Walter and his strange german diet

ossobuco

Reply Fri 12 May, 2006 09:41 pm
Hmmm, 9:40, Roger should be pulling up to your curb soon...
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 13 May, 2006 07:05 am
Eva, Mr B tells me they were serving fry bread at the same stand as the maqechoux we enjoyed so much at JazzFest. The shrimp and sausage maqechoux was delicious. I'd have to pass on fried dough whether it's called fry bread, beignets, or funnel cake.

Walter, enjoy the rest of your stay in dys&diane land!
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Sat 13 May, 2006 08:51 am
J_B wrote:
I'd have to pass on fried dough whether it's called fry bread, beignets, or funnel cake.

it's poor nutritionally and a reason why there's a lot of obesity on reservations, but it's delicious, naturally. Razz
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 13 May, 2006 08:58 am
ossobuco wrote:
Hmmm, 9:40, Roger should be pulling up to your curb soon...

Roger arrived here half an hour before you posted that.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 13 May, 2006 08:59 am
yitwail wrote:

it's poor nutritionally and a reason why there's a lot of obesity on reservations, but it's delicious, naturally. Razz

I fully agree :wink:
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 13 May, 2006 09:06 am
Eva wrote:
J_B wrote:
Fry bread? What the hell is fry bread? If you tell me you eat fried bread for dinner, I'm gonna choke.

Fry bread is Indian (Native American) bread. Should be a safe choice at anyplace called the Sleeping Ute Cafe', I would think.

http://i19.ebayimg.com/03/i/00/91/cb/d0_1.JPG

Every Saturday morning, my grandmother baked all the bread for the following week. She was up and the bread was cooling by the time we got out of bed. She always saved bread dough and fried it for us for breakfast. We called 'em "dog ears," though. We'd slit the edges, and pull them apart, and spread butter and our homemade preserves (strawberry, blackberry, raspberry, etc.) on 'em. Goooooooooooooooooood eatin' ! ! !
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 13 May, 2006 09:11 am
J_B wrote:
Eva, Mr B tells me they were serving fry bread at the same stand as the maqechoux we enjoyed so much at JazzFest. The shrimp and sausage maqechoux was delicious. I'd have to pass on fried dough whether it's called fry bread, beignets, or funnel cake.

Hmm, in Hungary: lángos.. fried bread, with, hmm, cheese and cream ... lovely.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 13 May, 2006 09:16 am
nimh wrote:
Hmm, in Hungary: lángos.. fried bread, with, hmm, cheese and cream ... lovely.

Kérek szépen egy sajtos-tejfölös lángost...

http://schrodinger.freeblog.hu/Files/images2/langos.jpg
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 13 May, 2006 09:22 am
Really glad to know that Rog made it okay. My ISP isn't functioning, so I couldn't check on him.

Don't know about fry bread, but French toast is wonderful. Well, one does fry it.

http://www.grampastudios.com/photography/French_Toast.jpg
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 13 May, 2006 10:29 am
How did you know Miss Letty? Little Jane just had French toast with
raspberries and tons of syrup (luckily she hasn't noticed yet, that it's the
sugarfree kind).
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 13 May, 2006 10:52 am
Well, for one thing, C.J. It's easy to fix and delicious. Ah, your little Jane doesn't need any sugar, honey. She's already sweet enough.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 13 May, 2006 10:53 am
You cain't git no French Toast in France--one of the reasons i don't go there for breakfast.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 13 May, 2006 11:02 am
Can't get no decent orange juice in Florida, Setanta. That's why I make my own.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 13 May, 2006 11:08 am
The origination of "fry bread" is that when the Navaho (Dine') were placed on their current "reservation" they were issued food commodities which consisted of (among a few other items) flour and sugar. Being hungy and resourceful the combined the flour and sugar coming up with "fry bread."
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 13 May, 2006 11:09 am
I don't know why they call it "French" toast. Perhaps someone got some outstanding toast served by a French waiter Laughing
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 13 May, 2006 11:10 am
dys wrote:
Walter orders hamburger steak with mash potatos and green beans with orange juice.

Walter is a helluva nice guy but I don't believe he is right in the head.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 13 May, 2006 11:11 am
Mmmmm.... fry bread! Love that stuff (in small doses).
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 13 May, 2006 11:29 am
The importance of punctuation, y'all:

French Toast

First made at a roadside tavern not far from the city of Albany in 1724, there are few dishes more truly American than the breakfast favorite known as "French toast". So American is the dish that very few can understand why it is not called "American toast", "Albany Toast" or even "New York State toast".

The confusion comes about because the owner of the tavern at which the dish was invented had a very poor knowledge of grammar. When Joseph French decided to name the dish after himself he should have written his invention as "French's toast" (that is to say, the toast of French). Because he did not know how to use the possessive apostrophe, however, the dish appeared on his menu simply as "French toast". In short, the dish has nothing whatever to do with French culinary history but in the two hundred and seventy years that have intervened, no one has taken the time to correct the grammatical error.

French's Toast Very Happy
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 13 May, 2006 11:47 am
Navaho fry bread is a minor varriation of sopapilla, sopaipa.

[soh-pi-PEE-yuh]
This crisp, puffy, deep-fried pastry resembles an air-filled pillow. The sopaipilla is thought to have originated in Albuquerque, New Mexico, more than 200 years ago. It's a favorite Southwestern U.S. dessert, usually served with honey or syrup flavored with anise or cinnamon. Sopaipillas are also sometimes filled with savory ingredients like refried beans.

A crisp, puffy, deep-fried pastry often served with honey or syrup. Etymology: American Spanish, diminutive of Spanish sopaipa, fried dough sweetened with honey, from earlier xopaipa, from Mozarabic xupaipa, diminutive of úppa, súppa, bread soaked in oil, from Old Spanish sopa, food soaked in liquid, of Germanic origin. Source

Sopaipillas can be made with OSO-ONO Fried Dessert Dough.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 13 May, 2006 11:49 am
I eat hamburgers. Plain and simple.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/05/2024 at 11:03:00