Paramedics pedal to the rescue (Manchester, UK)

Reply Mon 22 May, 2006 12:48 am
Quote:
Paramedics pedal to the rescue

By Brian Lashley

Pedal-powered paramedics rode into emergency action just a day after hitting the streets of Manchester city centre.

The quick response team was on scene within a minute after a 999 call when a tram hit an elderly pedestrian in Market Street on Saturday.

The 81-year-old man suffered minor injuries ans was taken later to hospital for treatment. Two paramedics on the highly-equipped mountain bikes raced to the scene to treat him.

Bosses at Greater Manchester Ambulance Service launched the emergency bikes on Friday to improve response times in the city centre pedestrian areas.

A spokeswoman said its ambulances aim to respond to a life-threatening emergency call within eight minutes.

But she added: "It's going to be quicker for a push bike to get to pedestrian areas before an ambulance, especially on a busy Saturday afternoon when the city centre is very crowded.

"The paramedics on cycles have already proved what a critical role they will play within the city centre.

"GMAS is positive the cycles will continue to have impact on the city centre of Manchester as we strive to provide the quickest and highest standard of emergency care possible."

A spokesman for the Greater Manchester Police said inquiries are continuing into how the accident happened.

Two paramedics will be stationed around the city centre during the six-month trial. They will be able to beat rush-hour jams to provide immediate care until ambulances arrive to take patients to hospital emergency departments.

The bikes, which carry all the medical equipment and pain relief needed for first emergency response have already proved successful in London. York and Leeds.

http://i4.tinypic.com/10e2c21.jpg http://i4.tinypic.com/10e2bzo.jpg

source: Manchester Evening News, Monday May 22, 2006 (first edition, print version), page 13
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 345 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Mon 22 May, 2006 01:03 am
I've seen these para-bikes in London, Walter. What a brilliant idea, considering that the average rush hour speed for a car is about 10mph in and around the city.

MARVELLOUS!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 22 May, 2006 01:12 am
I do like that, too. (As well as policemen on bikes - saw such very effective in Paris twice.)
0 Replies