BUNGLED RAID IN LONDON

Setanta

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2006 04:54 pm
This article from The Houston Chronicle tells the basic story of the June 2nd raid in London.

Quote:

Amid growing criticism, the police made the unusual move of apologizing for "the hurt we've caused" when the two brothers were released without charges, after being held for a week--as one can read in this article from The New York Times.

This article from The Sunday Herald is an editorial piece on how "the Met [i.e., the Metropolitan Police] got it wrong."

Does the fear of terrorism justify any means? Do the police go too far? Is this sort of operation a justifiable price to pay for security?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 832 • Replies: 12
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2006 07:00 pm
I've been saying, ever since the outset of the first gulf war, that a huge block of the world's people have an extremely deep-seated need to kick Arab ass, and any Arab will do in a pinch.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2006 07:39 pm
or in this case, non-arab (bengali) muslims
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2006 07:47 pm
Thay get lumped together anyhow.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 01:35 am
It is sad.

As an asian in UK - I don't feel safe anymore - even arnd the police.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 08:00 am
I think you're right, EB, there is a lot of hatred, and those who hate don't particularly care whom they hate. I long lived in or near Columbus, Ohio, which has the largest Somali community in the United States. After September 11th, there were many incidents of hatred expressed toward the Somalis, who, of course, had nothing to do with the terrorists, and no connection to al Qaeda. Many people in Africa and the middle east send money home by means of an informal network which has been around for centuries. They will go to a shop and give cash to the shop keeper, who then telephones a relative at home, and that relative gives the equivalent of the sum of money in the local currency to the family of the person who first took the cash to the shop. They've been doing this forever, but immediately after September 11th, one of the Somali men in Columbus who had been doing this for years was arrested on a charge of laundering money for terrorists. It took him more than two years to clear his name, and it cost him thousands of dollars. The fact that he is Muslim, and that he sends money to Somalia was enough for the Feds to crawl all over him.

Prince, i completely understand your attitude. You have my genuine sympathy. Given that you once used Gautam as your screen name, am i correct in assuming that you are, nominally at least, Hindu and not Muslim?
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 08:22 am
Setanta wrote:
Prince, i completely understand your attitude. You have my genuine sympathy. Given that you once used Gautam as your screen name, am i correct in assuming that you are, nominally at least, Hindu and not Muslim?

Yes. But you can't tell by looking at me Smile

As far as an average brit is concerned, I am just another brown asian !!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 08:23 am
And that's precisely the problem, innit?
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 08:30 am
Setanta wrote:
And that's precisely the problem, innit?

Precisely mate !!

Do you think I should move to Canada?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 08:59 am
There has been a good deal of ruckus in Canada of late because of the arrest of 17 men and boys alleged to have been involved in a bombing conspiracy. What stands out about the response in Canada is that there has not been (noticably) an anti-Muslim response. That is not to say that there are not bigots in Canada, i have no doubt that there are. However, the general tenor of the public response has been some nervousness, but a continued commitment to the ideals of multiculturalism. Some windows were smashed in a mosque, and it was widely condemned. By and large, the social imperative among the Canadians seems to be tolerance.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 09:03 am
Re: BUNGLED RAID IN LONDON
Setanta wrote:
the police made the unusual move of apologizing for "the hurt we've caused" when the two brothers were released without charges, after being held for a week--

Well, thats one thing they got over the Americans: those will release people from Guantanamo, or some Afghan prison they were kidnapped to (Khalid El-Masri), without charges after many weeks or years, and still not apologise.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 09:09 am
In yesterday's (London) Evening News (print edition, West End Final, frontpage and pages 4 + 5), some articles from a news conference were published:

http://img394.imageshack.us/img394/7100/zwischenablage015qg.th.jpghttp://img207.imageshack.us/img207/92/zwischenablage016sv.th.jpg

Quote:
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 09:15 am
The three brothers arrested all had long beards and shaven heads. That justifies of course 250 police raiding the area, setting up an air exclusion zone over e London !bursting into the premises at 4 am, sticking guns in peoples faces and shooting one man in the shoulder. The three men were questioned about their beards, (one on a morphine drip for the bullet injury) and released. Police have apologised for any inconvenience caused.

Honestly, in the famous words of Richard Littlejohn tabloid hack for the Sun

you could not make it up[/i]
0 Replies