacularly cruel to animals while taking no thought of his neighbors' feelings, he was appropriating property that did not belong to him.

His actions were out-of-bounds in many ways.

Reading between the lines of the news story, I sense a possibility that he wanted to impress--or make an impression on--his 16 year old female neighbor. He certainly did this. His courting techniques do not bode well for happy relationships in the future.

Cruelty to animals, starting fires and bed wetting are three major symptoms of a disturbed child. At fourteen there is certainly a possiblity of reform.

The times are very out of joint.
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Sun 18 May, 2003 01:53 pm
IMO, the kid was merely stupid. Well, this does not mean that he is not to be punished, stupidity has its price as well.
0 Replies