[answered] Can I Use Part of GIF File?

Reply Sun 4 Jun, 2006 07:39 am
I have had the same avatar for four years, and have never thought about changing it. All of a sudden, I saw something that I really loved. The problem is that it is in a GIF format. It is a cartoon of an eaglet, and it opens and closes its eyes. But then it goes on to advertise some hottub or something. I am not in the business of advertising hottubs.

Is there any way that I can break up the GIF, so that I just have the pictures of the eaglet opening and closing its eyes?

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0WQDpAqEcfCTb83xIg4h*h1tvqen9zsJZvW6!MWT0H51TCE1j5nLL99iPcyycYmzAG7BzyFLhjmPD1B4TTLyH*yq29WYQ9nhynnxLNragCtGItcpDlyoU1CjlcCJnEBlCoKBa3lYCHT0/a%20blinkie.gif
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,088 • Replies: 5
No top replies

contrex

Reply Sun 4 Jun, 2006 11:04 am
I use a program called JASC Paint Shop Pro, I have version 9.0, I think for version 10 it changed to being called Corel Paint Shop Pro, but bundled with it is a program called Animation Workshop, this allows you to assemble an animated GIF from a series of frames, and also to break up an already existing animated GIF into frames. (I think you can choose jpeg or gif or bmp format). So you could break up your GIF file, choose the image frames you want to include in your new animation, and build a new GIF.

If you don't fancy paying for Paint Shop Pro Wink then type "GIF editor" into Google, there are plenty of free ones out there.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 4 Jun, 2006 12:49 pm
I've grown very fond of you as a skeptical eye.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 4 Jun, 2006 01:13 pm
Here, Phoenix - if yawanna, just right-click and copy ("Save picture as ... ") this:

http://img445.imageshack.us/img445/8347/untitled40tk.gif

I'm not real comfortable with any of the "free" Animators I've come across; as with "free" anything on the web, there's always the potential for bundled yuckware. A number of reputable apps offer functional trial versions - good animators are anywhere from under $20 on up to somwhere around astronomic. To produce this one, I used Irfanview (free for non-commercial use - donationware, chip in what you want if you wish) to extract the individual frames, saving just the "birdie" ones to a folder and discardint the "hot tub" frames. I then used a commercial app (Selteco's Bannershop Animator, free to try for a couple weeks or so - I think - mebbe limited feature set in evaluation version - about $40 to buy) to assemble the final product, which I then uploaded to ImageShack (free basic image hosting which supports hotlinking) and hotlinked from here.

Edit to add - oops Embarrassed the file I originally linked for you is over the limit for avatars here ... hang on, got some more conversion to do before you can use it.

Edit to add some more: OK - I made some changes, the linked image now fits size-wise, but isn't very crisp. I'll play with it a bit more later on - sorry; thought I was being helpful Embarrassed Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 5 Jun, 2006 04:40 am
Noddy24 wrote:
I've grown very fond of you as a skeptical eye.

Timber- Thanks for your help. I am still not sure whether I want to change........................but you have to admit that it IS cute.

Noddy- Your words gave me pause. I really am emotionally connected to the green "eye". But did you notice, that the main focal point of the eaglet are his eyes. Do you think that means something????? Laughing
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 5 Jun, 2006 01:06 pm
Quote:
Your words gave me pause. I really am emotionally connected to the green "eye". But did you notice, that the main focal point of the eaglet are his eyes. Do you think that means something?????

I think it means you are moving from a steady, contemplative gaze to a fluttering, predatory peek-a-boo.

Have you priced red convertables recently?
0 Replies