Walter and his strange german diet

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 13 May, 2006 12:17 pm
Interesting, Miss Letty. Thank you for gathering the info. Now we know
it was a Mr. French who invented the "French's Toast", just like Caesar Cardini invented "Caesar's Salad".
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 13 May, 2006 12:43 pm
Exactly, C.J. and Caesar salad did not originally have anchovies in it, but I add them. Razz

Now, who's up for Welsh RABBIT, and it is NOT Welsh rarebit. That rarebit part was a euphemism.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 13 May, 2006 12:45 pm
Ever-body knows a Welsh rarebit is a virgin from Cardiff.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Sat 13 May, 2006 01:10 pm
So many informational tidbits!

On NPR there was a story not too long ago about fry bread and how it's contributing to epidemic diabetes and growing heart disease on American Indian Reservations. Fry bread was introduced to the reservations between the 1860's through 1960's, as the US government gave away cheap, surplus commodities such as flour and lard to the various reservations.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4975889 Tribes, Nutritionists Clash on Fry Bread
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Sat 13 May, 2006 02:02 pm
just to complete the saga of fry bread, there's also a variant known as a Navaho taco, which i haven't tried yet, but i believe it's basically a taco that substitutes fry bread for the usual tortilla.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 13 May, 2006 02:22 pm
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
I eat hamburgers. Plain and simple.

me too
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Sat 13 May, 2006 03:46 pm
just ate a churro--closest thing to fry bread i could find. Very Happy
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 13 May, 2006 04:12 pm
I had 'Gringo Breakfast' today Embarrassed
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 13 May, 2006 04:12 pm
Very Happy

I was trying to think of the closest thing to fried bread I eat. I couldn't come up with anything. My first job as a teenager was at a Dunkin' Donuts. Other than a single bite of a beignet, just to try them, I don't think I've eaten fried dough since.

There were some fried meat pies in New Orleans that everyone was raving about - no thanks.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 13 May, 2006 04:21 pm
BBB
I will soon be driving to Dys and Diane's house to have dinner with the uncouth Walter. I'm bringing sushi.

BBB
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 13 May, 2006 04:28 pm
Yum!!!!
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 13 May, 2006 04:38 pm
walter
sems that every country has its own version of "fried bread" .
the canadian kind -mainly available in the ottawa area - is called "beaver tail" .

http://www.ne.jp/asahi/minose/home/log/20040619_ottawa/DSC02102.JPG

here people are lining up for "beaver tails" .
the picture was probably taken during a mild canadian summer day !

http://www.jsingler.de/canada/ottawa_january/img_det/108_0849_detail.JPG
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Sat 13 May, 2006 04:55 pm
When I lived in Kensington Market in Toronto I used to get a type of fry bread at a nearby Chinese bakery. They were shaped like mini baguettes. Yum. Any pow wow I've been to in the North has Indian Tacos -- fry bread with the typical taco fillings. Worth saving up the calories for an occasional treat.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Sat 13 May, 2006 07:14 pm
We eat the sopapilla versions here as desert, with some powdered sugar and honey poured on top.

mmm . . . sopapillas
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 13 May, 2006 08:04 pm
My brunch, the same meal that Walter had his "gringo breakfast", was a new one on me, hot chili beef dip sandwich with coleslaw. Turned out to be some sorta crusty beef bits stacked into what seemed a slightly fried hot dog bun, with a dish of chile colorado and a dish of coleslaw on the side. All this accompanied by San Felipe lemon ice tea, another first. (I usually don't adulterate my tea or coffee...) Not bad at all, except mebbe for my arteries.
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Sat 13 May, 2006 08:51 pm
Fried bread in Japan..

http://hikari-hikari.cocolog-nifty.com/hikari/images/P4040453-3.JPG
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 13 May, 2006 09:47 pm
Satt, sorry you didn't make it to Chicago last week...
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Sat 13 May, 2006 10:25 pm
ossobuco wrote:
Satt, sorry you didn't make it to Chicago last week...

Sorry, but I let Walter know the reason why didn't .. Embarrassed
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 13 May, 2006 10:36 pm
Aw, that's ok, Satt..
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sun 14 May, 2006 01:43 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Eva: dys is the incarnation of the evil - having started this thread mades him even worse .... and could make me a lot more depressive.

I'm sorry to hear this horrible Dys is giving you such a bad time. Despair not, my friend, just three more days, and you will be safely back at home, where you can relax with a good, old-fashioned, German Gyros.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/06/2024 at 03:42:35