wolf

lilac

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 01:51 am
In the past ,wolves were expressed very bad .but i am interested in them.
recently ,i heard a system refer to wolf .so i want to know more about them.could you tell me more about them? thanks Confused

EDIT (Moderator): Moved to Wilderness, Wildlife & Ecology from English
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 938 • Replies: 11
No top replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 11:33 am
Wolves and dogs share a common ancestor, the progenitor of all modern canids, hesperocyonines, which looked similar to a cross between a weasel and a fox, and evolved in North America around 40 million years ago. Hesperocyonines went extinct about 15 million years ago, leaving 2 offshoots, one of which survives as the family Canidae. About 35 million years ago another dead end, the hyena-like borophagines evolved, going extinct about 2.5 million years ago. The other offshoot, canids, includes all extinct and existing species of canid, including the domestic dog. Having evolved in North America, canids crossed a land bridge to Asia about 7 million years ago, and within a million years or so had made into and throughout Europe and the African continent. DNA analysis indicates dogs evolved from wolves about 130,000 years ago, and that the sub-species peculiar to Australia are descended from African ancestors.

I've got some experience with wolves and wolf-dog hybrids; starting about the second page of this topic, I get into a related discussion with somebody who was considering getting one. I hope that individual thought better of that plan.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 12:19 pm
Lately wolves and werewolves have become very popular characters in fantasy and horror books.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 12:20 pm
If you find yourself being attacked by a wolf don't run. They will catch you. Fall to the ground and assume the sunmissive position with arms and legs slightly outstretched. This indicates they are in control. When they realize you are not their usual prey they will usually leave you alone. Usually.
0 Replies

CowDoc

Reply Sat 27 May, 2006 05:37 pm
Right, Nick. And there is absolutely no one out there who can tell you whether that strategy works. I don't recall any interviews with anyone who actually survived a wolf attack.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 27 May, 2006 06:03 pm
Agreed, CowDoc (and good to see you again - hope all's well in Idaho - you're still there, right?) - Nick's suggestion is not a strategy I'd employ ... but then, what do I know Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Sat 27 May, 2006 06:28 pm
I have seen wolves in the wild. So far they've just ignored me.
0 Replies

Tico

Reply Sat 27 May, 2006 09:13 pm
Quote:

from avoiding wolf attacks

lilac, I don't know how it stands up to the test of time, but you could always read Farley Mowat's book Never Cry Wolf
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Mon 29 May, 2006 05:31 pm
I was once attacked by a growling doberman. I fell to the ground as I suggested and he let me be. Even became friendly.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Mon 29 May, 2006 05:40 pm
I have not had any experience with wolves but have had some experience with the local coyotes (Connecticut). If I remain motionless they either ignore me or act amused (maybe its just me).
0 Replies

lilac

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 02:17 am
thanks
thanks all of you telling me so many things about wolves. Laughing
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 02:28 pm
Lilac--

You're welcome. Were you particularly interested in wolves or were you working on a class assignment?
0 Replies