Can't...take...this...crap....

Reply Fri 16 Jun, 2006 01:14 pm
I know Reyn is the official copier/paster in the HIS forum, so I hope I'm note stepping on any toes...

But seriously. Where the HELL is the line going to be drawn? Lobster condos??? "Respect and compassion?" THEY'RE F'N LOBSTERS!!! Self-righteous douchebags. Wonder why they still sell any meat products at all?

AUSTIN, Texas --Customers craving fresh crustaceans will have to look beyond Whole Foods Market Inc. after the natural-foods grocery chain decided Thursday to stop selling live lobsters and crabs on the grounds that it's inhumane.

The Austin-based grocer, which has stores in Massachusetts, Rhode Island and Connecticut, spent seven months studying the sale of live lobsters from ship to supermarket aisle, trying to determine whether the creatures suffer along the way.

In some stores, they experimented with "lobster condos," filling tanks with stacks of large pipes the critters can crawl inside. And they moved the tanks behind seafood counters and away from children's tapping fingers.

Ultimately, Whole Foods management decided to immediately stop selling live lobsters and soft-shell crabs, saying they could not ensure the creatures are treated with respect and compassion.

"We place as much emphasis on the importance of humane treatment and quality of life for all animals as we do on the expectations for quality and flavor," John Mackey, Whole Foods' co-founder and chief executive, said in a statement.

Animal rights activities were thrilled with the decision, not just because of the way lobsters are harvested, shipped and stored but because of the fate that awaits many of them -- being dropped alive into a pot of boiling water.

"The ways that lobsters are treated would warrant felony cruelty to animals charges if they were dogs or cats," said Bruce Friedrich, a spokesman for People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals.

In making its decision, Whole Foods pointed to a November report from the European Food Safety Authority Animal Health and Welfare panel that it said concluded all decapod crustaceans, including lobsters and crabs, appear to have some degree of awareness, feel pain and can learn.

But other scientists and seafood industry officials said Thursday that lobsters have such primitive insect-like nervous systems they don't even have brains and can't experience pain the way animals and humans do.

For example, lobsters can shed a claw that's stuck between two rocks and move on like nothing happened, said Diane Cowan, a marine biologist who studies lobster behavior in Maine.

"They certainly have a nervous system and respond to external stimuli, but whether you can call it pain I don't know," Cowan said.

About 183 million pounds of lobster are caught each year in the United States and Canada, and about 25 percent of that is sold live, according to the Lobster Institute at the University of Maine.

"People who want lobster will have lobster," said Bill Adler, executive director of the Massachusetts Lobstermen's Association. "If this particular chain does not want to serve it, people will go elsewhere."

From now on, Whole Foods will only sell frozen raw and cooked lobster products at its more than 180 stores in the United States, Canada and the United Kingdom, said Margaret Wittenberg, vice president of quality standards. And the chain will only deal with suppliers meeting their standards for humane treatment, handling and processing.

Whole Foods has 17 stores in Massachusetts, and two each in Rhode Island and Connecticut, according to its Web site.

Whole Foods leaders will reconsider the decision if they see evidence that it's possible to ensure lobsters and crabs are treated humanely throughout the supply chain, she said

http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2006/06/15/whole_foods_market_bans_sale_of_live_lobsters/?p1=MEWell_Pos1
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,239 • Replies: 77
No top replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 16 Jun, 2006 01:14 pm
This may be the "P.C." statement that is the most ridiculous I've seen.

What's your favorite to hate?
0 Replies

onyxelle

Reply Fri 16 Jun, 2006 01:23 pm
oh wow. i never really considered that lobsters were anything BUT food. I don't even like them, but wow...

is there ANY humane way to kill something you plan on eating? Is this a big issue in the food service world or is this something they've decided all on their lonesome?
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 16 Jun, 2006 01:31 pm
I don't eat lobsters because they're big cockroaches.

oh...and they are forbidden in Leviticus Rolling Eyes

However, I remember watching Julia Child throw a couple of live lobsters in a pot of boiling water........from the racket they made bashing around for a while, I'd say they felt a little pain.

Made me retch.

Then, I remember hearing that a humane way to kill a lobster was to put a needle or knitting needle or some damn thing between their eyes and shove it in.

Why the hell do people eat these things anyway when you've apparantly got to kill them like a minute before?

LET THE LOBSTERS GO FREE!

LET THE LOBSTERS FO FREE!

Montana doesn't need the income from them anymore.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 16 Jun, 2006 02:01 pm
No wonder the prices are so high are Whole Foods - experimenting with lobster condos. I plan on sitting outside my local Whole foods with a steaming hot plate of steamed lobster, a bib and some melted butter.

Hey look at the bright side - if so many people start feeling bad for the lobsters, demand will decrease and prices will fall. I will then buy lots and lots of these tasty treats and chow down!

Chai - if the water is really boiling and you put them in head first - they do not move around. The intense heat pretty much kills them on contact. Believe me we have cooked our share of lobsters. However, don't make the mistake of not boiling the water completely first. Our first lobsters as a child - my poor mom did not know this - she put the poor thing in tail first and yes you can imagine the thing of course tried to escape. We were all screaming and crap - couldn't eat it after that. Didn't have another one until I was 18.

Probably they humane way you are talking about is how to prepare baked stuffed lobster - you actually are supposed to stab the thing in the heart - not between the eyes - had a friend that worked at a lobster restaurant one summer where she spent the time stabbing lobsters for baked stuffed lobster.

Why do you eat them? They are soooooo good.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 16 Jun, 2006 02:15 pm
bleech.

I've tasted them in the past....no thanks....

I do like the taste of crab, but I won't eat one of those spiders either.

I'll get the artifical kind made of pollack....excellent source of protein.

In fact that's what I had for lunch, fake crab and apple salad.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 16 Jun, 2006 02:25 pm
Goody - all the more for me!

Funny thing is - you figure little kids care about hurting animals well - lobster and crab taste so good to my little girl she could care less. We were talking about having crab and I said to her - so you want to kill and eat Sebastian - and she says "Yeah - yummy!" She will look at the lobsters in the tank at the supermarket and she can only think about how yummy they are! Smart little girl!
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 16 Jun, 2006 02:43 pm
That's what I wondered when I read the article... aren't they thrown alive into boiling water?!?!??!?

And I could dip just about anything into melted butter and have it taste good...

Mmmmmm.... drywall....
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 16 Jun, 2006 02:43 pm
Linkat wrote:
Goody - all the more for me!

Funny thing is - you figure little kids care about hurting animals well - lobster and crab taste so good to my little girl she could care less. We were talking about having crab and I said to her - so you want to kill and eat Sebastian - and she says "Yeah - yummy!" She will look at the lobsters in the tank at the supermarket and she can only think about how yummy they are! Smart little girl!

You are a sick woman.

No wonder we all like you....
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 16 Jun, 2006 02:58 pm
[/QUOTE]You are a sick woman.
Quote:

Thank you - thank you!

I like to torture small crustaceans and then gobble them up! When we get them I will put them on the kitchen floor and allow the cats to play with them before we toss them in the boiling water. Next time I think I will take the elastic off their claws to make it a fair fight.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 16 Jun, 2006 03:09 pm
We always remove the rubber bands from their claws. I dont like the taste of rubber bands.

I have a renewable sport lobster license in Maine, youre only allowed 2 pots and must check them daily . and your allowed a seasonal limit and they sell you a doohicky that measures the legal size limit. BUT, boy are they good.
Chai, theyre really not a spider, theyre a chelicerae , which is more like a scorpion. Now who can resist a tender scorpion, steamed with drawn butter? MMMMMM MM
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 16 Jun, 2006 03:15 pm
Remember that classic scene in Annie Hall?

"Annie, there's a big lobster behind the refridgerator"
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 16 Jun, 2006 03:27 pm
farmerman wrote:
We always remove the rubber bands from their claws. I dont like the taste of rubber bands.

I have a renewable sport lobster license in Maine, youre only allowed 2 pots and must check them daily . and your allowed a seasonal limit and they sell you a doohicky that measures the legal size limit. BUT, boy are they good.
Chai, theyre really not a spider, theyre a chelicerae , which is more like a scorpion. Now who can resist a tender scorpion, steamed with drawn butter? MMMMMM MM

I try to adhere to Leviticus in this instance.

No actually, I grew up at a marina.

We used to catch crabs in the evening and boil them up. I remember bringing up a crab that had that egg pouch on it, and since then, no way.

With lobsters, I was never impressed with the taste. The first time I heard of people eating that green gunk in it, jesus, that's just plain gross.

Both lobsters and crabs are scavengers....I wouldn't eat a sea gull either.

I had a seagull **** on me once when I was getting out of the car, both arms and one leg extended out....it got me from one end to the other.....

I became immediately insane.

I hate seagulls.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 16 Jun, 2006 04:04 pm
I'm not crazy about lobster either. I'll eat it, if it's mixed in with something, or if it's ready to eat, but I don't like it so much that I'd order it, nevermind pay the $$ it costs and go through ripping it apart.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 16 Jun, 2006 04:17 pm
You mean you have to shell out a lot of dough?
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 16 Jun, 2006 04:23 pm
Ba-dum-dum-dump.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 16 Jun, 2006 05:38 pm
Re: Can't...take...this...crap....
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:
I know Reyn is the official copier/paster in the HIS forum, so I hope I'm note stepping on any toes...

I realize that I'm the one that posts in this forum the most, but that's only because I enjoy these stories and like to share them. Some other regulars seem to enjoy them, too.

I hope no one considers this to be my forum, as I'm always pleased to see someone other than me posting here.

I just don't want to see the Human Interest forum eliminated / amalgamated when the new website becomes available, due to lack of use.

As far as copying and pasting, I realize it's a bit of a dirty phrase around here, but the nature of these stories is such that links are really only good for a few days and then they're useless.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 16 Jun, 2006 05:58 pm
Oh man. If it has legs and a shell I'm eatin'.

There's this place in N'awlins (or used to be) that served soft shell crab lightly breaded, pan fried in bacon grease, with a little sprinkle of green onion and Tabasco. "Petunias" the place was called. Served okra on the side.

Never mind the menu price, the $600 plane ticket was worth it.

And "Sartain" in Sabine Pass, Texas - with those bbq crab claws and the Romeo and Juiliet wait team. Bring me a frikken hammer already.

And "Benno's" in Galveston with that crawfish ettoufee that could seriously cause you to slit the throat of anyone ahead of you in line?

Jesuschristonabike. Don't even get me started on shrimp.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 16 Jun, 2006 06:01 pm
Hey Reyn, I'm just kidding!
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 16 Jun, 2006 06:03 pm
Shocked

OH Crap!!!

Reyn's here.......everybody, look busy.....

Reyn, we love you just the way you are....

When I see some story from you, most of the time I just HAVE to look at it.

You have no ideas how many times your topics have been a conversation starter...

(during an uncomfortable lag in conversation)

"Did you know, that a man was recently beaten about the head by a dead Chihuahua dog?
You didn't? Well, I guess SOME of us like to keep up with things in this world."
0 Replies