a rationalist?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,012 • Replies: 15
No top replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 23 May, 2006 08:00 am
David Hume is usually referred to as an empiricist, although the label is unimportant.

Homework assignment or just curious?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 23 May, 2006 08:11 am
He was an ugly,fat Scottish git who analysed economics and history before electricity distribution was perfected and is thus passe to all intents and purposes. He is often used as a status symbol by pseudo-intellectuals or by politicians to justify some dynamic new policy initiative they think will promote their career.

Chances are that his philosophical outlook was based on exploiting the working classes until the pips squeak except on Christmas Day when he might have given his servants an apple each from the storerooms they took care of.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 23 May, 2006 08:18 am
There's that annoying buzzing sound again.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 23 May, 2006 09:42 am
What a little girl response that is.

No attempt to meet the challenge.

What's Hume's relevance today then Joe except to those who have studied his works and want to ram them down everybody's throat.

Quote-"Methinks that I am like a man, who having struck on many shoals, and having narrowly escap'd ship-wreck in passing a small firth, has yet the temerity to put to sea in the same leaky weather-beaten vessel, and even carries his ambition so far as to thi nk of compassing the globe under this disadvantageous circumstances...Fain wou'd I run into the crowd for shelter and warmth; but cannot prevail with myself to mix with such deformity. I call upon others to join me, in order to make a company apart, but no one will harken to me. Everyone keeps a distance, and dreads that storm that beats upon me from every side. I have expos'd myself to the enmity of all metaphysicians, logicians, mathematicians, and even theologians; and can I wonder at the insults I must suffer?... Can I be sure that in leaving all establish'd opinions I am following the truth?"

Looks like he hated his fellow man from that. Bit of a snob. Not much use in the pub.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 23 May, 2006 09:56 am
There it is again. That buzzing noise.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 23 May, 2006 10:09 am
Just wanted to see you pirouette again Joe.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Tue 23 May, 2006 10:50 am
he might have been a deist, TPQ, although he denied it publicly.

here's a bit more context to Spendius' quote:

Quote:
I am first affrighted and confounded with that forelorn solitude, in which I am placed in my philosophy, and fancy myself some strange uncouth monster, who not being able to mingle and unite in society, has been expelled all human commerce, and left utterly abandoned and disconsolate. Fain would I run into the crowd for shelter and warmth; but cannot prevail with myself to mix with such deformity.

from this it seems possible to me that deformity refers to himself rather than to the figurative crowd.
0 Replies

nick17

Reply Tue 23 May, 2006 12:37 pm
PQ this thing wont let me send PMs but yeah i am doing a level. And i think he is an empiricist.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 24 May, 2006 06:22 am
It's only a label.

According to Braudel, who is well worth reading. Hume opposed paper money and bills of lading and such like and wished to continue the reliance on coin,which had presumably served his Presbyterian family well.

He was therefore in favour of mud huts and bread and water diets for the peasants and probably public floggings for scowling.

What he would have made of the modern financial system cannot be imagined but if it all collapses in a smoking ruin one day he would have taken great pleasure in saying "I told you".

From an economic point of view he's a fossil.
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Wed 24 May, 2006 07:37 am
why i wanted to know is because:
he says he is an empiricist, yet he says that there can always be exeptions.
he uses reason to argue, yet says reason is 'a habbit rather than an external tool for measuring good'

maybe he was just a hippocrite.

what board are you doing nick?
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Wed 24 May, 2006 07:46 am
i suppose he's a hypocirte if you disagree with him. you could also claim that he was being practical, by not making assertions that would violate common sense.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 24 May, 2006 08:14 am
The Pentacle Queen wrote:
why i wanted to know is because:
he says he is an empiricist, yet he says that there can always be exeptions.
he uses reason to argue, yet says reason is 'a habbit rather than an external tool for measuring good'

maybe he was just a hippocrite.

It's possible to be inconsistent without also being a hypocrite. Hume's empiricism led him into a number of inconsistencies (in particular, with regard to cause and effect) that he never adequately resolved. That doesn't mean, however, that he was a hypocrite.
0 Replies

nick17

Reply Wed 24 May, 2006 09:57 am
I'm doing aqa if thats what you mean, i think it is.
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 05:02 am
yes i am too!!!!!!!!
one more month and then we shall be free forever! hurrah!

yes. i also think it makes sense not to lay down 'absolute rules' and acept they could can be broken.
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Sat 27 May, 2006 02:14 am
It is possible to lay down consistent rules by putting down context or exceptions, etc.

"I shall only eat this cake after 2:00 o'clock except if I have to eat it before then to save lives" Smile
0 Replies