If a branch breaks...

Reply Thu 18 May, 2006 10:54 pm
If a branch breaks in a forest and there's nothing around to hear it does it make a noise?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,551 • Replies: 22
No top replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 19 May, 2006 11:55 am
Not if it is a chip off the old block.
0 Replies

tin sword arthur

Reply Fri 19 May, 2006 12:07 pm
Can we start a one hand clapping poll, too?
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Fri 19 May, 2006 12:15 pm
He: May I sit on your right hand at dinner?

She: No, I may need it to eat with.
0 Replies

ZWarriorX

Reply Fri 19 May, 2006 07:49 pm
Just because every branch you have ever seen in your life that broke made a sound doesn't mean every branch that breaks HAS to make a sound.
0 Replies

EmilU

Reply Sat 20 May, 2006 02:06 am
Technically, sound is the movement of molecules in the air when a stimulant is produced, what we perceive as sound is an interpretation of that act. From our point of view, no.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Sat 20 May, 2006 11:29 am
Re: If a branch breaks...
emptyhorizon wrote:
If a branch breaks in a forest and there's nothing around to hear it does it make a noise?

Depends upon your definition of "noise."
0 Replies

emptyhorizon

Reply Sat 20 May, 2006 04:55 pm
I replace "noise" with "sound".

Quote:
sound1 P Pronunciation Key (sound)
n.
Vibrations transmitted through an elastic solid or a liquid or gas, with frequencies in the approximate range of 20 to 20,000 hertz, capable of being detected by human organs of hearing.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Sun 21 May, 2006 06:29 am
emptyhorizon wrote:
I replace "noise" with "sound".

Quote:
sound1 P Pronunciation Key (sound)
n.
Vibrations transmitted through an elastic solid or a liquid or gas, with frequencies in the approximate range of 20 to 20,000 hertz, capable of being detected by human organs of hearing.

If you equate sound (or noise or whatever you want to call it) with vibrations through an elastic solid, liquid, or gas, and you further know, through experience, that breaking branches typically cause those vibrations, and you further know that this particular branch was located in a medium that permits those vibrations (e.g. not in a total vacuum), then the most that you can state with any degree of confidence is that the branch probably makes a sound (in much the same way that you can state with confidence that the sun will probably rise tomorrow).

If, on the other hand, you were to define sound as the sense perception of sound, then it would be certain that the branch would make no sound at all.
0 Replies

nick17

Reply Mon 22 May, 2006 10:27 am
Of course the branch makes a sound, if your saying it's a matter of perception, and you have to see it to hear it, then does it even break. If there's no one there to see it then how do we know it's broken at all?? The whole world could be an illusion it which case, you are an illusion. Unless you take Descartes' cogito but then you have the problem of 'I'. What is 'I'. It implies human existance, if there is I then there must be He, She, They. This wouldnt make sense in an Idealist view, which i presume is what your getting at with the 'does anyone hear it?'. Also with the cogito, what am 'i' 'thinking'??
you could always go along with Berkeley and have an Idealist theory of perception. i.e. 'God is in the quad' or Mill's Phenominalism, completing it and saying that things exist when they are able to be percieved. The branch breaking is able to be heard (from mill's viewpoint, and mine) so it does make a sound.

I have my philosophy exam in 2 weeks Confused
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 22 May, 2006 11:38 am
If a man loads a dishwasher and no one is around to see it, did it really happen?
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 22 May, 2006 11:47 am
nick17 wrote:
I have my philosophy exam in 2 weeks

I suggest you study harder. Your post made little sense.
0 Replies

nick17

Reply Mon 22 May, 2006 12:05 pm
joefromchicago wrote:
nick17 wrote:
I have my philosophy exam in 2 weeks

I suggest you study harder. Your post made little sense.

Iwas just writing stuff when it came into my head
0 Replies

nick17

Reply Mon 22 May, 2006 12:06 pm
Bella Dea wrote:
If a man loads a dishwasher and no one is around to see it, did it really happen?

Was he loading it blindfold?
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 22 May, 2006 12:42 pm
Emil.U wrote:
Technically, sound is the movement of molecules in the air when a stimulant is produced, what we perceive as sound is an interpretation of that act. From our point of view, no.

Well, what if a squirrel heard it?
0 Replies

nick17

Reply Mon 22 May, 2006 01:09 pm
is a squirrel a consious being?
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 22 May, 2006 01:30 pm
nick17 wrote:
is a squirrel a consious being?

Unless the branch whacked it on the head when it broke off.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 22 May, 2006 02:03 pm
nick17 wrote:
Bella Dea wrote:

Was he loading it blindfold?

Nice sense of humor. Rolling Eyes And BummerMan delivers.
0 Replies

aperson

Reply Mon 22 May, 2006 08:01 pm
There is a difference between the branch actually breaking and the sound that it makes when it does. One is a testable reality and the other is not. You can go to the tree the next day to see its branch lying on the ground; it is not so with the sound.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 23 May, 2006 06:57 am
If we were all deaf.... would sound exist?
0 Replies