customs

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2006 12:39 am
Austrians have the reputation of loving children,but of ignoring them in the conduct of business in shops.Regardless of their position in a waiting line,children are often served last.Why do they do so?I can't understand.Thank you very much!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 850 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2006 08:26 am
I think this may not be true, and that you were misinformed. I will send a message to one of our members who is from Australia, and ask him to comment on your question.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2006 08:26 am
In Australia or Austria? They're pretty far apart!
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2006 08:42 am
selinamy I live in Australia. I have never seen the action you speak of. If I were in a shop and the person serving me ignored a child who i knew was ahead of me in line I would politely indicate to the person serving that the child should be served first.

Can you tell more about where you got this idea?

I am dissapointed that people in China hold this idea to be true and would ask your help to reject this myth.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2006 09:09 am
I'll ask again. Is he/she actually referring to Australia or to Austria?
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2006 09:14 am
It seems to me many of these students only have limited internet access time Wilso so I am answering on the assumed basis that he/she does mean Australia. If that is not the case we will find out next time this person has net time and no real harm done.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2006 09:17 am
It took me a while to get across the difference between Australia and Austria to my fiance (Thai). It wasn't until we visited a friend of hers who had a blow up globe that it finally sunk in. Very Happy
0 Replies

ffydownunder

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 01:53 am
I've also never ever seen this happen in Australia! Think about it logically..... If a child was always served last and adults kept on coming into the shop, the child would never get served.

I know that students (school kids) are asked to leave their bags outside some shops and i can completely understand this.... have you seen the size of some of the kids bags? and the shops aren't that big to begin with.

I also know that some shops only allow 2 or 3 students in at a time.... again because 25 highly excited kids in a small space is just a recipe for disaster, and can put other shoppers off.

I do not think that this is in any way dispresepctful to children, i just think it acknowledges that kids will be kids and sometimes just need a little bit extra control.

I have to say that every kid/student/young person I've ever encountered in australia has been WAY MORE polite and better mannered that their scottish and english counterparts!
0 Replies