'Smelly' man kicked off flight

boomerang

Reply Sat 17 Jun, 2006 08:57 am
Does this mean I can sue those perfume jerks who start spraying it on the minute the pilot announces that the plane is making it's landing approach?
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 17 Jun, 2006 09:02 am
The thing is, being on an airplane is not like being in a movie theatre, for example.

If I'm watching a movie and someone besides me starts yakking on a cell phone, I wouldn't think twice about moving to another seat somewhere else. Most likely you wouldn't be able to do that on a plane if the smelly passenger was that bad.

I do feel that it's up to airline staff to sort out these problems so everybody's time on the flight is as comfortable as possible.

As I said before, if I was sitting next to this guy, I would demand a refund of some kind on my ticket. It's bloody well expensive enough to fly without having to put up with garbage like that.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 17 Jun, 2006 09:04 am
boomerang wrote:
Does this mean I can sue those perfume jerks who start spraying it on the minute the pilot announces that the plane is making it's landing approach?

The thing is, some folks are highly allergic to perfume, and such.

When people are in such close proximity to each other, flights should be "fragrance free".
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 17 Jun, 2006 09:08 am
I would completely welcome fragrance free flying.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 17 Jun, 2006 09:13 am
boomerang wrote:
I would completely welcome fragrance free flying.

I#d join you - I said recently besides a couple ... well, every breath of mine got air worth some dollars, but actually I'd thought, they just stank ... expensive.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 17 Jun, 2006 09:44 am
Don't get me wrong.

If I had to sit next to the man, I would have been pissed as well.

I just don't see how it was ok for him to be kicked off the plane. THAT is what I see as petty when there are other options that could have been put into place. Considering that he just stunk, and wasnt a real danger, I find it strange that his only option was to leave...

People wear cologne sometimes 1/2 the bottle at a time, and THEY are not asked to leave.

With other options out there.. deodorant, tshirts, someone mentioned a bathroom trip to wash the pits... why was he asked to leave?

He paid , just like everyone else, to ride that plane.
IMO he shouldn't have been asked to leave, instead given things to DO before the flight took off.

But, then again.. he should have had forethought enough, and had a little more consideration to other passengers by taking steps even if he was late to the flight, to do something about his body odor.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sat 17 Jun, 2006 10:49 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Chai Tea wrote:

So....where's my rights?

Hmm, it was a German plane and we don't have the "right of sitting besides a washed person in a plane" in our constitution :wink:

Actually, in the original report (which was in a regional tabloid, the 'Express'), quoted five spokespersons from different (German) airlines, who all said that usually other measures [as suggested above] are taken ... showing the way to the washroom, soap, ...

I wasn't talking about my rights as an American or German, I was talking about my rights as a human being.

None of us knows the exact chain of events here....so it's all supposition.

Personally....I figure if this guy as the balls to get on a plane smelling bad enough to offend me, I have the balls to tell him to his face that his body body is making me nauseous, and to please wash up, change shirt, etc. I would have no problem with that.....I'd deal with the problem one on one.

If he refused, and I eventually did vomit, I would make sure that the bulk of it landed in his lap.

Last week, shortly after I put on my perfume (I try to put it on early so the scent will mellow by the time I'm with people, put it on too late this time), and was standing next to someone, showing them a spreadsheet.

Out of the corner of my eye, I noticed this person, turn their head a little. I asked them "Is my perfume bothering you?"

They said, "well it's a little strong"

I went to the ladies room, washed my wrists, ran a damp paper towel over my neck and that was the end of that.

I appreciated them saying something, as I wouldn't want someone to be offended by my scent, good or bad.

I guess it's all about common courtesy.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 17 Jun, 2006 11:08 am
"...I would completely welcome fragrance free flying..."

i certainly would agree with that , but is it really be possible to be 'fragrance free " ?
i think most people give off some kind of a "fragrance" - and what may smell like a rose to one person may smell like skunk to someone else .
we may all agree that a fragrance should not be "offensive" - but who is going to set the standard ?
imo once one has decided to sit in some kind of enclosed compartment , one has to be willing to accept certain discomforts that often go along with it , or one should stay at home.
hbg

btw our family physician has several large signs posted in his office :
"dirty diapers MUST be removed from the office ; they must not be deposited in the waste receptacles !"
as we've found out , he has a very 'sensitive' nose .
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 17 Jun, 2006 11:11 am
Chai Tea wrote:

The lady sitting besides him complained about his body odour - the stewardess(es) asked him to change his T-shirt - he couldn't, because it was already in the plane - he had to leave the plane.

The best reaction came by the spokesperson of Lufthansa: "We had made the onflight selling of parfums a bit earlier." Laughing
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 17 Jun, 2006 11:15 am
Yeah, but you jokers only bathe like once a year, right? Just before the Michealmas slaughter?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 17 Jun, 2006 11:19 am
The other time we get water, we must use it for doing the washings.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 17 Jun, 2006 11:21 am
It all sounds perfectly sensible to me . . . please stay on your own side of the pond, thank you.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 17 Jun, 2006 12:00 pm
Chai Tea wrote:
I went to the ladies room, washed my wrists, ran a damp paper towel over my neck and that was the end of that.

I appreciated them saying something, as I wouldn't want someone to be offended by my scent, good or bad.

I guess it's all about common courtesy.

If I ever get on a plane, I want someone just like you sitting next to me. Very Happy
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sat 17 Jun, 2006 02:23 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Chai Tea wrote:

The lady sitting besides him complained about his body odour - the stewardess(es) asked him to change his T-shirt - he couldn't, because it was already in the plane - he had to leave the plane.

The best reaction came by the spokesperson of Lufthansa: "We had made the onflight selling of parfums a bit earlier." Laughing

Yes, but did the woman first make herself accountable for her own needs and ask the man himself? Or, was she a pussy and want someone else to take care of it for her?

Again, like Edgar, I'm confounded by all the fuss....here's some soap, here's a spare t-shirt, end of deal.

Perfume does not get rid of body order, it covers it up, and IMO, makes it worse.

Nothing like the stink of someones crotch or pits covered up with Chanel.

Oh, and hamburgers comment about sensitive noises regarding dirty diapers...(this isn't directed at you at all hamburger, but the people at the doctors office)

What FILTHY MORON would put a dirty diaper into a trash receptacle in an enclosed area?!

That is just plain disgusting.

I guess I'm well, not exactly alone, but in the minority about being near stinky people.

Good Lord, on the occassions where I've gotten sweaty and delveloped some odor, I could stand to be near myself, and couldn't wait to have the opportunity to remedy that.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 17 Jun, 2006 02:57 pm
Chai Tea wrote:

Yes, but did the woman first make herself accountable for her own needs and ask the man himself? Or, was she a pussy and want someone else to take care of it for her?

Bingo!

ding ding ding ding!

we have a wiener.

THAT is why I call this 'petty'

Most people ( as you said yourself) would GLADLY do something to improve their presence when they are in a small place like an airplane if asked by their seat mates.

I'm stumped as to why the airlines had to be involved and why the only outcome was ' get that bugger off of here'
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sat 17 Jun, 2006 04:48 pm
I'm a weiner!!!!

http://www.samuraiburger.com/jumbodog.jpg
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Sun 18 Jun, 2006 01:08 pm
Will no one tell me what the solution to the farting man situation was?! <sob>

You couldn't just get him a fresh t-shirt...Could I have reasonably asked him to go to take a goddam dump already, before he killed someone with the fumes? What?

What would Chai have done? (WWCD?)
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 18 Jun, 2006 01:25 pm
I would have had to ask him to stop farting, no matter what he had to do to stifle it. Then, if he continued, make a stink with the ones running the plane. If you're already in the air, it will be hard to do a great deal. What about Beano? Could the planes use that?
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sun 18 Jun, 2006 01:59 pm
WWCD?

I would have whooped his ass like Chuck Norris would've with some of my Jesus Kung Fu Karate!!!!

http://www.ftwinc.com/jb/images/jckarate.jpg
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Sun 18 Jun, 2006 02:08 pm
Onece I was on a flight to Japan and my girlfriend needed to use the lavatory -- badly. But there was a lot of turbulence and she could was not allowed out of her seat. By the time the turbulence ended it was too late. It smelled like a latrine next to me. Fortunately she had a carry on bad and was able to chnage clothes but the seat still stunk. She probably delayed a half dozen flights as they had to replace her seat.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 10/01/2024 at 09:39:29