Jeopardy - a Game of Life - RF #71

sumac

Reply Mon 22 May, 2006 09:03 am
This is another fascinating article, which was highlighted on the front page of one or another of the papers I read. It describes in great detail the complexity of factors in doing the right thing, and how it impacts on the livelihood and very existence and survival of certain people.

Ul can tell you about the communities along the western Mexican coast who held sea turtles in high importance in their lives, until they were made to stop harvesting them as they came ashore to lay their eggs.

Read more of the article at:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/05/20/AR2006052000940.html?referrer=email&referrer=email

"Papuans Idle After Buzz Of Prosperity Falls Silent
Indonesia Crackdown Ends Timber Harvest

By Ellen Nakashima
Washington Post Foreign Service
Sunday, May 21, 2006; A19

SIGERAU, Indonesia -- It was afternoon, and Yulianus Tiri lounged on a shady bench next to his house, nursing a half-empty bottle of whiskey.

Tiri recalled wistfully how the Malaysian timber merchants came to town and paid Tiri and other native Papuans for rights to log in jungle that their clans have long considered their own here on the island of New Guinea, in one of Southeast Asia's great tracts of tropical forest.

"People bought televisions, washing machines, CD players -- you could do karaoke in your own home!" the Sougb tribe member exulted, his bare feet swinging beneath him.

But then the Indonesian government was alerted by environmentalists that the forests, once thick and green, were being ravaged by the timber merchants' chain saws. So the government cracked down last year, sent the foreigners fleeing and yanked the licenses that had been issued by the provincial governor.

"And now -- " Tiri said, holding out his empty hands.

As the world's tropical forests shrink in the face of economic development, many environmentalists say that the best way to defend what remains is to give the impoverished local peoples who live in their shadow limited rights to cut trees for their own profit. Millions will be lifted from poverty this way, advocates say, and will acquire along the way an incentive to preserve most of the wood for future generations.

From Mexico to China and Indonesia, governments are adopting this approach. But the results can be unwelcome: scarred forests and shattered communities. Advocates say problems arise from lack of government foresight, unclear or conflicting laws, exploitation by unscrupulous timber barons and the villagers' own lack of sophistication in dealing with the outside world.

"Indonesian law recognizes traditional rights, but clear regulations on how that's going to work have never been developed," said David Kaimowitz, director general of the Center for International Forestry Research, based in Bogor, Indonesia.

Most of the world's tropical forests are government-owned and -managed, despite long-standing claims to the forests by local peoples and the limited ability of governments to protect them, said Andy White, president of the Rights and Resources Group. It is a coalition of conservation and anti-poverty groups, including the forestry research center, that this month launched a global campaign for stronger community rights to forests."
0 Replies

ul

Reply Mon 22 May, 2006 11:32 am
Very Happy Hi Kara, good to see you.
Get your backpack ready..

Danon,
if- yes! Very Happy

Victoria Day today in Canada?
Have a great day, sunshine and all.
0 Replies

danon5

Reply Mon 22 May, 2006 01:58 pm
Dad Gum it.... Dang......Well, I'll be a kiss my ass...... Oh, f--- a duck....... Beats tha s--- outta me........

why I didn't wish you a Happy Victoria Day, ehBeth..............big grin

It's right there on my calender.....

Any way - what is Victoria Day??

---------------

All the above is a sitcom.

Serious note = Kara's suggestion is a great one. If you decide to travel that direction - let us know - I have driven that route many times and have some good suggestions for sites to see - places to go - and people to do......... eeerrrrr something like that...... grin Shocked Very Happy
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Mon 22 May, 2006 02:04 pm
Very Happy Click

http://www.nickyee.com/photoshop/earth-atlantic-800.jpg
0 Replies

danon5

Reply Mon 22 May, 2006 02:06 pm
Amigo,
I like that photo. Great one, thanks
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Mon 22 May, 2006 02:41 pm
No prob Very Happy
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 22 May, 2006 07:36 pm
Hip hip hooray, it's Victoria Day.

Still quite chilly here in Kingston. hamburger and I bundled up to take the dogs for their evening w.a.l.k. (gotta spell that word and c.a.r. around the critters, or they'll get too wound up) We made it back in before the fireworks started - which is good - as Cleo doesn't deal well with the boom boom crack boom.

~~~~~~~~

aktbird57 - You and your 298 friends have supported 2,391,281.7 square feet!

Marine Wetlands habitat supported: 112,819.9 square feet.
You have supported: (0.0)
Your 298 friends have supported: (112,819.9)

American Prairie habitat supported: 52,271.7 square feet.
You have supported: (12,688.4)
Your 298 friends have supported: (39,583.3)

Rainforest habitat supported: 2,226,190.2 square feet.
You have supported: (170,837.9)
Your 298 friends have supported: (2,055,352.4)

~~~~~~~~~~~~

2 391 281.7 square feet = 54.896 acres

~~~~~~~~~~~~
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 22 May, 2006 07:36 pm
and a little test by hamburger of his imageshack account ...

stand by
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Mon 22 May, 2006 07:45 pm
http://img376.imageshack.us/img376/9656/editdsc00192resize21kc.th.jpg

thumbnail

http://img376.imageshack.us/img376/9656/editdsc00192resize21kc.jpg

March 22, 2006

south-america cruise
puerto montt - view of osorno mountain

(more to come - probably in a week or so)
hbg
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 22 May, 2006 08:03 pm
Magnificent, hbg! Keep 'em coming!
0 Replies

danon5

Reply Mon 22 May, 2006 09:06 pm
OMG, there's an illegal alien aircraft hovering over the mountain......!!

Shocked

Very Happy

:wink:

Ok, it's a great photo, hbg........

Keep em coming.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Tue 23 May, 2006 01:15 am
Very Happy Click

Why is it so hard to find Jeopardy Questions online. Confused

Somebody give me a link if you find one.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Tue 23 May, 2006 01:37 am
Amigo wrote:
Very Happy Click

Why is it so hard to find Jeopardy Questions online. Confused

Somebody give me a link if you find one.

Can't you ask your own questions?
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Tue 23 May, 2006 01:39 am
Try to ask a trivia question in the jeopardy format. I'm going to need about 15 of them.

Did you click in buddy???
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Tue 23 May, 2006 01:45 am
Click!

If I understood the format here you give the answer and the others ask the question which matches..

A: Okawango.

Q: ?
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Tue 23 May, 2006 01:48 am
Is there more then one possible answer?

I told you.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Tue 23 May, 2006 01:50 am
I hardly consider that would be more than one answer, as there's something very special there..
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Tue 23 May, 2006 01:55 am
Not bad Francis. (wise guy)

Okawango.

http://www.casemada.de/images/weltaufnahmen/okawango-delta-sonnenuntergang.jpg
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Tue 23 May, 2006 01:58 am
So, what's your question for that answer?
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Tue 23 May, 2006 03:17 am
Tomorrow
0 Replies