Do Cobras Climb Trees?

Noddy24

Reply Sun 11 Jun, 2006 06:58 pm
Does anyone know whether cobras--traditional, picture-book cobras with hoods--climb vines and trees?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 5,765 • Replies: 4
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 11 Jun, 2006 07:04 pm
I never thought of it. Some snakes do, of course, but I have never seen pictures or heard of a cobra in a tree.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 12 Jun, 2006 11:58 am
I Googled:

http://banglapedia.search.com.bd/HT/C_0301.htm

Quote:
King Cobra (raj gokhra) The longest poisonous snake of the world, Ophiophagus hannah. Its length may extend up to 5.5 m. The hood is smaller than the cobra (Naja species) but it can be raised to the height of a man. Adults are blackish to pale brown with faint bands over their heads and necks while the juveniles are colourfully banded. It is common in the sundarbans but rare in the forests of Sylhet and Chittagong.

The King Cobra or Hamadryad is mostly diurnal and adept in climbing, swimming and rapid movement over the ground. Its generic name Ophiophagus is related to its habit of eating both poisonous and non-poisonous snakes.

It provides the best egg-care amongst snakes. Mates form a pair bond. After mating, a female builds a two-storey nest by gathering debris and leaves from the forest floor by making a loop of her body around a bunch of leaves and heaping these by repeated leaf-gathering sessions. She also makes a depression at the centre of the nest. This is followed by laying of up to 3 dozen eggs. The nest is then covered by additional supply of debris.

Afterwards, she sits tight over the roof of the nest up to the time the babies hatch in 70 days or so. During this period she does not go for hunting. Although there is no 'incubation' by her, the temperature released by the debris warms up the eggs. In each strike a Hamadryad is known to release over 200 mg (dry weight) neurotoxic venom. Only 16 mg of this venom is enough to kill an average person of 60 kg in weight.

0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Mon 12 Jun, 2006 01:09 pm
Ummm, why do you ask? Should we be avoiding your neighborhood? Or are you looking to get rid of some pesky gardeners?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 12 Jun, 2006 02:02 pm
I have a wooden coral snake (a desert reptile) climbing my hoja vine and I picked up a wooden cobra at a street fair to nestle into the pathos.

When I'm ecologically inaccurate, I like to know.
0 Replies