God’s Organ Donors?

Chumly

Reply Sun 21 May, 2006 08:45 pm
What does God tell you about Organ Donation?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,436 • Replies: 20
No top replies

husker

Reply Sun 21 May, 2006 08:57 pm
which God?

I think he only cares about Souls :wink:
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 21 May, 2006 09:06 pm
Well it seems to me you are interfering with God's plan, because part of you is not dying. So does part of your soul, then live on in another? It would seem reasonable I think. I mean, if you lose a leg, is your soul diminished accordingly? Or if you gain a liver do you get a leg up on your soul?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 21 May, 2006 11:27 pm
If you lose a foot, you will have one less sole.

I think your question is dorky, Chum. What's up?
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 21 May, 2006 11:37 pm
In Canada when you get your license renewal in the mail (car or motorcycle) you get an application form to become an organ donor. Naturally as a man of action I ride a motorcycle and am thus in a high risk category. http://www.bcsportbikes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68976
Note: I did not start the bcsportbikes.com thread nor post to it, but I do ride with a few of them from time to time.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 22 May, 2006 04:52 am
you know what?

when neo's avatar is above chumley's it looks like the lightning is hitting him!

How many points to I get for that?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 22 May, 2006 06:27 am
Chai Tea wrote:
you know what?

when neo's avatar is above chumley's it looks like the lightning is hitting him!

How many points to I get for that?
I would never hurt my pal chumley
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 22 May, 2006 07:08 am
It all depends on where one keeps one's soul. Mine's pickled in a jar, so I don't worry about it contaminating someone else if my organs are donated.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 22 May, 2006 08:49 am
Most religions endorse organ donation or leave it up to the individual - even Christian Scientist don't discourage donation.

I think the only religion that discourages it (but does not forbid it) is Shinto.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 22 May, 2006 09:19 am
Here's a site mentioning some religions and their views.

Besides Shinto, the only other group opposed are Gypsies, and they are not a formalized religion, it says.

TRANSPLANT
0 Replies

nick17

Reply Mon 22 May, 2006 09:59 am
I think that if you can give something of yours, to help someone who is in need; then God is in favour of that.

"Which when Jesus had heard, he said to him: Yet one thing is wanting to thee. Sell all whatever thou hast and give to the poor: and thou shalt have treasure in heaven." -- Luke 18:22

I think it comes under this. Also "greater love has no man..." would cover it.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Mon 22 May, 2006 11:40 am
Then why isn't my sperm my own to give, or a womans's eggs her own to give, in the aid of all of mankind, in the eyes of many religionists?
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 22 May, 2006 12:02 pm
Chumly wrote:
Then why isn't my sperm my own to give, or a womans's eggs her own to give, in the aid of all of mankind, in the eyes of many religionists?

Do you mean just the sperm alone, and just the eggs alone?
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 22 May, 2006 12:22 pm
Chumly wrote:

If you have been "donating" your sperm indiscriminately around the neighborhood, you may want to reconsider your choice of hobbies.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Mon 22 May, 2006 02:12 pm
Chai Tea wrote:
Chumly wrote:
Do you mean just the sperm alone, and just the eggs alone?
Why, would it matter? One needn't have the full sexual reproductive compliment of genetic material for cloning; nor in your own body as per your skin cells reproducing.
joefromchicago wrote:
If you have been "donating" your sperm indiscriminately around the neighborhood, you may want to reconsider your choice of hobbies.
Sadly, being a politically correct modern male, discrimination is no longer an acceptable modus operandi.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 22 May, 2006 02:27 pm
I asked a similar question once: Why can't people who create embryos donate them to science for stem cell research.

Nobody really came up with a reason why they shouldn't.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 22 May, 2006 02:37 pm
boomerang wrote:
I asked a similar question once: Why can't people who create embryos donate them to science for stem cell research.

Nobody really came up with a reason why they shouldn't.

Wouldn't that be looked at like ending a life?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 22 May, 2006 02:46 pm
Possibly.

But organs for transplant are harvested from living bodies. Once a donor is declared brain dead they keep the body "alive" until matches are made and trasportation can be arranged. Then they "kill" the body when they take out the organs.

The body can't live on its own.

Same with embroyos.

Really I think that what they implant (or throw down the drain) at fertility clinics are not even considered embryos yet.
0 Replies

raheel

Reply Tue 23 May, 2006 07:14 am
won't organ donation become unnecessary in the future when people will be able to grow their own organs via stem cells?
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Tue 23 May, 2006 07:29 am
raheel wrote:
won't organ donation become unnecessary in the future when people will be able to grow their own organs via stem cells?

It all depends on how efficiently and quickly one can grow an organ via stem cells.

The general consensus would be yes. Organs grown via stem cells would not have the immuno-rejection problems that donated organs have. The immune system would recognise such organs as being self and will not attack them, like they do with donated organs from someone else.

But if it's quicker to just use a donated organ, perhaps that would be used instead.
0 Replies