'Smelly' man kicked off flight

Reyn

Reply Fri 16 Jun, 2006 03:45 pm
'Smelly' man kicked off flight

A German man is suing an airline after being kicked off a flight for being too smelly.

Werner Brechtfeld, 46, who had spent the day sightseeing in the hot Hawaiian sunshine, was asked to leave the plane in Honolulu when the person sitting next to him complained.

The passenger told flight attendants that Mr Brechtfeld "stinks to high heaven".

A spokesman at the Duesseldorf court where Brechtfeld is suing for damages, said: "He was asked to change t-shirts but his bags had already been checked in.

"So the air hostesses said he would have to get off the flight as he was disturbing other passengers. He had to wait four hours for the next flight and missed his connection to Germany."

Brechtfeld is asking for £1,500 in compensation for missing his flight back home to Dusseldorf, via LA.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,456 • Replies: 44
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 16 Jun, 2006 03:47 pm
I can't believe they did that to him . . . are ya ready?

That really stinks ! ! !
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 16 Jun, 2006 03:55 pm
So, if he can sue, how about the folks that had to sit next to this fellow? Free tickets for next flight?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 16 Jun, 2006 04:02 pm
Re: 'Smelly' man kicked off flight
Reyn wrote:
The passenger told flight attendants that Mr Brechtfeld "stinks to high heaven".

That sounds quite nice, but actually Werner B. himself said such - about the fact that his neighbour - a female - complained about him and he thus missed his connecting flight in LA :wink:

In first instance, his filing of a complaint had failed: it's now going to the highest regional court (from there the other quotes).
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 16 Jun, 2006 04:13 pm
The pore man.

That's the pits.

Heaven nose, good hygiene is appreciated on airplanes.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 16 Jun, 2006 04:14 pm
Something sure smells fishy about this guy.

Good for the airline. People who stink like gorilla farts shouldn't be allowed in public.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 16 Jun, 2006 07:42 pm
I think we found Gus..
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 16 Jun, 2006 08:11 pm
I had no idea that Gus was German! Shocked
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 16 Jun, 2006 08:45 pm
Reyn wrote:

He's called Ratzenhofer, hello...
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 16 Jun, 2006 08:45 pm
I thought that was Spanish..........
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 16 Jun, 2006 09:17 pm
nimh wrote:
Reyn wrote:

He's called Ratzenhofer, hello...

Could have been Austrian.

I wonder if he yodels? I could just imagine him as this:

http://www.luma-electronic.cz/lp/j/Grandpa/grandpa_yodeling.jpg
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 16 Jun, 2006 09:17 pm
Laughing
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 16 Jun, 2006 09:53 pm
Sure looks like a stinker to me....
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Sat 17 Jun, 2006 12:30 am
I had to fly to Hawaii sitting behind a guy who was regularly releasing clouds of suffocating noxious vapors. (He also had greasy hair just absolutely loaded with dandruff-- that's just an aside, I know he couldn't really be expected to stay off the plane just because he was suffering from the heartbreak of psoriasis or whatever, but it still added to the overall grossness.) I was wondering if you have any recourse in that kind of situation. I couldn't quite imagine calling one of the attendants over and telling her someone was making me sick with their farting...
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 17 Jun, 2006 06:42 am
that does seem a bit petty huh?

Just because he smelled like body odor?
Rolling Eyes

what do people think we smell like underneath all these toxic chemicals we slather all over ourselves?
Most people would rather put on mercury filled deodorant and run the risk of having problems in their brain stem , then smell like a human?

<oy>
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sat 17 Jun, 2006 07:28 am
You know, this is the type of PC crap slappy was talking about.

So, we're supposed to cater to some guy to stinks to high heaven?

I suppose I need to don my "Obviousman" costume here....

1. you mean to tell me the airline didn't have some miscellaneous T shirts on board for when someone stunk, vomited on themselves, puked, etc?

2. no one on the plane was willing to say...."here I got an extra T shirt in my carry on, be my guest.

3. no one who worked at the airline could make an oj dash through the terminal to the nearest shop that sold T shirts, saying "I'm taking an extra large, put it on Delta's bill, we'll settle up later.

4. the man could not have been handed this T shirt obtained through the above methods, and told "if you want to fly on this plane, go to the men's room, wash your pits, and put on this shirt....you are making other passengers sick."

I guess then the stinkos only recourse would be to sue because "I felt 'less than' when they told me I stunk and was making other people vomit. they were mean to me"
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 17 Jun, 2006 07:43 am
Re: 'Smelly' man kicked off flight
Reyn wrote:
A German man [..] was asked to leave the plane in Honolulu when the person sitting next to him complained. The passenger told flight attendants that Mr Brechtfeld "stinks to high heaven". [..]

"So the air hostesses said he would have to get off the flight as he was disturbing other passengers. [..]"

I'm with Shewolf here. I think its the fellow passenger and air hostess who were guilty of PC crap. Like, oh my god, there's someone on the plane who smells! What next?? Please, sanitize the place so everything is correct and in order again!

Agree with all the Obviousman suggestions tho. Its no fun sitting besides a smelly person, so something coulda been done - but any of those things would have worked. Dont see why they couldnt all just have been pragmatic about it. I mean - one party just slapping rules around on anyone who doesnt exhibit the correct behaviour and the other party suing in retaliation - jesus. Formalisation of life's little troubles gone overboard.

Less rules, more creativity!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 17 Jun, 2006 08:06 am
I'm of the opinion they ought to have come up with a shirt for him, deoderant, and had him clean up as best he could in the restroom, as has been suggested already. That failing, send him to the baggage department.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sat 17 Jun, 2006 08:43 am
you and me edgar, you and me....

nimh, yeah, I see the passengers & crew behaving pc in that they WOULDN'T tell the guy to clean up.

I'm very sensitive to smells....I'm very upfront here, if I was forced to sit next to this guy, I literally would have thrown up.

I don't know if it's because I'm an American or not, but I really really do get sick when I get a whiff of an unwashed body.

So....where's my rights?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 17 Jun, 2006 08:52 am
Chai Tea wrote:

So....where's my rights?

Hmm, it was a German plane and we don't have the "right of sitting besides a washed person in a plane" in our constitution :wink:

Actually, in the original report (which was in a regional tabloid, the 'Express'), quoted five spokespersons from different (German) airlines, who all said that usually other measures [as suggested above] are taken ... showing the way to the washroom, soap, ...
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » 'Smelly' man kicked off flight
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/01/2024 at 07:30:49