Got System Down Message When I Used the Back Key?

Reply Thu 7 Nov, 2002 07:34 pm
Twice once yesterday and just now I got the following message when I used the back key in an interaction.

phpBB : Critical Error

Could not connect to the database. This database problem is usually only temporary and typically lasts about 15 minutes. This is due to the fact that my host is not living up to their end of the deal. They have promised me 99 percent uptime but have neglected to follow through and deliver the services I have paid for. Please join with me in complaining by calling them at (310) 314-1608 or writing them at [email protected]. I have several accounts with them and have placed my trust in them only to be let down this way. If you see this message it means that they have once again brushed off my request to end these daily database outages. The only thing I can imagine that could make them care is if they get enough email and calls about this. So please write them at [email protected] and let them know that the database for the fluencynow.com (the domain under which the able2know.com account is registered) account is not working yet again. If this situation continues I will move our site to a new host. Please bear with me. Had I known about their unstable databases I would not have contracted them. In my tests, their speed and reliability were fine, but the more difficult to test issues of database stress did not show. While you are waiting for the site to function again (try again in 15 minutes) please let them know how inscrupulous it is to allow the database to fail so regularly.

But the site was not down as I was able to login again right away. What causes this and do you really want us to contact webpower.com on our own or call them on our own.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,672 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 7 Nov, 2002 07:43 pm
If you see that message, yes, please do tell them how unethical it is to promise 99% uptime and provide such a faulty database.

I will move this site to a new host if this continues.

Sorry about the downtime, good news is that it only lasts about 15 minutes.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 7 Nov, 2002 07:44 pm
Joanne-

I caught this outage for the first time today. Craven is very upset over this, and he WANTS us to make a fuss when the company he contracted with is not living up to their end of the bargain. You know about the "squeeky wheel"!
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 7 Nov, 2002 07:49 pm
But please only complain if you see that message. I was careful to only use that message on the error that is the host's responsibility.

Other errors might not be the host's fault but this one is entirely their doing.
0 Replies

mckenzie

Reply Thu 7 Nov, 2002 07:52 pm
I caught that too, a little while ago. The downtime doesn't bother me, but if that's what you want, okey-dokey.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 7 Nov, 2002 07:58 pm
I e-mailed powerweb with a complaint after seeing your message.

Then, I wasn't able to get in from My Favorites, which is how I usually come here. But when I clicked on the link of an e-mail update alert, it took me right in here. Go figure.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Thu 7 Nov, 2002 08:18 pm
I also emailed a pointed complaint to powerweb. They've got some nerve! Hiss
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Thu 7 Nov, 2002 10:47 pm
OK next time I will send a compaint message. But you know it had to scare me shades of Abuzz.com.
0 Replies