Pres. Bush finally does something right!

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 06:31 am
I have been waiting for years to post something good about Pres. Bush, finally I have found something. I do find it sad that he only learned about this environment because he watched a TV show and I'm waiting for him to announce that Dick Cheney will have exclusive fishing rights, but at least its a start...

Bush protects massive ocean habitat

San Jose, California
June 15, 2006 - 3:04PM

US President George W Bush is establishing what is being billed as the largest protected ocean area in the world - a biologically rich chain of coral reefs and islands from north of Hawaii to Midway Atoll.

The area, known now as North-Western Hawaiian Islands Coral Reef Ecosystem Reserve, is more than 2,253 km long and encompasses roughly 358,400 sq km - slightly bigger than Australia's Great Barrier Reef Marine Park's 348,000 sq km.

It is also larger than all of America's national parks combined.

The new reserve is an aquatic Eden of tropical fish, sea turtles, monk seals and more than 7,000 other marine species.

All commercial fishing will be phased out in the region over the next five years, White House officials said.

Marine biologists and environmental groups, many of whom have clashed bitterly with Bush over his support for new oil drilling and myriad other areas where they say he has weakened environmental protections, offered him rare praise today.

"The president is creating the world's largest marine protected area. It's as important as the establishment of Yellowstone," said Fred Krupp, president of Environmental Defence, an environmental group based in New York City.

"This is the best thing the Bush administration has done over the last six years for the oceans and for the environment," added Ellen Athas, director of ecosystems protection for the Ocean Conservancy and a former Clinton administration official.

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration already had been holding public hearings to consider a national marine sanctuary in the area, an uninhabited chain of tiny islands and coral outcroppings in United States territorial waters.

Bush's interest in the area was heightened after seeing a TV documentary show this year.

Bush and his wife Laura watched Voyage to Kure, the first episode of Jean-Michel Cousteau: Ocean Adventures.

Cousteau is the son of famed ocean explorer Jacques Cousteau and was at the White House that day.

Kure is an island in the northern Hawaiian chain.

Source
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 993 • Replies: 4
No top replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 07:19 am
I wonder if there is oil underneath it...
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 07:34 am
Well done Bushie.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 07:39 am
Shake hands with the Devil. One can hold a candle to the Devil, if the result is good, and the means are not harmful to the most of people.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 08:10 am
Good job, Georgie. There's hope for you yet.
0 Replies