Know something about Bermuda Triangle?

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 01:26 am
Know something about Bermuda Triangle?I am a girl who is quite interested in Bermuda,how could the planes and boats disappear in a moment and would not emergence again?even nobody can find the wreckage?What do you think about it?tell me please,I will be happy to receive your restores,Thanks a lot
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,690 • Replies: 38
No top replies

material girl

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 02:03 am
I dont know about the planes but I saw a programme that suggested that ships dissapeared beacuse the sea water mixed with gas from the seabed, this causes any water to lose bouencey, therefore the ships sank.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 05:01 am
There is absolutely no reason to assume that such a thing exists. In fact, the air and sea lanes east of Florida to Bermuda are some of the busiest in the world, and the rate at which accidents occur, despite Atlantic hurricanes, is one of the lowest in the world.

Bermuda triangle? There ain't no such thing . . .

I suggest you read this page at Skeptics-dot-com.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 05:05 am
Let's talk about real things:

http://vancouvermassage.ca/images/bermuda-triangle.jpg
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 05:11 am
Penthouse: The Wardens - The secrets of the Bermuda vagina. (Good read).
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 07:00 am
Actually the "Bermuda Triangle" does exist and has claimed an inordinate number of ships and aircraft.

One theory that carries weight for me is the "methane bubble". If giant amounts of methane are released from the seabed as a bubble, they can easily capsize ships. Methane clouds rising into the atmosphere will confuse plane's altimeters, causing them to fly into the ground if they cannot see due to darkness or cloudcover.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 07:06 am
Bermuda Triangle, it makes people dissapear.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 07:17 am
There is absolutely no basis for the statements made in the last two posts.

The United States Geologic Survey wrote:
4. Did gas release related to hydrate breakdown result in sinking of ships off the southeastern United States?

No, I don't think so. Evidence suggests that the collapse and abrupt release of gas related to hydrate breakdown probably occurred at the end of the glacial episode when ocean water was tied up in great continental ice sheets and, thus, sea level was lowered. The lower sealevel caused the pressure on the gas hydrate at the sea floor to be reduced, which would cause hydrate breakdown and gas release. This happened about 15,000 years ago or more, when the more technically advanced men's ships were probably nothing more than hollow logs.

5. Is there a mystery regarding sinking of ships in the Bermuda Triangle?

No. I was involved in a television program called "The Bermuda Triangle" that was shown in Britain in about 1992 on Channel 4, the Equinox Programme and that was produced by John Simmons of Geofilms. At that time the producers checked with Lloyds of London to learn whether an unusually large number of ships had sunk in the triangle. They determined that large numbers of ships had not sunk there.

The mystery of the Bermuda Triangle is a fairy tale. Sorry.

Bill Dillon
Geologist, USGS

Lloyds of London makes its money by insuring ships and aircraft. You can take their records to the bank, literally, on the risk of sailing of flying in any waters or airspace in the world.

The "Bermuda Triangle" page at the USGS Woods Hole Science Center.
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 07:21 am
Why are baseless myths so popular? The Bermuda Triangle exists, yes. As a sinker of ships and aircraft, though? Nah, not likely. If so, don't you think it would be on the news more often?

Unless of course there's some conspiracy going on and Lord knows, you Americans love your conspiracy theories.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 07:22 am
When one considers the crop circle hysteria, one is lead to believe that the Sassanach (that's the English, for those who are challenged by Celtic terms), are just as given to goofy conspiracy theories.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 07:27 am
Setanta wrote:
When one considers the crop circle hysteria, one is lead to believe that the Sassanach (that's the English, for those who are challenged by Celtic terms), are just as given to goofy conspiracy theories.

We are starved of entertainment, we have Big Brother which is enjoyed by millions(not me I must add)so you can see our level of intelligence.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 07:28 am
My suggestion is that it is no better, and no worse, than one would find in the general population of any other nation.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 07:39 am
I guessing not a lot of folks here watch the Discovery Channel.

They just aired a very interesting segment on giant methane bubbles.
0 Replies

tin sword arthur

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 07:43 am
And about Flight 19 going down in the triangle, and the theories behind that.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 07:48 am
I will take the word of the United States Geological Survey over the Discovery Channel any day of the week. You see, i've watched the Discovery Channel, and i therefore know they will broadcast any tripe which they are convinced will attract a large audience for their advertisers. The employees of the United States Geological Survey, however, must be able to do reputable science, or they won't keep their jobs.

Flight 19's fate was lamentable, but understandable without reference to spooky superstition. One can read all about at The United States Navy's Naval Historical Center page on Flight 19.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 07:52 am
By the way, these are the specs for a TBM Avenger:

SPECIFICATION AND PRODUCTION INFORMATION

ENGINE: Wright R-2600 Cyclone 1,900 h.p.
ARMAMENT: 3 -.50 cal. machine guns & up to 2,000 lbs. of ordnance
WING SPAN: 54 feet, 2 inches
LENGTH: 40 feet, 9 inches
HEIGHT: 13 feet, 9 inches
MAX. TAKEOFF WEIGHT: 16,412 lbs.
CREW: 3
MANUFACTURED BY: Eastern Aircraft
TOTAL TBF/TBMs BUILT: 9,839
TOTAL IN EXISTENCE TODAY: 145
FIRST TBF/TBM BUILT: 1941
MUSEUM'S TBM-3E BUILT: 1944
MAXIMUM SPEED: 276 mph
RANGE: 1,130 miles
SERVICE CEILING: 23,400 feet
Bureau No. 86280

With a maximum take-off weight of eight tons, ask yourself just how long that aircraft will take to sink, if it hits the water. I believe the answer is less than 30 seconds, but i've not yet found a source for that.
0 Replies

tin sword arthur

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 07:58 am
Actually, the Discover Channel presented the Flight 19 mystery in a purely logical light, with no superstitious overtones, other than those already associated with the triangle. They were discussing the possibility that it was all pilot error and vertigo that caused them to fly until they ran out of fuel and went down.
I'll check out that link you provided, Set.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 08:03 am
From the Wikipedia article on "the Bermuda Triangle":

Quote:
The marine insurer Lloyd's of London has determined the "triangle" to be no more dangerous than any other area of ocean, and does not charge unusual rates for passage through the region. Coast Guard records confirm their conclusion.

Skeptics comment that the disappearance of a train between two stops would be more convincing evidence of paranormal activity, and the fact that such things do not occur suggests that paranormal explanations are not needed for the disappearance of ships and airplanes in the far less predictable open ocean.

Once again, Lloyd's of London makes a profit insuring ships, and they don't charge higher rates for ships which sail in those waters. The United States Coast Guard is charged with rescuing mariners who are shipwrecked, and they don't buy this story either. I'll trust people who make a living in these matters over television broadcasters who make a living by broadcasting sensational (and unfounded) stories.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 08:06 am
tin_sword_arthur wrote:
Actually, the Discover Channel presented the Flight 19 mystery in a purely logical light, with no superstitious overtones, other than those already associated with the triangle. They were discussing the possibility that it was all pilot error and vertigo that caused them to fly until they ran out of fuel and went down.
I'll check out that link you provided, Set.

It that were so, i'm pleasantly surprised, as i've seen an awful lot of crap broadcast by the Discovery Channel, the History Channel and the Learning Channel. At all events, one need only ask oneself what happens when eight tons of World War II vintage aircraft, described by its pilots as "flying like a truck" has to ditch in rough weather, beyond the continental shelf. Personally, i'd rate the odds of finding any trace of them very low, without reference to spooky music and superstition.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 08:37 am
I saw a flying saucer once.

Go ahead and pin the tin foil hat on me, but I know what I saw.

Still, I think the methane bubble theory holds a lot more credibility than anything else being put forth.
0 Replies