cjhsa

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 08:59 am
Maybe the whales there have bad gas?

http://humorix.nu/bilder/whale.jpg
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 11:15 am
cjhsa wrote:
Still, I think the methane bubble theory holds a lot more credibility than anything else being put forth.

Such as the natural effects of foul weather and human error? What evidence do you have which would contradict a scientist employed by the U.S. Geologic Survey? You think the other idea is cooler?

You believe what you like--don't expect to be taken seriously, however.
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 11:51 am
What an interesting thread!

Thanks for all the great info, Setanta.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 12:00 pm
Spidey, if you ever wonder about things like this, go to a search engine and type in "skeptics." There are several organizations with the word skeptic in their title which devote considerable time and effort to debunking nonsense such as this.

Skeptic-dot-com is the granddaddy of them all, and has branches, at least, in every English-speaking country. They describe themselves thus:

the Skeptic-dot-com 'About us' link wrote:
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 12:13 pm
I sent my ex-wife a vacation package through the Bermuda Triangle. But she came back! How do you get it to work?
0 Replies

tin sword arthur

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 12:18 pm
NickFun wrote:
I sent my ex-wife a vacation package through the Bermuda Triangle. But she came back! How do you get it to work?

Keep sending her. Statistically, she is bound to disappear sooner or later. Be it in the triangle or on the trip to or from, it will happen. You just have to believe.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 12:39 pm
NickFun wrote:

Just buy a one way ticket next time.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 01:45 pm
Reminds me of an "old joke" of recent date. A man has problems with his wife, so he takes her to the doctor, who tells him she deither has Alsheimers or AIDS. The guy is pretty p.o.'d, and asks what the hell kind of a diagnosis that is. The doctor says: "Look drive her about 50 miles out into the country, and shove her out of the car. If she finds her way home, don't screw her."
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 10:13 pm
Methane comes from anaerobic bacteria feeding on sewage. The poop from the fishes and other sea life end up at the bottom of the sea bed. The high pressure and cold temperature locks up the methane formed. But once in a while methane cloud bubbles up and all shiiping goes down as their bouyancy disappears. Ships do not float in a mixture of water and bubbles of methane gas.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 26 May, 2006 06:23 am
Of course, if you had read and understood the statement from the gentleman at the U.S. Geologic Survey, you'd know that this has not happened at any time in the last 15,000 years. I provided a link, it is a simple matter to read his comments.
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Fri 26 May, 2006 06:29 am
Setanta wrote:
When one considers the crop circle hysteria, one is lead to believe that the Sassanach (that's the English, for those who are challenged by Celtic terms), are just as given to goofy conspiracy theories.

Yup, you're right. A recent study shows that almost half of all British people believe in the paranormal.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/34823.stm

Rolling Eyes

No wonder people act all mystified when I tell them I graduated from science courses.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 26 May, 2006 06:41 am
There was an excellent, and in many parts, hilarious, documentary done by one of the English television companies (ITV?) about crop circles. It had two points to make. One was to show the two gentlemen who began the phenomenon, and their method; the second was to show the hype and hysteria which has gathered around crop circles.

From the Wikipedia article:

Quote:
Crop circles are areas of cereal or similar crops that have been systematically flattened to form various geometric patterns. The phenomenon itself only entered the public imagination in its current form after the notable appearances in England in the late 1970s. Various scientific and pseudo-scientific explanations were put forward to explain the phenomenon, which soon spread around the world. In 1991, more than a decade after the phenomena began, two men, Doug Bower and Dave Chorley, revealed that they had been making crop circles in England since 1978 using planks, rope, hats and wire as their only tools. Many other people around the world are also openly making crop circles, notably Circlemakers.org. Although the commonly accepted view today is that crop circles are a man-made phenomenon, paranormal explanations, often including UFOs, are still popular.

The program i saw included detailed footage of Mr. Bower and Mr. Chorley making a crop circle, revealing the clever method by which they entered a field without leaving footprints. They would take a collapsible painters' scaffold, and "flip" it out into the field. Crawling along the top of the scaffold, they would erect another, and by that means, reach the center of the field without leaving footprints. The small circular depressions left by the "feet" of the scaffold went unnoticed.

They then investigated the hype which has arisen around crop circles. They went to Stonehenge on midsummer day, and showed the video of the two gentlemen making a crop circle to the "new age" types there. Nonplussed at first, these jokers then insisted that what they had seen does not account for all crop circles. Eventually, they became disgusted and angry, and would no longer speak to the interviewer who was showing the video of the creation of crop circles.

No one will ever go broke banking on the credulity of the general population. People who write books about UFOs, crop circles, the "Devil's triangle" will always make a good living selling their hogwash to the credulous.
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Fri 26 May, 2006 07:40 am
Indeed, I must admit to being slightly fooled by the Da Vinci Code, until I properly read that page entitled FACT.
0 Replies

tin sword arthur

Reply Fri 26 May, 2006 07:41 am
Wolf_ODonnell wrote:
Indeed, I must admit to being slightly fooled by the Da Vinci Code, until I properly read that page entitled FACT.

From what I see and hear on the news, you're one of the few.
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Fri 26 May, 2006 07:44 am
tin_sword_arthur wrote:
Wolf_ODonnell wrote:

From what I see and hear on the news, you're one of the few.

The few what?
0 Replies

tin sword arthur

Reply Fri 26 May, 2006 07:45 am
That took the time to read the FACT page. For some reason, a lot of people seemed to have skipped that page and went right to the meat of the book. It could have cleaned up a little of this mess if more people had taken the time to read that page.
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Fri 26 May, 2006 07:50 am
tin_sword_arthur wrote:
That took the time to read the FACT page. For some reason, a lot of people seemed to have skipped that page and went right to the meat of the book. It could have cleaned up a little of this mess if more people had taken the time to read that page.

Actually, I think a lot of the skim through that page like I did. Otherwise they'd have never come to the conclusion that any of the stuff mentioned within was real.

It also helped that I watched a documentary on the book where Dan Brown got his ideas.

The actual painting was by some artist whose name I can't remember. The clue was apparently some pentagram an art professor saw hidden within the painting. The only problem being that the very top of the pentagram he traced over the picture with his finger didn't even appear within the actual picture itself.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Fri 26 May, 2006 07:51 am
A lot of people on a2k also believe in the paranormal. Check out http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=26144&highlight=
0 Replies

tin sword arthur

Reply Fri 26 May, 2006 07:55 am
Wolf_ODonnell wrote:
Actually, I think a lot of the skim through that page like I did. Otherwise they'd have never come to the conclusion that any of the stuff mentioned within was real.

It also helped that I watched a documentary on the book where Dan Brown got his ideas.

The actual painting was by some artist whose name I can't remember. The clue was apparently some pentagram an art professor saw hidden within the painting. The only problem being that the very top of the pentagram he traced over the picture with his finger didn't even appear within the actual picture itself.

Really? What I took out of reading that page was "Don't take this seriously, sure I based some things on reality but this is just a book." But I came into it after the controversy had already started, so maybe I read into something that wasn't there.
I'll have to re-read that page when I get home from work and try to look at it with as fresh an outlook as I can and see what it says to me.
0 Replies