What's the worst gift you've ever gotten?

tin sword arthur

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 03:04 pm
Could you actually hear the steady "beep"ing as she tried to back that truck up? You should write a book about that scenario called "How Not To Backpedal".
And I'm sorry your mother didn't appreciate a gift you obviously put a lot of thought, not to mention money, into.
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 03:05 pm
I was SO tempted to take it back (since she was so eager to get rid of it) but I couldn't bring myself to stick in the knife and the others witnessing this were too scared to open their mouths. You could have cut the tension with a knife!

I laughed about it then and she warily joked about it but now I am thinking of telling her what gift to give ME this Christmas. I want it back now. It's actually quite pretty and I would wear it myself, even though I'm not all that religious (she is).
0 Replies

George

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 03:09 pm
My all-time favorite:
hand-knitted Christmas doorknob covers.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 03:32 pm
Oh George, you lucky bum! I'd like someone to knit me dining chair leg slippers so they don't scratch my floor.... hint...hint...
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 03:50 pm
An ugly big-ass Jim Beam t-shirt and a pack of red Marlboros (which i don't smoke). From a boyfriend that instantly became an ex-boyfriend.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 04:35 pm
interesting gifts, dag! weird.
0 Replies

tin sword arthur

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 04:38 pm
dagmaraka wrote:
An ugly big-ass Jim Beam t-shirt and a pack of red Marlboros (which i don't smoke). From a boyfriend that instantly became an ex-boyfriend.

Was it a shirt he'd already worn and a pack with only 10 cigarettes in it? That would just be some extra icing on that cake.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 04:41 pm
no. but the bad part is that my dad, who will notoriously wear whatever is around without a care in the world, got hold of the t shirt. still wears it, yeeeeaaaaars later. he's a professor, mind you, running around in my old high school t-shirts. "Psycho", "Nirvana tour", etc.... lovely. pair that with shorts and sandals with socks....
0 Replies

tin sword arthur

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 04:46 pm
I take it this is a household you don't bring too many guests to. :wink:
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 04:48 pm
nah, we do. we embrace his dressing style with good humor. when we can, we supervise him. sometimes he escapes, though.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 04:49 pm
my personal favorite is a "Wild Turkey" t-shirt. i got him that, it came with a whiskey... he sure looks like one too (wild turkey, not whiskey).
0 Replies

tin sword arthur

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 04:52 pm
I'll bet his students get a kick out of that. Provided they've ever seen him dressed like that, that is.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 04:57 pm
most exams in slovakia are oral exams. they have to face him one on one in his ridiculous outfits! Very Happy
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 05:04 pm
Aww, Heeven.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 07:39 pm
You don't win the award for worst gift-giver, Heeven. She wins the award for worst recipient. Yeah, get the cross back. Evil or Very Mad

The worst gift I ever received was also a wedding present. We have these friends who really, honestly, have no taste. Nice folks, just...no taste. They got us a glass candleholder...it was smoked glass and curvy-blob-shaped like something from the inside of a lava lamp. Very '70s. To make matters worse, they had engraved our names and the date of our wedding on it. In Old English.

They probably spent a fortune on it. It was a novelty item made by a very famous company (Wedgwood? Something of that caliber.)

We couldn't get $2 for it at our first garage sale.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 07:46 pm
LMAO!!!!! Eva! You're scandalous! Laughing, bent over at the waist!
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 07:46 pm
P.S. You're absolutely right about Heeven.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 08:25 pm
eoe wrote:
A pair of knitted leg warmers with ruffles at the hem. Hideous. I didn't know what they were and put them on my arms instead.

What hurt even more, and truly makes it the worst gift I've ever received, was that it came from my brother and his wife, at a time when I wasn't doing so well financially and did not buy Christmas gifts for the family. If it mattered so much that I was not in a position to return the gesture, it would have been better, IMO, if they hadn't given me anything at all. Instead they give me a piece of **** that someone had obviously given the wife, which she didn't want. And who would want such an ugly gift? It was like a punch in the mouth.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 10:07 pm
That's really sad, eoe, and NOT something you'd forget later. I'm very sorry that happened to you.

How hard is it to just give from the heart? ai ai ai

Apparently it's quite difficult for some. Not on the same page, that's for sure.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 26 May, 2006 06:41 am
Thanks for the sentiment, Mame. I've tried now, for years, to forget that gift but I've never been able to, and that was close to twenty years ago. Some of you know that I have three brothers and that I disowned one of them some years ago. Guess which one? :wink:

But...this is all sad and sorrowful. Let's have fun instead! Carry on...
0 Replies