Cellular Phones

gollum

Reply Sat 3 Jun, 2006 05:35 pm
Are there any cell phones available where the customer only pays for calls made and/or received without separate monthly charges?

(I want to get a cell phone only for emergencies.)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,278 • Replies: 11
No top replies

Montana

Reply Sat 3 Jun, 2006 05:52 pm
There sure is. They are called pre paid phones and here's a link to the Google search I did on them.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&rls=SUNA,SUNA:2006-11,SUNA:en&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&ct=result&cd=1&q=prepaid+cell+phone&spell=1
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sat 3 Jun, 2006 06:30 pm
I'm really glad I got a pre pay phone gollum

I got some cheap nokia phone for something like $50.

Then I bought a $25 phone card that lasted for either 200 minutes or 3 months, whichever comes first.

Since I basically only use it to call or get called by my husband when I'm out and about, I had plenty of minutes left over at the end of 3 months.

If you recharge your phone with another card before the expiration date, all your minutes rolled over, so they just kept accumulating. That was good because when I went on vacation, or away on business, I would tend to use it more.

But wait! There's MORE!

Last December, I went and recharged my card with $25, and in a couple days I forgot if I had done it, so I called the automated # to see what I had.....My minutes, all the rollover, plus the new ones, weren't going to expire until December of THIS year.

Turns out after you spend I think $100 in cards, they give you bonus minutes and nothing expires for a year.

Jeez, sometimes a couple of weeks go by where I don't even use the thing, and then it's to call home to see if we need bread or milk or something.

I did get a tire blowout on the interstate a couple of months ago, so that was worth everything right there.

I got mine from T-mobile....it's called T-mobile to go....

check that out, I'm happy.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Sat 3 Jun, 2006 06:46 pm
Cellular Phones
We have a cell phone for which we pay $25 every 90 days. If we don't use up all the minutes they are added to the next 90-day period, so we can accumulate quite a nice total over time. We rarely use the phone, keeping it in the car, but when wanted it's awfully handy.

There's no contract, simply the 90-day update. Of course, if we forget to update, then the unused minutes are lost - it has happened, and then I feel really really stupid.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Sat 3 Jun, 2006 06:48 pm
Cellular Phones
The phone's in the car right now, so I can't remember if it's still AT&T or gone over to Sprint. I'll have to check & let you know, but I believe several companies have this type of service.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 3 Jun, 2006 06:48 pm
I have a two year contract left on my existing phone, but when that's finished, I'm going with a pre-paid.

I'm like you Chai, when it comes to using the cell phone. I kinda live in the boonies, so the security is my first priority, but then there are the times I'm at the store and I call to see if mom wants anything or if I need to make any business calls while I'm on break from work.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 3 Jun, 2006 06:50 pm
Re: Cellular Phones
Tomkitten wrote:
We have a cell phone for which we pay $25 every 90 days. If we don't use up all the minutes they are added to the next 90-day period, so we can accumulate quite a nice total over time. We rarely use the phone, keeping it in the car, but when wanted it's awfully handy.

There's no contract, simply the 90-day update. Of course, if we forget to update, then the unused minutes are lost - it has happened, and then I feel really really stupid.

Mine sits in my car as well Cool
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sun 4 Jun, 2006 07:05 am
Montana - you have TWO years left on a contract?!

How long have you had them, I've never heard of such a long contract time.

How much would you have to pay to break the contract? $100, $200? Over 24 months, that's only $4 or $8 a month. What do you pay for you phone service? $30-$40 a month.

Do the math and see if you'd come out ahead by cancelling and getting a pre-pay.

If you hardly use any minutes a $25 card lasting 3 months is only $8 a month. Plus the initial cost of buying the phone. Like I said, after you spend x amnt on cards, they last a year, so you may only need to buy a couple of cards a year. AND, if you lose the phone, you're only out those few dollars, instead of someone finding your phone and making calls to Hawaii.

Who's your service provider?
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2006 06:44 pm
Chai
I recently combined my land-line, cell phone and internet to get a package deal, but by doing this, I had to agree to another 2 year contract with my existing phone. My provider for all 3 is alliant telecom.
By combining everything, I save about $20 a month, so I'm actually not paying that much.
If I get rid of the cell, the land-line and internet bill will go up, so I figure I might as well just wait the 2 years.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2006 07:30 pm
Ahhh....I see said the blind man.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2006 07:43 pm
My wife got a pre-paid because she needed it for her client confirmations and talking to her sisters and the kids. And like Chai, she saw that her fiorst cell phone just sat in the front of her truck, charging.
She has a years lan and its really got me thinking . We get so many bills each month
Home, home long distance
Business
cell and walkie talkie

I know Im getting screwed mostly on the stupis service charges like the "Homeland Securty surcharge"
ARE There telephone consultants who can work out a simple plan so I only get ONE FRIGGIN BILL?? (I actually remember those days when there was A phone company not a bunch of kommunication kiosks)
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2006 09:05 pm
I'm hearin ya Farmer. I was very happy to combine 3 of my most pain in the ass, little crap bills! I find it so much easier having it all in one bill and I'm surprised you guys don't have some sort of system down your way, where you could do the same, but there are so many different companies and it doesn't help when they aren't connected with eachother.

Now if I could get my sons girls to stop calling 24/7, I'll be good to go Laughing
0 Replies