Do you agree?-QUICK FIX SOCIETY

Reply Sat 3 Jun, 2006 09:29 pm
In the quick fix society, we get what we what now instead of later, do what we would like to faster instead of lower and learn about what we need superficially instead of thoroughly.
In fact, the "I-hate-to-wait" attitude has permeated every level of our lives. More and more people get so impatient that cannot to wait until their efforts work. People prefer relax now, relax later; people prefer fast food, ATM, VASA and whatever else are capable of saving time; people prefer condensed books, music, news, even relationship.
The sad truth is that we just do well in saving time instead of spending time. Slowing down and enjoying details can help us find a new life.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,091 • Replies: 11
No top replies

Chai

Reply Sat 3 Jun, 2006 09:38 pm
I hear ya sister.
0 Replies

Anastasia4ever

Reply Sat 3 Jun, 2006 10:00 pm
Sorry,I cannot follow u. Confused
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sat 3 Jun, 2006 10:07 pm
I don't believe in quick fixes. They never seem to stay fixed.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sat 3 Jun, 2006 10:13 pm
Anastasia4ever wrote:
Sorry,I cannot follow u. Confused

I mean, I totally agree with everything you said :wink:
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sat 3 Jun, 2006 10:14 pm
Likewise>>>>>>>>>>> Laughing
0 Replies

Anastasia4ever

Reply Sat 3 Jun, 2006 10:28 pm
OH,I see. Thanks. And although I don't like quick fixes, I cannot use them occasionally.It is a kind of pity.
0 Replies

Anastasia4ever

Reply Sat 3 Jun, 2006 10:30 pm
Sorry,I have made a mistake.I mean 'I have to use them occasionally'.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Sun 4 Jun, 2006 08:36 am
I've often lamented this saving. We're saving time as you described, but we're also saving money by buying mediocre products. We're saving health by staying away from foods that are more cancer provoking than others. We save time, do everything to live longer, saving and saving until at last we don't need anything at all.

So I wonder what we're saving it all for.

Personally I don't give it much credit, this hysteria. I am concerned with the quality of my years, not the quantity.
If I can have five years of extreme ups and downs, fast love and slow agony, experience richer than I can swallow, then it is infinitely more valuable than eighty years of tranquil stability where the most exciting thing that ever happens is the annual trip to the dentist.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sun 4 Jun, 2006 09:46 am
Cyracuz wrote:
Personally I don't give it much credit, this hysteria. I am concerned with the quality of my years, not the quantity.
If I can have five years of extreme ups and downs, fast love and slow agony, experience richer than I can swallow, then it is infinitely more valuable than eighty years of tranquil stability where the most exciting thing that ever happens is the annual trip to the dentist.

I understand where you're coming from Cyracuz.

I had way more than my 5 years of extreme ups and downs and am now enjoying my tranquail stability. I have to say I am enjoying this part Much More Cool

What I dispair of when I think "quick fix" is how people seem so disconnected to the world today.

Humans walking around with apparatus plugged into their ears, rather than hearing what their fellow man is saying.

The wanting everything now Now NOW, not appreciating the process of the attaining is where the joy is.

Oh, and I'm not referring to matrial things. We want patience, understanding and enlightenment, and we want to go out and purchase it RIGHT NOW via a cd or dvd that will instruct us on how to get these things in one 90 minute session.

80 years of patience, understanding and enlightenment takes exactly 80 years to attain, no matter who you are.

my 80 years and your 80 years may not give the same results, but, each of us will need to take the same time to arrive at our individual places... why not enjoy the ride?
0 Replies

Shazzer

Reply Mon 12 Jun, 2006 08:27 pm
Well, I think if you're talking about a fad when you guys say 'quick fix,' then it's possibly suspect. Examples are rampant, most obviously in diet trends. But I think in terms of technology, it's not so much the speed of the processes that's a problem as much as what is possibly being revealed about the user. Because the aim of technology is efficiency, of which speed is one aspect.

Now this is all rhetorical of course. But I always wonder about people who complain about having nothing to do with all this 'extra time' they acquire. Because personally, I'm always looking for more time to do things I am passionate about. And I wonder if maybe that is the problem in itself. Maybe now that all the clutter has been cleared away, we've come to realize that we actually didn't mind the mess because we really didn't know what we wanted to do with the room in the first place. Maybe the complaining is just misdirection.

Ms. Chai wrote:
Quote:
The wanting everything now Now NOW, not appreciating the process of the attaining is where the joy is.

Oh, and I'm not referring to matrial things. We want patience, understanding and enlightenment, and we want to go out and purchase it RIGHT NOW via a cd or dvd that will instruct us on how to get these things in one 90 minute session.

I understand what you mean; however, I wonder if those people who are unwilling or unable to appreciate the process would ever truly reach their goal anyways. You have to be able to differentiate between the dvd and enlightment. If you can't do that, well it's a good place to start, you know? So that dvd will be a jumping off point for them. At least they're looking for enlightenment.

The desire for what we all call 'instant gratification' isn't new. What is new is that we are entering an age where we can actually get some. And we're coming to expect it. Personally, I think that's a good thing. Progress and all that. And while I do recognize the pejorative aspects, I think they'll work themselves out over time.

But I guess that's the generation Y in me talking. . .
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2006 04:49 pm
I still have trouble swallowing this concept of 'saving' time.

How can you save time? You can't! You can't tuck it away for later.
You can accomplish a goal more quickly. You can perhaps do tasks more efficiently.
It has nothing to do with saving time. It has to do with being able, like Shazzer said, to get it NOW. To see a desire or need come to fruition NOW.
Temptations? afoot everywhere.
Distraction? Options?
0 Replies