Our Schools & Colleges are Graduating Animals

coberst

Reply Tue 30 May, 2006 05:27 am
Our Schools & Colleges are Graduating Animals

I had once concluded it to be natural that when confronted by a new idea humans tended to do a turtle; withdraw into their shell until the coast was clear.

After some time posting in cyberspace I have modified my view somewhat. I think that we tend to display two types of turtle responses to our encounter with new ideas.

The terrapin withdraws quickly into its shell and the snapping turtle hisses, spits, and snaps when such an encounter happens. I suspect that cyberspace has allowed many people to display a more vulgar attitude than they would in face-to-face encounters.

I think that age is a factor in this equation. The young tend to be snappers and the older tend to be terrapins. I think that our teachers and professors have imprinted on the minds of their pupils that there is a legitimacy aspect to knowledge. That knowledge introduced by the teacher is legit and the rest should be avoided when possible.

Instead of graduates eager to learn and to earn we have constructed an educational system that qualifies citizens for a life of mindless production and consumption. Instead of turtles we need cats as a model for schooling.

A cat travels through the forest alert and curious to all that is in her range of perception. Instead of withdrawing into a shell the cat stealthily examines everything in its path. After a quick examination the cat very well may dart away for cover. The cat is, I think, more likely to survive in a dynamic and dangerous world than is the turtle.

Everyone is ignorant of 99.9999…% of the knowledge in the world. Understanding this fact I think is the first step toward setting each one of us free from any embarrassment we might feel about our ignorance. We should use our ignorance as a catalyst for discovering the joy of learning to understand what ever portion of the world's knowledge that interests us.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 536 • Replies: 7
No top replies

yitwail

Reply Tue 30 May, 2006 08:20 am
i resent your disparagement of turtles, but i won't snap. Mr. Green at least you avoided the tired metaphor of sheep to describe the masses. i'd also point out that educators don't have a monopoly on authority status. Fox News and the Bible fulfill the same function for many, for example, so you may need other animals to represent their followers.
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Tue 30 May, 2006 01:02 pm
Re: Our Schools & Colleges are Graduating Animals
coberst wrote:
The cat is, I think, more likely to survive in a dynamic and dangerous world than is the turtle.

Interestingly, the average lifespan of a terrapin is about 20 times greater than that of a feral cat and about 2 times greater than that of a house cat. For the snapping turtle, average lifespan is almost 30 times greater than a feral cat's and somewhere between 2 and 3 times greater than a house cat's.
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Tue 30 May, 2006 11:24 pm
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Wed 31 May, 2006 12:08 am
kuvasz wrote:
btw: its turtles, all the way down.

i'm down with that. Laughing

(btw: i know the tale of the astronomer & the woman who believed that the world rests on the back of a turtle)
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Fri 2 Jun, 2006 10:32 am
I posted a thread in the General forum that resonates a bit with this one:

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=2072625#2072625
0 Replies

coberst

Reply Fri 2 Jun, 2006 12:56 pm
Shapeless wrote:
I posted a thread in the General forum that resonates a bit with this one:

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=2072625#2072625

I think your article was right on the money. I wonder if we could say exactly the same thing about face-to-face discourse.

I have sometimes wondered if the Internet forum reader could be enlightened by a simulated dialogue. I mean that two or more individuals would construct a dialogue that would appear to be an actual encounter that would entice the passers by to join in but the dialogue would be ultimately controlled by the two originators. The object being to create an enlightening dialogue on a forum.

What is your opinion?
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Sat 3 Jun, 2006 07:00 am
Something approximating that often happens on blog sites--several interesting ones pertaining to the arts can be found in places like

http://www.artsjournal.com/blogs

--so they're not really "forums" per se; they're more like private conversations that we get to overhear. I agree that the potential for "enlightenment" is higher here, if only because there's less name-calling you have to sift through in order to find the substantive content. Whether full-fledged "open-access" forums can ever emulate this format, I just don't know. I'd like to think it's possible, but I have my doubts.
0 Replies