Was she unprofessional??

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 10:49 am
Here is a question for all of you to respond to.

A person has taken the time to better themselves and get a diploma in Para-education( teacher's aide) In our school division all current and up and coming TA's will be required to have this diploma. Now this person has put their name on the call in list to be a substitute TA. The TA union requires that your name be on the schools list in order to be called in. The person waits to be called in a gets no calls, and later finds out that a person who's name is not on the list has been called in by the school to work. Upset by this information the person writes a letter asking why the other person has been called in (the person name names in the letter) the person also asks if she has the required course and the other person does not why again has this person been called in. Was she unprofessional in naming names or is it the letter itself.

You should also know that the adminstration called the person at home and told very forcefully that she was unprofessional. The person at this time requested a meeting with the admin. During that meeting the admin told the person that they could call in anyone that they wanted. ( not the case according to union rules. ) the admin then sent a letter saying that the persons behavior was extremely unprofessional. Who is truly in the wrong here??
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 917 • Replies: 4
No top replies

onyxelle

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 10:54 am
a case of personal favors maybe? It seems to me that the letter might have been better received if the shafted TA hadn't named names. My husband is a teacher, and he might say that if the union doesn't step up to this *problem* that it's a weak @$$ union. What HAS the union said about this?
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 11:06 am
Yeah, I'd say she should have taken it to her union advocate.
0 Replies

LeilaJoy

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 11:22 am
Union is upset by it and is looking in to it. The shafted TA was hurt on a personal level. Small town everyone knows everybody.but big school division. the TA felt like they were personally being cut out of work and really wanted to know if they had done something wrong especially when the school was calling in someone who was not even on the list.
0 Replies

SallyMander

Reply Sun 16 Jul, 2006 06:35 pm
I second DrewDad. Unions have the power to straighten this stuff out. Are you a member of a protected group? That could help for a discrimination claim.

Why did the administration discriminate? --Probably because they thought they could get away with it. Why did they call you unprofessional for complaining and naming names? --Probably because they think they can get away with it.

Alternatively, people say, "If you want to get called, kiss-a-da-buttza." Nobody likes to get yammered into favoring the yammerer. Threatening works if you have the power to follow through. Smile

Good luck.

Sal
0 Replies