My Kind of Guy

husker

Reply Sat 10 May, 2003 09:45 pm
Christian prayer breakfast open to all
Faithful to focus on importance of God in the workplace

Virginia de Leon
Staff writer

In all his business ventures, Jeffrey Ng seeks advice from one source.

"God," said the vice president of Davenport Sun International, former owner of Spokane's Davenport Hotel. "I always pray and ask God to lead me."

His relationship with God doesn't end when he leaves church on Sunday, Ng said. It continues when he goes home, when he sleeps at night, when he walks in the office on Monday morning.

In recent months -- especially since the terrorism of Sept. 11 -- Ng and other local business people say they've been more open about issues of faith and religion.

Even in the workplace.

"You need God, especially at work," said Ng, a native of Malaysia. "You can't leave him outside the office door."

On Friday, business leaders like Ng will join pastors and others from throughout the community during the 42nd annual Leadership Prayer Breakfast.

The event will feature Bill and Judi Williams, founders of Telect. Along with their son, Wayne, who is now CEO, the couple will talk about how God has provided them with peace, purpose and guidance, especially during these tough economic times.

"I'm not ashamed of my faith, I won't put it aside," said Carrie Brown, a supervisor at Kelly Services and one of the organizers of the prayer breakfast. "It's about the relationship I have with Jesus."

As a pastor, Rodney McAuley has noticed a change in the culture -- how people are more open now to discuss diverse ideas, including religion. People used to believe that faith and God were taboo subjects, especially at work, but now, you'll hear more conversations about church and religion around the water cooler, he said.

"The openness to speak about God has increased," said McAuley, the pastor of Antioch Foursquare Church in Spokane.

People are willing to debate differences, he said, which has created an encouraging atmosphere. The post-Sept. 11 trauma, coupled with the war in Iraq, also has contributed to people's need to talk about spirituality, he said.

President Bush, who has been vocal about his own religious convictions, has set a tone for other leaders to "combine the secular with the sacred," McAuley said.

Although the annual prayer breakfast will delve into subjects other than religion, the thrust of the event's message is "to exalt the name of Jesus," organizers say. Most of the people attending the event will be Christians of various denominations, they said, but people of all faiths are invited.

Formerly known as the mayor's prayer breakfast, the annual event is a way to honor public officials -- regardless of their political affiliation or viewpoints.

"The Scriptures teach us to pray for and bless and honor those in authority," McAuley said.

Elected officials who make tough decisions every day need to receive support, Brown said.

Participants also will pray for the nation and the world. A portion of the program will honor Native Americans, "whose land we are on," McAuley said.

Although people can express their faith in the workplace, proselytizing is sometimes inappropriate, especially when it infringes on the rights of those holding other beliefs.

The 1997 guidelines on Freedom of Religious Expression in the Federal Workplace generally permit federal employees to discuss religious views with other employees, including proselytizing. They also can invite co-workers to religious services or observances, but the proselytizing shouldn't continue if a fellow employee demonstrates that such expression is unwelcome.

People can demonstrate "authentic Christianity" in the way they treat co-workers and conduct business, McAuley said.

It's about ethics and doing the right thing, Brown said. Having God in your life also allows you to accept the fact that you're not perfect and despite that, there is still forgiveness, she said.

When she's having a hard day or has a difficult decision on her hands, Brown turns to God by whispering a prayer, she said.

Since converting from Buddhism to Christianity in 1975, Ng has never shied away from sharing his faith, he said. People aren't always receptive about his openness, but that doesn't stop him from talking about Jesus at work, during his business trips overseas, and even during airplane rides.

"I am so dependent on God," Ng said. "He is so much a part of my life."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,168 • Replies: 8
No top replies

jackie

Reply Tue 13 May, 2003 02:52 pm
Mine too , husker-
Thanks for the inspiration.
0 Replies

babsatamelia

Reply Thu 22 May, 2003 04:01 pm
My job as a pharmacist, my work just HAD to be perfect!
Or I could do someone else grievous harm, so every
morning as I walked in through the doors, I breathed in
and out a little prayer to My Creator to please help me
be at my very best, whenever I need to be. I REALLY
did not ever want to do anyone any harm. The thought
of it disturbed me so very much. I can't prove the
existence of A Creator based on the fact that in my
years of practicing pharmacy I never caused anyone
harm. But it DID help me feel better and let go a bit
of the daily stress ... just thinking about relaxing and
letting go -- does wonders for the soul.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 22 May, 2003 04:37 pm
Re: My Kind of Guy
husker wrote:
Although people can express their faith in the workplace, proselytizing is sometimes inappropriate, especially when it infringes on the rights of those holding other beliefs....

Emphasis mine.

Isn't proselytizing at work always inappropriate? I'll even go you one further - I'd probably quit any job wherein someone felt they could engage in proselytizing, even if it wasn't directed at me, if the management didn't take steps to stop it. It would make me feel monumentally uncomfortable if such things were going on. I don't go to work to hear a sales pitch about religions - do you?

Being a member of a religion of course is one thing, and talking about it, I think, isn't inappropriate at work, so long as work can be performed (much like asking how someone's weekend was [We went to church. We went to the movies. etc.]). But trying to convince people to join your faith while on company time? I'd say that strikes a note similar to trying to get a coworker to join the Rotary Club while at work. Wouldn't the boss have a problem with such things? Don't such conversations, by their very nature, interfere with productivity?

This isn't a slam on evangelicals. It's just (IMHO) common sense. You can't sit down at work and play 50 rounds of poker, either, not without the boss expressing displeasure. Any other activity that takes up significant time and attention that isn't work-related should also be curtailed, and isn't proselytizing something that, by definition, takes up a significant amount of time and attention?
0 Replies

husker

Reply Thu 22 May, 2003 05:11 pm
What should I think when I repeatidly here the words:
"GOD DAM-IT"
that's like reverse proselytizing
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 22 May, 2003 05:19 pm
husker- I think that goddammit has become a very popular expression of anger or dismay, and really has not a thing to do with religion. I can respect the fact that to a devout person, the word might be perceived as objectionable. Personally, in the presence of a religious person, I would make it my business to avoid those words out of respect for him, but not everybody feels the same as I do.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Thu 22 May, 2003 05:23 pm
I feel - it's just kind of a 2 way street.
0 Replies

babsatamelia

Reply Thu 22 May, 2003 05:29 pm
Oh Lord Jes!! You just reminded me of the weirdest
situation I EVER ran into at work. We had someone
on vacation - so they sent us a new guy to fill in.
WOW, he filled in all right. He tried to convert each
and every one of our pharmacy techs (I told him to
zip it and fill prescriptions) and on his lunch break in
the break room, he went to town on everybody in
there.....telling his story and witnessing & all that.
Good grief Shocked The next week our boss came up
one day, and since I had been working with a guy
named Mike, who felt exactly as I about innapropriate
discussion and remarks - Mike told our boss, "You
know Kevin, I never really had a chance to thank
you for sending us the holy spirit last week. Laughing Our
boss looked befuddled and confused and when I told
him what the new guy was doing - he seemed unsure
of how to act. WalMart used to be such a goody goody
company, family values blah blah blah - but it STILL
doesn't make it right to do this stuff in your place of
employment. It really shocked me. Almost as much
as the weekend fill in pharmacist we had for a couple
months, till we found out that he was next door in the
snack bar, selling people life insurance in his spare time.
Sundays are never really busy, but THAT took some
nerve.
0 Replies

babsatamelia

Reply Thu 22 May, 2003 05:31 pm
BUSH, ought to have his mouth washed out with soap
for even mentioning the merest idea of God - like
we don't know it is just a ploy to make a grab for the
severely religious right. Duh!
0 Replies