Extra $ If You Have Kids?

Pitter

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 08:33 pm
I wonder if this has a parallel in the European or US labor systems. In Colombia an employer must pay an employee who has kids a "subsidy" that another employee with out kids but doing the same job isn't entitled to. Paternity leave comes to mind since some derive additional compensation that others doing the same job do not.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,128 • Replies: 4
No top replies

roger

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 10:02 pm
Re: Extra $ If You Have Kids?
Not in the U.S. Change the word "must" to "may", and the answer changes to sometimes. Each child is worth another tax exemption, which lowers taxes, somewhat. There is an Earned Income Credit, but that's a government subsidy, and dependent on income. I haven't boned up on family medical leave, so no comment on that.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 07:02 am
People get tax breaks for being parents (e. g. child care credits), because the cost of raising children is something that the government acknowledges. However, employers do not and cannot pay a parent more than a nonparent, at least not in the US, as that would be considered discriminatory.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 07:24 am
A 'semi' benefit that is being handed out here in the US more often now is maternity leave for fathers.

I am sure that benefits package is different with different companies, but basically it ensures that the father can take time off of his job as well as the mother , and he wont lose his position.

I have heard of some companies offering small bonus' on top of that.. but not too often.

University of Texas where my husband works, gave him extra vacation time to cover the wait for the FMLA to kick in so he wouldn't lose his pay.
That may have been more of the discression of his BOSS then the company. But all the same, it was an added bonus none the less.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 07:27 am
At least in Germany it's the same with civil servants, employees to public agencies, institutions and similar (like charities, unions, hospitals etc).

And many tariffs of various other professions have included such as well.
0 Replies