Guests and the PM?

sozobe

Reply Sat 10 May, 2003 02:58 pm
Guests are almost always Google bots. Craven can address the specifics of why PM viewing would show up, but I really don't think it's anything nefarious.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Sat 10 May, 2003 03:01 pm
sozobe wrote:
Guests are almost always Google bots. Craven can address the specifics of why PM viewing would show up, but I really don't think it's anything nefarious.

Both PM and profile viewing.

The guest has to have a profile, before he/she can view it. To have a profile, you need to register. So if you're registered, why not view your own profile under your sign-on name?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 10 May, 2003 03:05 pm
Well, Google bots just go through webpages. So a profile is a webpage. I'm not claiming expertise on this, just, I'm quite confident that there is a rather pedestrian explanation and that Craven will give it in a bit.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Sat 10 May, 2003 03:06 pm
How do the Google people receive and send PMs?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 10 May, 2003 03:12 pm
It's not a person, it's a bot. Automated.

Anyway, don't worry. I wish I could give you specific reasons not to worry, but I'm not technically savvy enough. What I KNOW is that Craven and Jes have both mentioned that if you see 14 "guests", chances are they are all Google bots.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 10 May, 2003 03:21 pm
A-ha. Found Craven's explanation:

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=2755&highlight=bot+guest%2A#2755

Craven de Kere wrote:
Gee, you guys don't read the explanations I put on the pages do ya? Just kidding! There is no explanation on the index page but I was careful to explain this in detail on the who'd online page.

Here's the rundown:

The who's online stats is really who's on the forum at the time stats.
If you are not viewing pages on the forum you will not be counted in those statistics. So if you stay logged in to the site but navegate away you will not be counted as "online" even if you ARE online.

On this site "online" means "browsing the forums".

------

More about who's online etc:

The stats are based on the last 5 minutes. So you will be on that list for 5 minutes after you leave.

Due to this 5 min window you might see some guests (on the who's online page) posting, viewing private messages etc. Those actions are supposed to be for members but that doesn't mean the security has been compromised. It just means that someone who has logged in within the last 5 minutes is using a rotating IP address (several ISPs do this, most notably AOL).

--

To preempt a future question:

Search engines use robots to index pages, they don't like dynamic pages so I have added code that will allow google to index the site without a guest session ID. So if you ever see google in the who's online section it just means the google robot is indexing the site. This will probably inflate the who's online stats as it will be a spider not a human viewing it.

If that part about google sounds too techie here's the simple version:

Google's robot has a backdoor to the site so the forum can be indexed. So don't be suprised if every few months google shows up in the who's online section. It's just their bot.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Sat 10 May, 2003 04:21 pm
OK!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 10 May, 2003 04:23 pm
Very Happy
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Sat 10 May, 2003 04:23 pm
Razz Razz Razz
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 10 May, 2003 05:55 pm
The answer is on the page you are copying.

Guests can't see PMs or profiles.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 10 May, 2003 05:57 pm
Aha, sozobe already answered it.

I have seen the "guests are almost always google bots" many times. This is not true.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 10 May, 2003 06:02 pm
Noted about Google bots/ guest list. I think that has usually come up in terms of "who are all these people who lurk as guests but don't post??" et al, hence the emphasis on the fact that guests can just be Google bots as opposed to people.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 10 May, 2003 06:07 pm
Most large forums will have more guests online than members.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 10 May, 2003 06:23 pm
steissd wrote:
To Craven de Kere, of course. He/she understands all these computer stuffs better than I do.

Steissd, I believe we have reasonable, albeit not conclusive, evidence that Craven is a male. Enough, in my view, to give him a gendered pronoun when referring to him in the third person.

(I am so withdrawing that apology to Mr Happy if I am wrong!)

"Guest" is a noun which has no indication of gender - therefore NH correctly, in my view, uses she/he.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 10 May, 2003 06:32 pm
Steissd called me Mr. before, he knows my gender.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 10 May, 2003 07:22 pm
I know.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Sun 11 May, 2003 03:37 am
dlowan wrote:
steissd wrote:
To Craven de Kere, of course. He/she understands all these computer stuffs better than I do.

Steissd, I believe we have reasonable, albeit not conclusive, evidence that Craven is a male. Enough, in my view, to give him a gendered pronoun when referring to him in the third person.

(I am so withdrawing that apology to Mr Happy if I am wrong!)

"Guest" is a noun which has no indication of gender - therefore NH correctly, in my view, uses she/he.

Roberta will be proud of the improvement in my use of English grammar.
0 Replies