How do I get rid of this f*cking echo on my cell phone?

Reply Tue 23 May, 2006 05:49 pm
So I'm trying to decide whether I should just get rid of my landline completely, and just go with the cell phone. The only problem I have with my cell phone is that when I talk, sometimes I'll hear an echo in the line and think that the other person is talking.

Is this just because the phone is so small? The ear piece is too close to the mouth piece so that it is picking that up too? Are there cell phones that don't do this?

Anyone got any info on this annoying phenom?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 7 • Views: 73,535 • Replies: 30
No top replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Tue 23 May, 2006 05:50 pm
That happens to me occasionally. It's so f'n annoying, if it happens sometimes I'll just tell the person I have to hang up and call them right back. I don't know what cauese it. Doesn't happen often.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 23 May, 2006 05:53 pm
Cell phones drive me nuts (at the same time I'm now adamant about having one.) Still have land line too, and dsl via that. One of these days, one of them has to go...
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 23 May, 2006 05:54 pm
Gee I gee wish I could wish help I you could with help this.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 23 May, 2006 06:10 pm
Mine does this when the battery is low + and im dont have a good connection to begin with.

my echo is my own voice and it throws me for a loop..
hate it
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Tue 23 May, 2006 06:21 pm
...VOICE ECHO...

kicky : the above may provide some answers for you .
we sometimes have that problem when we are phoning overseas using a cheap phonecard - rather than the pretty expensive regular bell-connection . i suspect the problem may have a similar origin - but i don't think we are going back to bell for overseas calls - germany is less than 5c a minute using the phone card .
hbg
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 23 May, 2006 06:34 pm
Since they're anticipating more blackouts for this summer, I'm keeping my landline (and most basic phone). It was the only way to communicate during the last blackout.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 23 May, 2006 07:20 pm
Hamburger, YEAH! That article is talking about exactly what I'm talking about.

When echo cancellers don't work right they produce a variety of unwanted side effects. The most obvious is that you hear your own voice echoed with a 1/4 second of delay. Depending upon the volume of the echoed sound, this can range from mildly annoying to downright disruptive. A more common symptom however is that the canceller does its job, but it does it too well (so to speak). In other words, it cancels your voice AND it cancels part of the voice of your caller. In this situation you'll find that talking over your caller will obliterate them, or that taking a call in a noisy environment can sometimes cause continuous damage to the audio that simply makes it sound distorted.

YES! That bolded part happens to me too! I just skimmed through the article, but I guess I have to delve a little deeper. Or maybe I just have to deal with the fact that cell phone technology blows at the present time, and keep my landline for now. Poop.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 23 May, 2006 07:43 pm
So tell me...

...you got nothing fukin' better to do than post this shyt?????

No wonder your right fist is so calloused!
kickycan

Reply Tue 23 May, 2006 07:54 pm
Hey, I had a question, so I asked. Isn't this still able2KNOW?
shewolfnm

Reply Tue 23 May, 2006 08:14 pm
<groan>
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 23 May, 2006 08:16 pm
<grunt>
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 23 May, 2006 08:17 pm
<snort>
0 Replies

Michael S

Reply Wed 24 May, 2006 03:09 am
Your f*cking echo is "Sidetone" . It works well on landlines and is standardized and indeed a requirement for any manufacturer selling landline phones in the States (and any other country, although the frequency responses are different). Basically the amount of auditory feedback from the mic to the earpeice.

It seems for mobiles a lot of people hate it, it doesn't work well, perhaps not standardized and unless your phone has a way to adjust sidetone, you would need to get another cell phone, this time one without sidetone.

You can google it, there are many discussions on the subject.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 24 May, 2006 03:41 am
Yo...echo...

...I'm gonna be in town this afternoon. I'll give ya a call. If you can stop by the Pan for a brewski, I'll see ya.

If not...I'll have to deal with the women on my own.

Twisted Evil
0 Replies

VulchNasty

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2009 10:36 pm
@Frank Apisa,
coming from a jerk off like you that sounds funny!!!
0 Replies

VulchNasty

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2009 10:38 pm
@kickycan,
I heard the echo can come from your cell phone being tapped by the fuzz. Watch out!!!
4misst

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2009 05:39 pm
This happens to me on my Virgin Mobile and my Cricket phone at different times of the day or night, sometimes I can hang up and it will clear it and sometimes it won’t. Is it possible that a CB or something like it could cross paths and hear your conversation?
0 Replies

grilll6

Reply Sat 17 Oct, 2009 07:13 pm
@VulchNasty,
u r right, that what it is. the gov is tapping the cell line and u will get feed back from this. this is a fact so watch out
roger

Reply Sat 17 Oct, 2009 07:19 pm
@grilll6,
Do you hear an echo when someone tunes into the radio station you are listening to?