Science has an image problem

spendius

Reply Mon 19 Jun, 2006 08:28 am
Quote:
Scum is a publication for the Brewers Guilds of the Kingdom of the East and the Principality of AEthelmearc, of the Society for Creative Anachronism, Inc. If you are a brewer or brewster, vinter or vintner, mead maker, or just an imbiber, Scum should be part of your life.

In the Spindrifter's Arms where the froth in blowin' in the wind.
0 Replies

najmelliw

Reply Mon 19 Jun, 2006 09:01 am
*ignorance sets in, as it usually does*

What is a prolix?

Naj
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 19 Jun, 2006 09:12 am
Namjie-

It's an adjective not a noun.

e.g. Quite often farmerman writes prolix posts which means that they are tedious, long winded and meaningless consisting almost entirely of baseless assertions which he makes up as he goes along and which he believes, seemingly, support his point of view.

From what I can gather it is the principle characteristic of the general mode of discourse of anti-IDers who are the opposite of ID-iots and thus by logical positive reasoning high grade intellectuals.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 19 Jun, 2006 11:24 am
PROLIX__FATHEADED LONG WINDED BABBLE-or as spendi himself wrote in his own defense that he was , indeed, not guilty of its practice
Quote:
I'm afraid fm that you have used the word "prolix" as another extremely tedious assertion. I don't think it is reasonable to use such a word to describe my prose in general and it is hopeless to use it if you bear in mind the explication in my last post.

As you use it, merely as a term of abuse, with no evidence offered to sustain that usage, it would qualify, though only one word, as prolix itself.
Six letters to say nothing is definitely tediously long winded.

I'm sorry you seem to think that my amusement at my own composition is a weakness. Possibly it is due to your Puritan inheritance. And it is odd how you have never taken c.i. to task over his LOLs despite them having been coming down like snow at times. One thing you are not old boy is even handed.It was just the same with "get a room" and not being on topic. You seem to have an etiquette which varies depending on whether it is displayed by an anti-IDer or not.
But most people enjoy their own wit I have found. It seems natural. And the explanation of its usefulness I have explained. I would much rather read the works of someone who is tickled pink at the ideas he is giving words to than those who self evidently have an aggravating nerve in the vicinity of their lower colon.

I would never refer to someone else's writings as "prolix" because it implies that I have second guessed what was in his mind and I don't have enough confidence in my powers of clairvoyance to chance it but if I were ever to take such a chance I would choose those posts last night between your goodself and Setanta before much else I have read as examples.

You need to show what un-neccessary words I used in putting over the points I was making without reference to your approval of the points to show I was prolix or the reader may come to feel that what you mean by the word is anything of which you don't approve.

I thought my points were efficiently made and were thus incisive which,as you might know, is the opposite of prolix. You have used the word as a synonym of bullshit which, as we all know, again, for the umpteenth time,is anything you disagree with and it is this characteristic, which puts people off by grating on their nerves, that may well cause people to have negative feelings about science when it is a constant and seemingly irredeemable feature of a writer who goes into bat for science. Which,of course,you don't. You only go into bat for yourself.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 19 Jun, 2006 11:26 am
Setanta wrote:
Sludge lets out a big sigh of relief . . .

heeheeheeheehee ... good'n, boss; wish I'd said that Laughing
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 19 Jun, 2006 12:18 pm
fm-

There's hardly a wasted word in the piece of mine you quote. That's allowing one may have passed my notice.Would you be so kind as to point out any for me with an explanation of why they are unneccessary; lack of neccessity being the crucial factor of course and not your attitude to the points. Something can easily be prolix which you agree with.

I would be mortified if I thought young Americans were going to read this thread and come away thinking prolix means what you say it does because they may subsequently use it as you do and be laughed to scorn.

Using your idea of prolix any lecture that lasts longer than 10 seconds fulfills your criteria.

timber wrote-

Quote:
heeheeheeheehee ... good'n, boss; wish I'd said that

Just bullying timber when in a five on one situation. You ought to be ashamed of yourself. Are you in a male bonding love-fest? It's quite obvious who is the Clint Eastwood fan around here. Your slip is showing my dear.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 19 Jun, 2006 12:50 pm
spendi, sometimes I wonder whether the reason you're so convenient to hit is that you're a particularly big, flashy fish, or that the barrel in which you swim is particularly small, offering little else at which to shoot. None the less, your style of discourse does indeed from time to time, continuing with the Clint Eastwood allusion, "make my day". In fact, going on in the same Eastwoodian vein, I greatly enjoy turning your ramblings "any which way but loose." Thank you for the opportunity you so consistently provide.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 19 Jun, 2006 12:53 pm
Money can't buy entertainment like this . . .
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 19 Jun, 2006 12:59 pm
timber-

The reason is that I'm only playing around the edges of this stuff and am fully aware of my prancing on the parapet role.

You should see what's in reserve when you're all aggravated enough to actually charge.

If you know any young innocents though don't encourage them to use "prolix" in the manner fm has done. You would be doing them a disservice.
0 Replies