Lord Ellpus wrote:
Now, where's that cat?

"Where's a Cat When You Need One?"

dlowan is protecting them....

Be afraid, be very afraid
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Tue 6 Jun, 2006 01:43 am
But I'm very afraid, those bunnies are evil...
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 6 Jun, 2006 03:14 am
Hey Reyn, who are those two females?
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 6 Jun, 2006 03:41 am
Reyn wrote:
Ah, c'mon, not even just a little? :wink:

http://www.twinphish.net/images/eklektic_01_26_02/drama_queens.jpg

Well ok, I might go for the one on the right Razz
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 6 Jun, 2006 03:45 am
Francis wrote:
Lord Ellpus wrote:
Now, where's that cat?

I think that cat is a pussy...

Chacun cherche son chat..

the prince wrote:
nimh wrote:
.... And I don't like drama queens, no sirree.

And I thought he loved me.... Sad

Aww... you're not much of a drama queen on here though... <blows kiss>
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 6 Jun, 2006 05:07 am
Tico wrote:
I came back to this thread to erase my post. Just my luck that the one time I want to be ignored, I'm not!

Phoenix, thank you very much, but please don't single me out. My post wasn't a cry for attention, but a simple statement of my experiences here and how I, as a relative newcomer, viewed them. On the other hand, maybe your post and my whine will do some small thing to change the direction of the site.

I'm glad you didn't get a chance to delete.

I find your posts insightful too.

Also, I agree to much of what you've said there. I, and I'm sure others have had the same experience. Especially the saying something, having it ignored, only to have someone else say the same thing and all of a sudden - ah....genius!

I know I'm guilty of taking a serious inquiry and finding the humor in it, when the poster wasn't expecting that. Personally, I find much truth in humor, and it makes that truth easier to swallow. However, I'm going to have to remember that the other poster isn't a mind reader, and doesn't realize I'm responding in my own way.

Thanks tico. We all need reminders sometimes.

If I give any thought as to A2K loosing its luster, it's because of the following....

I'm personally tired of the group that wanders around with the sole purpose of eviserating people. These same are also the experts of what I think of as "the sneak attack"

It comes out of nowhere, accomplishes nothing positive, and only serves to plunge an otherwise sound thread into a name calling bitch fest.

Now, this isn't an example of that per se...but it makes me think of a thread I posted on just last night, that's been going on for a few days....the one about having children and it's natures command and all that....I was rereading the posts when it hit me...it was obvious from my perspective the originator of the thread wasn't interested in a dialogue, just wanted to state an opinion as fact, and force others to admit the superiority of his thinking.

My last post there was...."So what's you point here?"
To me, when I post about something I feel strongly about, there's also a willingness to say..."you know, you have a point there, I'm going to need to rethink my position"

The threads/posters I find myself avoiding are the ones in which there is no dialogue, just stubborness dressed up in fancy words.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 6 Jun, 2006 05:24 am
FreeDuck wrote:
Doesn't this happen every spring/summer?

It does.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 6 Jun, 2006 05:35 am
Quote:
I've made comments which were ignored, only to see a veteran A2Ker say essentially the same thing and be lauded. I've started a thread that went nowhere -- either because there is no genuine interest or because a veteran said it was of no concern (alpha member redirects herd). I've made sincere posts only to find out that the thread was a joke -- and felt like an idiot. I've learned from other BBs that commenting on the ubiqitous American politics or religion threads will only invite derision and scorn. These are all hallmarks of online cliques.

Tico- I did not want to pick on you personally. It was just that you wrote what I had been thinking. I think that it is important for members to pull themselves up short once in awhile, and think about what is happening on A2K.

I think that some of us have become so comfortable with the site, and with each other, that we fail to consider how we appear to a new member. I can remember the first post that I wrote on Abuzz (before A2K). I had never written to an internet forum before, and I was nervous as hell. I wrote an extremely non-threatening question (about the state of some bottles of champagne that I had for years), and nervously waited for someone to respond.

I was so happy that people were welcoming, and that a few had some useful ideas for me. I think that things might have been very different if no one had answered. I might have slinked away, never to return. Sad

Sometimes I wonder whether we are losing some potentially valuable members, because of the perception of cliqueishness. I think that we need to bear this in mind, when we respond to newbies.

Think of it. If I had not been greeted warmly on Abuzz, I might not be here today. (No remarks from the wiseasses please, about that being a good thing! Evil or Very Mad )
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 6 Jun, 2006 05:39 am
I can't believe i was actually allowed to read a page of this thread, much less respond to it.

This site has the least "cliquishness" of any site i've ever seen, and, as it happens, i've visited a great many, and registered and posted at not a few.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Tue 6 Jun, 2006 05:45 am
Setanta wrote:
I can't believe i was actually allowed to read a page of this thread, much less respond to it.

This site has the least "cliquishness" of any site i've ever seen, and, as it happens, i've visited a great many, and registered and posted at not a few.

I see...

At any rate, good to see you finally found your way back into these pages.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 6 Jun, 2006 06:17 am
Francis wrote:
Lord Ellpus wrote:
Now, where's that cat?

I think that cat is a pussy...

Where's the cheese.......
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Tue 6 Jun, 2006 06:22 am
dlowan wrote:
Where's the cheese.......

.., apple pie?
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Tue 6 Jun, 2006 06:27 am
Tico wrote:
I've made comments which were ignored, only to see a veteran A2Ker say essentially the same thing and be lauded. I've started a thread that went nowhere...

guess i must be the only one who always gets immediate recognition & credit for all his posts. Cool

Quote:
Somedays, it's just easier to play a few games, or enjoy the humour of the regulars.

that's your problem. how do you expect to be taken seriously when you waste your time in trivia threads? Razz
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 6 Jun, 2006 06:32 am
lustre.
That's all I want to say.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 6 Jun, 2006 06:35 am
msolga wrote:
lustre.

At last!
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Tue 6 Jun, 2006 06:36 am
is "lustre" in short supply as well (as opposed to luster)?

tico, you left out one more salient characteristic of the outcast newbie: having a veteran member take offense at a self-deprecating tongue-in-cheek remark that wasn't directed at him or her.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 6 Jun, 2006 06:36 am
dlowan wrote:
msolga wrote:
lustre.

At last!

Very Happy
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 6 Jun, 2006 06:47 am
Every poster here has a unique experience, that moves with their personality and moods. I have great times on here, when life couldn't get any better, and then times when nothing seems right and I have to back off. I guess all the old timers know exactly what I'm going to say before I say it anymore, and that can be bad, but it can't stop me from participating. I just have to be selecteive where and how often I post.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 6 Jun, 2006 07:22 am
Tico wrote:
There are definitely cliques here. I believe that's a natural trait of a maturing site with this population. But it's difficult for someone like me to break in.

I've made comments which were ignored, only to see a veteran A2Ker say essentially the same thing and be lauded. I've started a thread that went nowhere -- either because there is no genuine interest or because a veteran said it was of no concern (alpha member redirects herd). I've made sincere posts only to find out that the thread was a joke -- and felt like an idiot. I've learned from other BBs that commenting on the ubiqitous American politics or religion threads will only invite derision and scorn. These are all hallmarks of online cliques.

But maybe I just don't have the proper "intellectual quality" required.

On the other hand, I've also benefitted from some great advice and links here, learned new things, and enjoyed some debates (if I ignore the posts by the cut'n'paste monsters and the single-issue belligerent ones).

Somedays, it's just easier to play a few games, or enjoy the humour of the regulars.

I for one don't consider myself cliquish and I've been here a long time.

I have a special fondness for Canada and Canadians. I almost moved there in the mid seventies.

The second most beautiful woman I ever met and interacted (that's what I'm calling it today) with was a french canadian girl from Winnipeg named Suzanne Christink. Almost 30 years later when the house is empty and I'm alone masturbating I still think of her.

Of course it's a given that squinney is THE most beautiful woman on earth. I think I'll go lie down and think about a threesome with squinney and Suzanne. It's my day off. 6-6-6 day ya know.

But I digress. Tico if you want the dubious honor of A2K regular then jump in and post your ass off and it will happen.

I personally would welcome all but maybe a handful of A2Kers into my home at anytime. The problem would lie in how many were willing to enter. :wink:

Here's another tip..... find yourself a well loved spouse. People put up with me around here because they like squinney so well.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 6 Jun, 2006 08:46 am
Wonder how many people will now type "Suzanne Christink" into Google Image :wink:
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/11/2024 at 06:23:05