help:I know christianity has three parts .

Setanta

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2006 10:13 am
As for what Bill may or may not "know" about the JW's:

Wikipedia wrote:
Jesus is God's first creation and he was used by God to create everything else.[41] Jesus is literally the only begotten Son of God, and received his life from God. He is the one who is the means of approach to God in prayer, and is the "Chief Agent of life" and salvation for all worthy mankind.[42]His role as mediator of the "new covenant" is limited to those going to heaven,[43] which number totals 144,000. The vast majority of God's faithful servants will live on a renewed paradise earth.[44]Mary was not perpetually a virgin, but rather bore more children after Jesus.[45] The soul is the human body and consciousness, not an incorporeal entity that dwells in a physical human.

From the Wikipedia article on Jehovah's Witnesses.

What i recall of the Jehovah's witnesses is from the book Thirty Years a Watchtower Slave, i believe--my uncle, who was studying for the ministry had the book and i read it slightly more than forty years ago. What i remember, however, is not contradicted by what i have read online today.

It would be interesting to have Neologist show up here. When he was new here, i asked him if he was a devotee of the Watchtower. I did not want to embarrass him outright, because i know many Christians attack JW's and claim they are not Christian. While i have never known him to own the JW's, he responded in an elliptical affirmative to that question.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2006 11:45 am
Setanta wrote:
If it gratifies you to quibble on such a basis, far be it from me to rain on your parade.

In the fine art of quibbling, you take second place to no one, Setanta.

Setanta wrote:
However, rather than turning on the sprinklers, allow me to point out that you are peddling a particularist point of view. The first is that a "Christian" is one who must believe that Jesus is/was divine. The source word, usually rendered in Roman characters as khristos, simply means "the annointed one." Even extended to mean a savior, or messiah, that does no violence, necessarily, to the JW's position that salvation can only be attained through the intercession of Jesus. The Socinians, who claimed to base all of their theology and exegesis on an appeal to reason, held a similar view that Jesus was the "ur-creation" of God, and that a "creature" could not also be god. It appears to be the same position that the JW's take--that Jesus was the first creation of the deity, and not an aspect of the deity.

To require that Christ had to be "an aspect of the deity" in order to be considered divine is simply to adopt the Catholic position as being the correct position, and there's no basis for that (unless, of course, you're saying that the Catholics are always right on doctrinal matters). You're not addressing the question, you're merely begging it.

The Roman Catholic church would argue that Arianism denied the divinity of Christ because it denied the trinity. An Arian, of course, would disagree. Whether Christ was part of a trinitarian unity with god or was some sort of creation of god, however, does not affect his inherent divinity. So if Arians (or JWs) believe that Christ was begotten of god but not "of" god, then they can still be Christians as long as they believe that Christ was divine (i.e. having some aspect of deity).

That, to my mind, is the minimum qualification for someone to be called a "Christian." If someone believes (as, I think, many Unitarians hold) that Christ was simply a teacher of morality, then that person can be many things but he cannot be a Christian.

Setanta wrote:
I will simply refer again to:

The Catholic Encyclopedia wrote:
A heresy [Ariansism] which arose in the fourth century, and denied the Divinity of Jesus Christ.

And I will simply repeat: that's begging the question.
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2006 11:46 am
Quote:
Christ is Lord and Savior, but not God (Jehovah) incarnate, not a God-man but inferior to God, not part of a Godhead. He was a created spirit being, God's only begotten son, sent to Earth as a perfect human. His sacrifice became the "ransom" price to redeem mankind from sin and death. God created all in heaven and on Earth through Christ, the "master worker," God's servant. After Christ's resurrection by God, he was "exalted" to a level higher than angel.

http://www.beliefnet.com/story/80/story_8034_1.html
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2006 12:00 pm
joefromchicago wrote:
Setanta wrote:
If it gratifies you to quibble on such a basis, far be it from me to rain on your parade.

In the fine art of quibbling, you take second place to no one, Setanta.

You're too humble--you ought not to deny your metier of avocation (to distinguish it from your profession).

Quote:
Setanta wrote:
However, rather than turning on the sprinklers, allow me to point out that you are peddling a particularist point of view. The first is that a "Christian" is one who must believe that Jesus is/was divine. The source word, usually rendered in Roman characters as khristos, simply means "the annointed one." Even extended to mean a savior, or messiah, that does no violence, necessarily, to the JW's position that salvation can only be attained through the intercession of Jesus. The Socinians, who claimed to base all of their theology and exegesis on an appeal to reason, held a similar view that Jesus was the "ur-creation" of God, and that a "creature" could not also be god. It appears to be the same position that the JW's take--that Jesus was the first creation of the deity, and not an aspect of the deity.

To require that Christ had to be "an aspect of the deity" in order to be considered divine is simply to adopt the Catholic position as being the correct position, and there's no basis for that (unless, of course, you're saying that the Catholics are always right on doctrinal matters). You're not addressing the question, you're merely begging it.

No, I'm not begging any questions. I'm simply pointing out what the theology of others seems to be saying--what it appears the JWs allege. If you don't want to agree with that, that's fine, it's no skin off my nose. I don't even have good reason to believe that the putative Jesus actually lived--i personally consider it about a fifty-fifty shot, with perhaps more weight to the side of someone whose reality was seriously warped to create the modern image of Jesus. In none of this am i asserting anything to be true, other than what i believe, based on my reading, to be the contentions of certain varieties of Christian theology and exegesis. This subject is sufficiently uninteresting to me that i've not read anything on the subject for almost forty years--apart from going online to search the key words that i remember, to attempt to determine if my memory is correct. By and large, i have found that what i've read online today does no violence to what i remembered.

Quote:
The Roman Catholic church would argue that Arianism denied the divinity of Christ because it denied the trinity. An Arian, of course, would disagree. Whether Christ was part of a trinitarian unity with god or was some sort of creation of god, however, does not affect his inherent divinity. So if Arians (or JWs) believe that Christ was begotten of god but not "of" god, then they can still be Christians as long as they believe that Christ was divine (i.e. having some aspect of deity).

I know of no good reason to assume that you are entitled to definitively state what the Roman Catholic Chruch would or would not argue, nor yet again the Arians. In the former, you may have a better opportunity to make such assertions, given that that crew is still in business--as to Arians, you will have no better sources than i or anyone else can find, as the likelihood is that the Muslim Berbers put the last of the Arians out of business more than 1300 years ago. I find it hilarious that you tell me that i cannot state what constitutes in what a Christian sect would consist, but that you can. I know of no reason to assume that you understand better the theological arguments of the Arians, the Socinians and the JWs (nor understand them any worse) than do i. As Xingu's quote demonstrates, there are certainly those who are willing to assert that a creation of the deity cannot in and of itself be divine. If you do not agree, that's fine, but it in now way is binding upon my understanding of the issue, so i will choose not to agree with you.

Quote:
That, to my mind, is the minimum qualification for someone to be called a "Christian." If someone believes (as, I think, many Unitarians hold) that Christ was simply a teacher of morality, then that person can be many things but he cannot be a Christian.

It may surprise you to learn that what to your mind qualifies someone to be considered a Christian cannot be unquestionably stated to be definitively final. Ironically, however, this series of exchanges simply underlines the point i was making, which is that there is a decided variety of opinion among Christians, and those who are not or are no longer Christians, as to what it means to be a Christian.

Quote:
Setanta wrote:
I will simply refer again to:

The Catholic Encyclopedia wrote:
A heresy [Ariansism] which arose in the fourth century, and denied the Divinity of Jesus Christ.

And I will simply repeat: that's begging the question.

You'll need to take that up with those responsible for the New Advent site.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2006 02:39 pm
Setanta wrote:
As for what Bill may or may not "know" about the JW's:

Wikipedia wrote:
Jesus is God's first creation and he was used by God to create everything else.[41] Jesus is literally the only begotten Son of God, and received his life from God. He is the one who is the means of approach to God in prayer, and is the "Chief Agent of life" and salvation for all worthy mankind.[42]His role as mediator of the "new covenant" is limited to those going to heaven,[43] which number totals 144,000. The vast majority of God's faithful servants will live on a renewed paradise earth.[44]Mary was not perpetually a virgin, but rather bore more children after Jesus.[45] The soul is the human body and consciousness, not an incorporeal entity that dwells in a physical human.

From the Wikipedia article on Jehovah's Witnesses.

What i recall of the Jehovah's witnesses is from the book Thirty Years a Watchtower Slave, i believe--my uncle, who was studying for the ministry had the book and i read it slightly more than forty years ago. What i remember, however, is not contradicted by what i have read online today.

It would be interesting to have Neologist show up here. When he was new here, i asked him if he was a devotee of the Watchtower. I did not want to embarrass him outright, because i know many Christians attack JW's and claim they are not Christian. While i have never known him to own the JW's, he responded in an elliptical affirmative to that question.

My comments were based on affirmation from the JW Official Website.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2006 02:41 pm
Got a link for that--by which i mean the specific page upon which you read it? It is customary to provide sources, if one is willing to allege having the low down skinny straight from the horse's mouth . . . so to speak.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2006 03:08 pm
Setanta wrote:
No, I'm not begging any questions. I'm simply pointing out what the theology of others seems to be saying--what it appears the JWs allege. If you don't want to agree with that, that's fine, it's no skin off my nose. I don't even have good reason to believe that the putative Jesus actually lived--i personally consider it about a fifty-fifty shot, with perhaps more weight to the side of someone whose reality was seriously warped to create the modern image of Jesus. In none of this am i asserting anything to be true, other than what i believe, based on my reading, to be the contentions of certain varieties of Christian theology and exegesis. This subject is sufficiently uninteresting to me that i've not read anything on the subject for almost forty years--apart from going online to search the key words that i remember, to attempt to determine if my memory is correct. By and large, i have found that what i've read online today does no violence to what i remembered.

You said that the Arians did not believe in the divinity of Christ. That's not "the contentions of certain varieties of Christian theology and exegesis," that's the contention of the Roman Catholic church. It is certainly not the contention of the Arians.

Setanta wrote:
I know of no good reason to assume that you are entitled to definitively state what the Roman Catholic Chruch would or would not argue, nor yet again the Arians. In the former, you may have a better opportunity to make such assertions, given that that crew is still in business--as to Arians, you will have no better sources than i or anyone else can find, as the likelihood is that the Muslim Berbers put the last of the Arians out of business more than 1300 years ago.

Well, I wouldn't have thought that I'd know more about Arianism than you do. But it appears that I do.

Setanta wrote:
I find it hilarious that you tell me that i cannot state what constitutes in what a Christian sect would consist, but that you can.

I don't claim that you can't state what constitutes a Christian sect, I'm just saying that, in this particular instance, you haven't.

Setanta wrote:
I know of no reason to assume that you understand better the theological arguments of the Arians, the Socinians and the JWs (nor understand them any worse) than do i.

Res ipsa loquitur. Or, as someone once put it, "by their works ye shall know them."

Setanta wrote:
As Xingu's quote demonstrates, there are certainly those who are willing to assert that a creation of the deity cannot in and of itself be divine. If you do not agree, that's fine, but it in now way is binding upon my understanding of the issue, so i will choose not to agree with you.

Whether the Arians believed that Christ was divine is a far different question from whether the Catholics believe that the Arians believed in a divine Christ.

Setanta wrote:
It may surprise you to learn that what to your mind qualifies someone to be considered a Christian cannot be unquestionably stated to be definitively final.

It may surprise you to learn that I never claimed that my opinion was definitively final. And if anyone else holds a different opinion, I'm willing to be persuaded otherwise.

Setanta wrote:
Ironically, however, this series of exchanges simply underlines the point i was making, which is that there is a decided variety of opinion among Christians, and those who are not or are no longer Christians, as to what it means to be a Christian.

That goes without saying. There are, after all, a lot of Christians who don't think that Roman Catholics are Christian.

Setanta wrote:
You'll need to take that up with those responsible for the New Advent site.

Sadly, the authors of that version of the Catholic Encyclopedia are not amenable to persuasion. The CE was published between 1907 and 1917.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2006 04:13 pm
Nevertheless, those who are responsible for the New Advent site are responsible for using that document.

You wish to stipulate that no one who will not accept the premise that the putative Jesus was divine can be called a Christian. I really couldn't give a rat's ass. Some people, including Unitarians, state that they do not believe that the putative Jesus was divine, and that they are Christians, despite your position on the issue (no, no, really, they do!). To that, i would say, fine. You, apparently would say, no, you're not Christians. That's OK by me, too.

My remark was that there is more than one version of Christianity. To that, Scott alleged that there is only one Christianity. I then observed that there were many areas in which those who assert that they are Christians disagree. Among those was the divinity of Christ. I never took you for religiously perfervid, but now you jump in to asser that anyone who denies the divinity of the putative Jesus cannot be a Christian. You need to take that up with anyone who makes those assertions--i don't have a dog in the fight.

You'll have to find someone else to play with you, Joe. I don't care whether or not someone who disputes the divinity of the putative Jesus calls him- or herself a Christian.
0 Replies

Scott777ab

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2006 11:55 pm
Setanta wrote:
He cannot even logically assert that his doctrinal bigotry applies to all Christians. Not all Christians believe the Jesus was divine. Not all Christians believe that Jesus was the son of god. Not all Christians believe in predestination. Not all Christians believe in free will. Not all Christians believe in a trinity. Not all Christians believe that salvation can be achieved from faith alone--although i think one could reasonably assert that no Christians believe that salvation can be attained through works alone.

What Scott displays is a bigotted assertion that only he can define what Christianity is.

True Christains
Believe :
Jesus was divine
Jesus was the Son of God
In Predestination
In Free Will
Salvation is by faith alone through Christ.

Those who don't are not TRUE Christains plain and simple.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sat 10 Jun, 2006 12:03 am
Quote:
What Scott displays is a bigotted assertion that only he can define what Christianity is.

There he goes again.
0 Replies

Scott777ab

Reply Sat 10 Jun, 2006 01:19 am
Setanta wrote:

A bigot is a prejudiced person who is intolerant of opinions, lifestyles or identities differing from his or her own.

Frist off I dont give a flying flip what other people believe or don't believe, or even how they live or don't live.

Just cause I have a very specific view of the word and what is God's word and what it says compared to other relgions does not make me a bigot.

So before you go and use a word such as bigot, make sure you actually know what it means.

It is more like you are biggoted toward anyone who believes that there is only one way to God, and to hell with any one who disagrees with you.

Chew on that.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 11 Jun, 2006 05:10 pm
No chewing needed. As i have no reason to believe there is a hell, i have no reason to consign anyone to hell. Your assertions about what constitutes a "true" Christian is patently bigotted. Chew on that.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 12 Jun, 2006 08:19 am
Scott777ab wrote:
True Christains
Believe :
Jesus was divine

I agree. It's inconceivable that someone who professes to be a Christian does not believe that Christ was divine.

Scott777ab wrote:
Jesus was the Son of God

I think a Christian can believe that Christ was somehow the "product" of god without needing to believe that he was god's "son." Even the evangelists probably thought that "son" was more of a metaphor than anything else (it's difficult to reconcile the notion of cosubstantiality with the idea that Christ "descended from" god -- but then the whole notion of cosubstantiality is pretty hard to fathom).

Scott777ab wrote:
In Predestination

That is not a sine qua non of "true" Christianity. It's more of a Calvinist/Presbyterian thing.

Scott777ab wrote:
In Free Will

I'm not sure how you reconcile free will with predestination.

Scott777ab wrote:

That's the Protestant position, that's not necessarily the Christian position.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 12 Jun, 2006 08:50 am
Scott777ab wrote:
Setanta wrote:
He cannot even logically assert that his doctrinal bigotry applies to all Christians. Not all Christians believe the Jesus was divine. Not all Christians believe that Jesus was the son of god. Not all Christians believe in predestination. Not all Christians believe in free will. Not all Christians believe in a trinity. Not all Christians believe that salvation can be achieved from faith alone--although i think one could reasonably assert that no Christians believe that salvation can be attained through works alone.

True Christains
Believe :
Jesus was divine
Jesus was the Son of God
In Predestination
In Free Will

Setanta wrote:
And, since then, I have several times admitted to my role as a door knocking believer. However I usually raise the disclaimer that my posts are my own and may not accurately reflect the teacjings of the Watchtower Society. So here are the neo-answers to some of the topics herien raised:

Two minute version, of course:

Three parts of christianity: HUH?

Jesus' divinity: He is the firstborn of all creation, divine in nature, The mirror image of, but not equal to, his father.

Jehovah has free will. He gave free will to his intelligent creations as one of his greatest gifts. While he is capable of foreknowledge, he is under no necessity to apply it to our specific circumstances. We are neither predestined nor predetermined. To believe otherwise would infer that all the misery of human history, all the evil, at one time existed within the mind of God and was deliberately visited upon creation in some sort of sadistic big bang.

Jehovah's purpose is for humans to live peacefully forever on earth. The Edenic rebellion in no way caused him to change his mind. He will set all matters straight in his appointed time.
0 Replies

Scott777ab

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2006 09:19 pm
Setanta wrote:
No chewing needed. As i have no reason to believe there is a hell, i have no reason to consign anyone to hell. Your assertions about what constitutes a "true" Christian is patently bigotted. Chew on that.

Frist off why you even replying to my post when it is easily seen that you don't believe in the word of God.
You dont believe in hell. Your words
The bible teaches that hell is real.
Therefore you don't believe God word.

Now sense you don't believe God's word, you have no leg to stand on to make comments about christianity at all.

My views are not more biggoted than what the bible presents. Now if you are calling me a biggot then you are calling God a biggot also. Cause it is His word that I believe fully.

You call me a biggot cause what I say is to straight and narrow for you, you call me a biggot cause I don't bend with ever stray wind that blows my way, you call me a biggot cause I talk in simple talk with simple words that you can not disprove using the word of God.

So call me biggot all you want, one day you will be bowing your knee and confessing that Jesus is Lord of All.

Chew on that.
0 Replies

Scott777ab

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2006 09:23 pm
neologist wrote:
Scott777ab wrote:
Setanta wrote:

True Christains
Believe :
Jesus was divine
Jesus was the Son of God
In Predestination
In Free Will

Setanta wrote:
And, since then, I have several times admitted to my role as a door knocking believer. However I usually raise the disclaimer that my posts are my own and may not accurately reflect the teacjings of the Watchtower Society. So here are the neo-answers to some of the topics herien raised:

Two minute version, of course:

Three parts of christianity: HUH?

Jesus' divinity: He is the firstborn of all creation, divine in nature, The mirror image of, but not equal to, his father.

Jehovah has free will. He gave free will to his intelligent creations as one of his greatest gifts. While he is capable of foreknowledge, he is under no necessity to apply it to our specific circumstances. We are neither predestined nor predetermined. To believe otherwise would infer that all the misery of human history, all the evil, at one time existed within the mind of God and was deliberately visited upon creation in some sort of sadistic big bang.

Jehovah's purpose is for humans to live peacefully forever on earth. The Edenic rebellion in no way caused him to change his mind. He will set all matters straight in his appointed time.

Ok here is another one I will be slammed on.
Friend I am glad you believe in Jesus.
But according the bible if you read it and compare the verses, you will find out that Jesus is Jehovah.
Yes you read that correct I am saying Jesus is Jehovah
Even the name Jesus mean Jehovah will save.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2006 10:14 pm
The trinity scam has been debunked here and here.
If Jesus were in fact Jehovah, who did he obey? "Though he were a Son, yet learned he obedience by the things which he suffered . . ." (Hebrews 5:8)
To whom did he pray? (John 17)
Who resurrected him? (Acts 2:32)
Who sent him? "Jesus saith unto them, My meat is to do the will of him that sent me, and to finish his work." (John 4:34)
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 08:39 pm
Scott777ab Wrote:

[quote]True Christains
Believe :
Jesus was divine
Jesus was the Son of God
In Predestination
In Free Will

Those who don't are not TRUE Christains plain and simple. [/quote]

I agree with all of this except the predestination. If predestination were true there would be no need for anyone to make a choice for or against God. According to predestination as I understand it, God has already made the choice of who goes to heaven and who goes to hell. I don't believe that. I do believe that He already knows who is or isn't going to heaven but He has not made that decision for us. Free will is what we have to make that choice for God or against God.

Some will call some bigoted merely because they disagree and feel they are "therefore bigoted in their views" because they essentially discriminate (which is actually just choosing) against something else. It's just a word some like to throw around when others don't agree with them.

Neo,

I have a question. I have heard a JW say that Michael the Archangel is Jesus' brother. Is this a JW teaching as you understand it?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 10:56 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
Scott777ab Wrote:

[quote]True Christains
Believe :
Jesus was divine
Jesus was the Son of God
In Predestination
In Free Will

I agree with all of this except the predestination. If predestination were true there would be no need for anyone to make a choice for or against God. According to predestination as I understand it, God has already made the choice of who goes to heaven and who goes to hell. I don't believe that. I do believe that He already knows who is or isn't going to heaven but He has not made that decision for us. Free will is what we have to make that choice for God or against God.

Some will call some bigoted merely because they disagree and feel they are "therefore bigoted in their views" because they essentially discriminate (which is actually just choosing) against something else. It's just a word some like to throw around when others don't agree with them.

Neo,

I have a question. I have heard a JW say that Michael the Archangel is Jesus' brother. Is this a JW teaching as you understand it?[/color][/quote]I've been meaning to get to this. What does the word archangel mean? And how many are there? What does the name Michael mean? Think on it. I'll get back. I've bookmarked it here. Smile
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 09:31 am
I'll do some researching, Neo. It'll probably be tomorrow before I can get back with you. Looking forward to it!
0 Replies