Can't...take...this...crap....

Gala

Reply Fri 16 Jun, 2006 06:04 pm
I recall as a youngster my parents bringing home some live Lobsters. They boiled the water and I watched them throw them in. My brother started bawling. I, on the other hand, made no connection they were meeting a horrible end.

Because I no longer live in New England, where Lobster is religion, I haven't had a Lobster in years, so I don't care about this decision, silly as it is. Then again, Whole Foods is a silly place. The gist of it is-- If I'm not having Lobster than I don't care if others are deprived. Lobster is one of the better foods in life.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 16 Jun, 2006 06:08 pm
Reyn, we like riffing off your stories. And the more the merrier re keeping interesting bits up here for us to see.

I am mixed on lobsters.

- I have lobster bisque soup once in a while.

- had one fine dish at the end of an session of italian classes, where the teacher made the pasta and one student made the lobster/butter/garlic sauce, and I thought that was good..

- remember Annie Hall lobster scene, that was a classic...

- am generally ok with eating animals and seafood unless it's endangered and so on, and prefer the raising and the dying to be done humanely, rather like (I think it was) Peter Singer described in some article a few years ago, but still, I'll eat a green chile burger at Owl's, you wanna go with?

I am I'll admit a tad confused about the 'not making the animals suffer' thing when you go home and dump them in boiling water, but I gather that is a speedy dispatch, given the water is at a roiling boil.

I will eat fresh lobster and crab again, happily, especially if someone else picks up the bill, but then I don't run across them too often, even when I lived in a northwest seaport. There were crab stands during the season where they would chuck one out of a briney bath and toss it in a pot of boiling water for ya. Good, but we only did that twice in the six years I lived there.

I dunno, if my market had those living in a season long visible prep-to-die tank I might work up some fervor - if I knew about their suffering on the way to that tank, which I think was the point, not the boiling business.

Let's say I'm undecided re Whole Foods' decision.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 16 Jun, 2006 06:28 pm
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:
Hey Reyn, I'm just kidding!

Oh, no offense taken, and I figured you were giving me the elbow, but just in case there were a few out there that took it seriously, I thought it was best to put my thoughts in a post so no wrong impressions were had.

Chai Tea wrote:
Shocked

OH Crap!!!

Reyn's here.......everybody, look busy.....

Laughing I busted a gut on your post. Thanks for the the good vibes!

ossobuco wrote:
Reyn, we like riffing off your stories. And the more the merrier re keeping interesting bits up here for us to see.

And thank you for the vote of confidence. I like to lighten things up around here. Very Happy
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Fri 16 Jun, 2006 08:24 pm
Well, you do a fine job of it! Keep 'em coming!

Lobsters? Absolutely. Love 'em. Would I drop them into boiling water myself? Not only would I, but I have volunteered to do it when other cooks were squeamish. Sometimes I even gave them names first, just to watch people squirm. "Oh, look! Here goes Ricky!" <splash>

Humane conditions?! Gimmeabreak. They're not humane...they're ocean bugs, that's all.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 16 Jun, 2006 08:35 pm
Thanks, Eva. Very Happy

I'm more of a shrimp, scallops, and crab man myself. Never been overly fond of lobster.

Anybody had Alaskan King crab?
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 16 Jun, 2006 08:50 pm
Hmmm...

I didnt know you threw them in boiling water..

doesnt that make the meat tougher?

I thought you were supposed to put them in a pot of cool water, close it, and let it heat up on its own so that they dont clench so tight? And they just fall asleep when it gets too hot, and die quietly... like a good meal should.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 16 Jun, 2006 08:57 pm
Heck with boiling them. I like to bite into them when they're still squirming.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 16 Jun, 2006 09:03 pm
The real problem here is we have too much food available to us. Our methods of production and chains of supply are so effective that they outstrip our immediate needs, this is one of the reasons we are having so many environmental problems.

Even an animal activist would eat a lobster if he/she was hungry enough.

Most humane way to kill/cook crustaceans is freeze them for 1/2 hour first, then dump into boiling water.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 16 Jun, 2006 09:16 pm
dadpad wrote:

Most humane way to kill/cook crustaceans is freeze them for 1/2 hour first, then dump into boiling water.

What does that do? Bring about hibernation?
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 16 Jun, 2006 09:21 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
Heck with boiling them. I like to bite into them when they're still squirming.

Eeeewww! I don't suppose you're one of those fellas that likes to eat clam raw right out of the shell, eh?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 16 Jun, 2006 09:22 pm
Aw, I was kidding. The only way I like lobster is if they are road kill first.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 16 Jun, 2006 09:23 pm
haha, Driving on the beach again, are we?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 16 Jun, 2006 09:29 pm
My little Sunbeam can run over any lobster.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 16 Jun, 2006 09:39 pm
shewolfnm wrote:
dadpad wrote:

What does that do? Bring about hibernation?

Apparently some kind of cold induced coma slows down the metabolism and brain function.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sat 17 Jun, 2006 11:01 am
shewolfnm wrote:
And they just fall asleep when it gets too hot, and die quietly...

Oh...you're such a kind person......do you sing them a little lullaby too?

Lullaby.....and good night...
deedle deedle dee dee dee....

maybe rock the lobster pot gentle back and forth?
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 17 Jun, 2006 11:05 am
put me up in a condo all my life.. feed me.. let me lay around and mate... then at the end... eat me... hell it sounds damn near ideal... where do I sign up?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 17 Jun, 2006 12:52 pm
Another good reason to boycott Whole Paycheque. Hate that f$*^&$^ company.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sat 17 Jun, 2006 01:34 pm
They're so moralistic, however they're employees probably make up for 35% of all marijuana sales in the state. If they drug tested they'd lose every single cashier. Them and Trader Joe's. Hippies. I like TJ's though.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sat 17 Jun, 2006 01:54 pm
Slappy, I was driving when I heard the story on Air America. Of course the announcer was shouting his digust at the false pc'ness of it all.

Lobster right out of the pot is manna from heaven. I can be the maven of guilt over some things, but not oceanic scorpions. Yummmmm...

Has anyone noticed that the women on the thread have taken by far the most glee in describing the killing process? I'm not on a2k enough to be really familiar with everyone, but I now know that I love Linkcat, always loved shewolfnm, always loved Boomer, and I'd give anything for osso to come over and fix insanely delicious Italian side dishes while I toss the crustacean head first into the pot. As for linkcat's letting her cats play with the lobsters, our dog Sally would be very tentative before she started tossing it up in the air and bring it to us, dropping it in our laps, begging us to throw it for her. The smell of lobster would permeate the air for the next couple of days.

How about steamed clams? That's another yummy little sucker I wouldn't mind killing.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Sat 17 Jun, 2006 01:58 pm
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:
They're so moralistic, however they're employees probably make up for 35% of all marijuana sales in the state. If they drug tested they'd lose every single cashier. Them and Trader Joe's. Hippies. I like TJ's though.

Hypocrite moralistic. Whole Foods boasts organic produce but they rarely buy it from local farmers. Most of it is shipped from California, or Chile. That blows the notion they're saving the planet-- all the plane feul to ship it.
0 Replies